It seems XABF has totally transformed!

Old 09-01-2009, 01:10 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Learn2Live View Post
Hey Queenie, a man can be like that regardless of whether or not he is alcoholic or addicted. I had a boyfriend like that--no addictions, didn't even smoke. It was bizarre!
well i guess i can add that to the list of everything wrong with him...alcoholic, weed addict, narcissistic...and JUST PLAIN JERK. of course i'm overreacting a tad, but it brings to mind what others have said here, take away the addictive behaviors and you still have a mean, selfish person.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:14 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

So this Wonderman has "recovered" from his addiction, got a job, is supporting a woman and her 4 kids and is on top of the world,......all this in 2 months!!!

Gosh!! Think I just saw the tooth fairy, Santa Claus, Easter Bunny and a battalion of pink pigs, all fly past my window. At least I could believe more in these characters than in your XABF having this miraculous change of character......or in it lasting very long.
I'd liken it to a mirage....looks good, looks real, but it aint either.

You, on the other hand CAN make real and lasting changes to yourself and your life. You, like us all here in one way or the other, have spent OURtime, energy, money, mind, heart, soul and love, on folk who took all we gave and so often threw our precious gifts back in our faces. Only when we finally wore out and could not stand our lives anymore, did we seek help and learn how to get off the treadmill of misery.

There has been so much wonderful support and suggestions posted here that can make a difference for anyone who follows them.

I hope you can get off his case very soon, and begin taking care of yours, so that you get the future you so definitely deserve.

God bless
Old 09-02-2009, 04:47 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Aaaaaw thank you Jadmack. I know that no matter how he's looking back and telling himself I was to him, deep down he doesn't have a leg to stand on. He was forever telling me I was too sweet for my own good, should stand up to him more, was so lovely and he'd never ever met a girl like me. (Admittedly I am very laid back and don't really have an argumentative side and I - naively - worshipped him so just did what I could to make life easier and happier for him - how we learn our lesson!). So to transform me from that to the wicked witch of the west will be quite an achievement, even by his standards.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:54 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

JUST PLAIN JERK
I think this is a disease too LOL! Cause I've known a lot of men like this.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:08 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Amen to that! I thought a couple of months ago that I was ready to date again. There was a guy that asked me out and I said yes. He stood me up the night of our date. Never called, texted, e-mailed, sent telepathic signals, smoke signals...nothing to let me know he wasn't coming. I politely let it go and thanked my Higher Power for protecting me from this person. After that experience, I politely retreated back to the non-dating world.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:03 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Oh Amy how you're better off without him! I have to say though, if it happens to me again I hope it happens early on in the relationship before I get too emotionally involved than before I get sucked in hook, line and sinker. I never, ever, EVER imagined he would do this to me. He was so protective and loving all the time. My friends were totally taken in by his apparent besottedness too. I know right now I'm better off on my own. But I do kind of miss being in a relationship. Going to have to pick very carefully from now on!
Old 09-02-2009, 09:26 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sclarke64448 View Post
Oh Amy how you're better off without him! I have to say though, if it happens to me again I hope it happens early on in the relationship before I get too emotionally involved than before I get sucked in hook, line and sinker. I never, ever, EVER imagined he would do this to me. He was so protective and loving all the time. My friends were totally taken in by his apparent besottedness too. I know right now I'm better off on my own. But I do kind of miss being in a relationship. Going to have to pick very carefully from now on!
Hey Sam! When I think back to my A XBF, I remember how he chased me for a month trying to get me to go out with him. I finally accepted his invitation to dinner one night. I was amazed at how he was presented all the characteristics I thought I wanted in a guy. We had the best time together. He was so attentive, caring, sweet, and loving and continued to be that way for 4 months, then his attitude toward me changed out of the blue. He became a person that I didn't recognise. I stayed in the relationship for 8 more months hoping that the guy I fell in love with would appear again....well he never did. One of my friends that has known him for years told me that the guy I fell in love with really doesn't exist. She said that he has always been a master manipulator and that her and her husband knew that we wouldn't last because they knew the real him would appear sooner or later. The "real him" is an alcoholic who has no desire to change his life. His "nice persona" is a facade. The minute that I called him on his alcoholism, he moved on to another woman/enabler while supposedly being in a monogomous relationship with me. Here is the thing, as long as an alcoholic is in active addiction, their only care in the world is where their next drink comes from. I too miss being in a romantic relationship with a man, but I realize that I need to get comfortable with myself before I can move forward with dating. I want to feel stronger in my recovery from codependency, and I just don't feel strong enough in that area yet. I just scheduled an appointment with a new therapist who specializes in addiction, eating disorders, and relationship issues for next week. I have to learn to love myself ....which seems to not be as easy as I thought it would be. Keep your fingers crossed for me that this therapist is a good fit. The one I met with a couple of weeks ago ended up talking about her divorce, instead of my issues
Old 09-02-2009, 10:38 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CNMC2C View Post
SC,
If you have an Alcoholic Horse Thief and take away the Alcohol what do you have.....A Horse Thief. Sometimes I think that we give the alcohol way too much credit for people's behaviors. Maybe your A XBF is just an idiot, with or without the alcohol. I know that you have went no contact with him, but by allowing yourself to hear all of this stuff about him, you are still in contact with him. I too am guilty of this and am now realizing how it has kept me hooked to my A XBF, and I'm a year out of the relationship. I realize that I am additcted to drama and even though I don't see or speak to him, hearing what insane thing he has done this time....feeds my drama high. Gosh that feeling is such a rush, but I now realize that I have to stop it. I have to stop people from telling me about him and quit keeping tabs on him so that I can continue to get better. The best advice I can give you is to cut him off completely. Don't make the same mistake I have and allow yourself to stay hooked to him, by allowing yourself to listen to what he has going on in his life. Your A XBF has moved on without you, and I know it hurts like hell. So, you have to allow yourself to heal and move on.

