ending the madness

Old 09-24-2009, 08:12 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I've removed the bickering posts on this thread. Please stay on-topic: if it isn't helpful and supportive to the original poster, don't post it.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:25 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by transformyself View Post
tjp here is the blog entry. I better check it for swears...
YUM. Yoga is awesome.

I'm sad because now I'm too fat for yoga Well, you combine 40# of extra weight PLUS horrible inflexibility and you get someone who can't do yoga anymore. <sigh>.... Someday!!
Old 09-24-2009, 08:32 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

tjp, that's the WONDERFUL thing about yoga, and why more doctors are recommending programs like yoga and tai chi for people who are older, overweight, or sedentary.

There's no such thing as being too inflexible for an activity that's designed to teach you flexibility For example, I attend a class that's "yoga for health and flexibility"....you only do what you can, and every week all of the folks can do a bit more, even me. I'm overweight and I'm no Gumby

transform, thanks for the blog entry too. Wonderful stuff.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:04 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mitsy View Post
And this kind of goes back to the healthy anger I've mentioned. You MUST keep an element of anger against the drunk - otherwise, they will continue to play their manipulative games & "get" to you. That anger is what has kept me from feeling sorry for Robert. It's kept me from going back to a very bad relationship. I encourage those dealing with this to embrace what helps them to move on from dysfunctional & toxic living situations. Drunks will continue to abuse any and everyone around them. They MUST NOT be allowed to continue that abuse.
Wow, lotta anger there. Have read it's not a good idea to stay in any emotional state for too long a time, counterproductive to 'moving on'.

Myself, I don't have to be angry with my ex to recall the bad stuff-the reason I left the relationship, and for me, the anger also served another unhealthy function, letting myself off the hook, not acknowledging my own responsibility to leave when the bad stuff started happening.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:25 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
I Love Who I Am

That's right Give Love..
This is one of the things this form of yoga does. Helps us change our defeatist attitudes. You dont' have to do it perfectly and it's a beginning class. you don't have to do anything initially but stay in the room and not run out screaming! I was 40 pounds overwieght when I started, still am about 20, but after about 6 minutes of sweating and working it doesn't matter. You 're so focused on yourself that you don't worry about what other folks think of you. You just have to challenge yourself, overcome the ugly talk we give ourselves and use your determination.

I know you folks here are Al anon people and I have gone there as well, but this-this form of yoga-is where all my ability to end the madness begins. I focus on myself and work this program.

I won't be an evangelizing yogi, but will encourage you to not think of yourself as too fat for anything. Except maybe a size 2 bikini For now. Anything is possible. Miracles happen. I'm determined to put those beliefs into action.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:36 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by transformyself View Post
I know you folks here are Al anon people and I have gone there as well, but this-this form of yoga-is where all my ability to end the madness begins. I focus on myself and work this program.
Recovery is a beautiful thing no matter the means you use to get there. I am not a 12-stepper either, but I have a lot of respect for people in recovery, no matter what method they use to achieve it.

You go girl!

L
Old 09-24-2009, 09:48 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
I Love Who I Am

12 Stepper! I love that term. I used to have a dance company and it brings to mind an image of 6 women, all stepping together.

Sorry, 6 people, all stepping together.

My al anon experiences are minimal, but I know it to be a place where folks work hard and really help each other. They've certainly been a source of comfort, support and inspiration for me when I've gone.

Listen, I gotta get to work! What are we, a bunch of hippies, laying around and yakkin all day???

Oh I crack myself up.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:53 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

What are we, a bunch of hippies, laying around and yakkin all day???
And your problem with that is.........?
Old 09-24-2009, 09:57 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
I Love Who I Am

Ha!

Well, my original thought was to write, What are we? A bunch of hippies layin around doing it all day? but thought that would not be family appropriate.

Glad you see the humor in it! I've been called a hippie and subscribe to the happy hippie lifestyle in many ways..had all my kids at home, eat meat but use alternative medicines when appropriate.

And you should have seen the hippie kids at this gig I went to last night. I go to the bar cause I have to write about bands, and generally don't like it. Stinky, smoky, drunks. Ew. But these hippie kids were somethin else lemme tell ya. Hello? Patchuli (or however that's spelled) is NOT a replacement for bathing!
Old 09-24-2009, 10:58 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sailorjohn View Post
Wow, lotta anger there. Have read it's not a good idea to stay in any emotional state for too long a time, counterproductive to 'moving on'.

Myself, I don't have to be angry with my ex to recall the bad stuff-the reason I left the relationship, and for me, the anger also served another unhealthy function, letting myself off the hook, not acknowledging my own responsibility to leave when the bad stuff started happening.
Oh for sure..part of that anger is for not bailing sooner so it's two-fold. But what I have found is that until the girlfriend or wife (or boyfriend or husband) gets angry enough, fed up enough with the addiction of someone, they usually don't take the steps necessary to heal themselves or get out of the situation. It's not an easy process but I see the anger as a productive element to change (at least for some of us). If I continued in my pity for my drunk guy, I would still be with him and that would not be good at all. Unfortunately, the drunk usually stays angry at others for their own shortcomings & that doesn't help them get sober. Until they face their own demons, it will all just get worse.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:28 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mitsy View Post
Oh for sure..part of that anger is for not bailing sooner so it's two-fold. But what I have found is that until the girlfriend or wife (or boyfriend or husband) gets angry enough, fed up enough with the addiction of someone, they usually don't take the steps necessary to heal themselves or get out of the situation. It's not an easy process but I see the anger as a productive element to change (at least for some of us). If I continued in my pity for my drunk guy, I would still be with him and that would not be good at all. Unfortunately, the drunk usually stays angry at others for their own shortcomings & that doesn't help them get sober. Until they face their own demons, it will all just get worse.
I agree that anger is what helped motivate me to get out of the situation. But, it did nothing to help me heal. In order for the healing to begin, I needed to face MY own demons.

L
Old 09-24-2009, 01:36 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaTeeDa View Post
I agree that anger is what helped motivate me to get out of the situation. But, it did nothing to help me heal. In order for the healing to begin, I needed to face MY own demons.

L
My only demon was sticking with an alcoholic who I should have ended things with within a few months--not 2 years.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:29 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

My brother and his wife have been on me to start yoga. Right now I am just enjoying running. I started it two years ago when I was 39 and it brings me peace.

One of these days I would like to try yoga or Tai-Chi. I meditate and find that very useful for releaving stress.