What is this?

Old 09-16-2009, 08:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What is this?

I cleaned out the refrigerator and washed off all the shelves. The alcoholic comes over to me and with an intimidating voice says, "I just cleaned the refrigerator, so clean up any spills you make". What exactly is this? Does he even know what he is doing?
Old 09-16-2009, 09:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If he is actively drinking, then he isn't making much sense is he?

Do you need to understand it?
Old 09-16-2009, 09:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well, I've found that it's not really possible for me to explain, understand, or predict the behaviors of crazy people.

So, I've given up trying.

That leaves me lots of time and energy to spend on protecting myself and distancing myself from their craziness.....and, also, some to spend on being grateful that I personally don't have to "do crazy."

freya
Old 09-16-2009, 11:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow ... I know how frustrating this can be...
My AH came into the kitchen the other day while I was cooking and kept turning the stove off and taking the pot off the stove (and I had just started cooking... so the food was far from being done). I guess he thought he was the one cooking or I was burning his food or something! Just one of many examples!

In these moments he reminds me of an insane person... or someone that has Alzheimer or Dementia... he just has no idea what's going on around him.

I just try to ignore him when he gets like that, which is somewhat challenging at times. I wouldn't even bother explaining to him that it's you who is cleaning the fridge... probably wouldn't get through to him!
Old 09-16-2009, 12:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

*This* is craziness and hilarious Sorry, but your post just reminded me of how nice life is without an alcoholic in it anymore.

WOL, it's the insanity of an alcoholic. I don't think their timeline for the present is even the same as ours. Maybe he cleaned it last year and figured that *hard work* still applies here and now. Heck, maybe he thought about cleaning it, got confused, and figured he probably did clean it. Double heck, but maybe he decided that the thought was just as good as actually doing it. Either way, he found a reason to quack, since we all know that's what they like to do. :crazy
Old 09-16-2009, 12:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Can I move in with you Dothi? LOL I feel like a fruitcake dealing with this stuff. It really messes with my head, then I wind up wondering what is coming next.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Unless he's gaslighting. That's deliberately trying to make you crazy by claiming things that are not true, but you can't prove it. After a bunch of these episodes, you may wonder, is it him or is it me? Am I losing my mind? That's when they get to you. Don't let him rock you. Although I am a bit worried about the "intimidating voice." Are you in danger of being beaten?

Love,
KJ
Old 09-16-2009, 01:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

His violent temper isn't what it used to be like. I just am trying to figure out if I am crazy, if not, how to deal with it.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

worthyoflove, what you do you mean by "his violent temper isn't what it used to be like"?
Old 09-16-2009, 04:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

My 72 year old Dad sometimes throws the phone at my 69 year old Mom.
He also "cleans out" the refrigerator and throws all her diet stuff away.
He also goes through her closets and her bedroom and throws her personal things away. It really hurts her feelings. It breaks my heart. Especially when she calls me, crying.