Have you read Codependent No More? I'm reading it, again. You should check it out if you haven't already.

PS) I seriously doubt that you will ever get repaid by your A XBF, because I'm pretty sure that he will spend it all to feed his addiction. No, I don't believe for a second that your A XBF has changed at all, he's just moved on to his next enabler and is in the honeymoon phase. But, that's just my opinion.
A person that was a horse thief before alcoholism would still be one with alcohol removed,

HOWEVER; chemical addiction can and does make even the most honest hardworking educated people into liars, scammers, con artists, thieves. This is not disputed and, additionally, I have seen it with my own eyes after wife developed alcoholism.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:44 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Smile

Recently scientists have identified this specific "gene" in the male species...

A glimmer of hope exists for the future as gene therapy may help the male species rid itself of this gene.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:59 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

We had the best time together. He was so attentive, caring, sweet, and loving and continued to be that way for 4 months, then his attitude toward me changed out of the blue.
This also I have found that even the non-addicted/non-alcoholic men do. One man I fell for (NO addiction WHATSOEVER, past or present) was like this for only 2 months before changing. My wise old Mom still gives the same old advice that when you meet a guy, hold out for as long as you can because once you give in, they change on you. And then you're TRAPPED! Either in a marriage or emotionally, or both.

It's strange because I actually thought that if I just picked someone who appeared healthy by "normal" standards, and if I avoided all men with alcoholism or other addictions, that I would be "safe" and have a successful relationship. Boy, had I fooled myself!

As for staying single awhile, the longer I live alone, the longer I enjoy my peace and serenity, the more I don't want to have to live with another man. Especially one who wants to walk through life with his head in the clouds, ignoring the obvious about himself.

Thanks everybody for being there for me and listening to me!
Old 09-02-2009, 01:16 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Cool

I guess my conclusion is we are all changing day by day, but there are people that change for the worse or keep the status quo, and others that try to change for the best. If you pick someone who also has this goal then you can be relaxed and know he will change, just lke you, but it will be to something great.... and if you decide to part ways for whatever reason it will be a healthy way... with a good memory and good hopes towards the ex. So you are safe.. its all a matter of having a healthy "picker" !!!

Sometimes I wonder how I survived so many years without BASIC learnings

/my experience is as valid and true as anyone's
/the ability to recognize quacking
/knowing I got the option to remove myself from said quacking.. I DONT HAVE TO LISTEN !
/a friend is different from a coworker who is different from a "contact"
/knowing people lie all the time and many are just out to get something
/knowing most people are greatly hurt and act out their childhood stuff, they never seek help or recognize where this comes from.
/knowing happiness resides in me and me only
/understanding I dont know ALL the story, my vision of things is very limited and for someone somewhere this all makes total sense.. someday I'll find out why.. for now I know what I am supposed to know, not more, not less
/I am not defined by my past

I have floated without direction but now I know where I want to be... and I know more of who I am.. I am a woman that has higher standards for a partner and won't swallow any disrespect of any type from anyone anymore !