dad realized he needs help

Old 08-31-2009, 08:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

dad realized he needs help

He dosen't have any problems with alcohol or drugs. But today he was saying he knows he needs help. Theres something not quite right in his brain. He has problems with doing things like paperwork. He worries so much that he'll do something wrong that he's procrastinates and is absolutely terrified of doing the paperwork and then sending it in and finding something wrong.
He's working on his taxes that he's procrastinated to do since the beginning of the year. I'm not sure how to help him. I'm also afraid of helping him and him just depending on me even more. He doesn't really depend on me for emotional support. Just for help with work. He also asked the whole family yesterday to help him to remember to invoice the people he works for. He also wants us to help him to remember to pay bills. I'm not sure if i really should help him with those things. Or, how much. Because it really needs to be him figuring out a system to remind himself.

anyway. Just had to get that out.
~03fifteen
Old 08-31-2009, 09:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

If as you say this is not due to alcohol or drugs, then please CONVINCE HIM TO GET TO A DOCTOR.

I don't know your fathers age but this sounds like dementia of some kind, and the causes can be many. Without a thorough work up by a Dr you will not know.

As to helping him, I don't know if that is codie behavior. He is having a legitimate problem.

When a similiar thing started with my Dad, all my mother did was complain about his forgetfulness. When I was there for a visit, unannounced (due to her complaining) I got Dad to go to the doctor, Dr found the problem, Dr fixed the problem, and Dad was no longer 'forgetful' so mom had to find something else to complain about. lol

Please, if at all possible, get your Dad to a Dr ASAP.

J M H O

Prayers going out for you and your family.

Love and hugs,
Old 08-31-2009, 10:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

He's the type of person that doctors himself. One time he cut his leg at work and stitched himself up. I'm not sure. But i'll try. I'm not sure about dementia. I'm more afraid of that in my mom. Her dad had Alzheimer, but it was a form that progressed fast. (my dad is in his mid 40s and my mom is almost 50)
Old 08-31-2009, 01:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

He sounds just like my ex boyfriend who has ADHD. Google ADHD and adult and see if anything looks familiar.

Could he just be denying he has problems with alcohol and drugs?

Just a suggestion,
spinner
Old 08-31-2009, 01:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Your dad's "forgetfulness" could be due to a number of causes and the only way to find out for sure is to see a doctor. Leaving it can only allow it to get worse in some cases, when finding out could see it handled correctly.

One of the people in my set of units was much like this, and afraid of bad news, so didn't go for help til late. Turned out to be an electrolyte imbalance, and was sorted out very quickly.

Do try to get him to seek medical help.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'll try. I want him to get the help if he needs it. (i think everyone in our house needs help, personally.) I know he dosen't have drug or alcohol problems. but there may be other ones that i dont know about.