New and looking for help with codependency.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New and looking for help with codependency.

Hello All.
I'm Mousey. I've just recently realized (with the help of some friends) that i have problems with co-dependence. I didn't grow up with anyone that had an addiction. But my mother was always sick, and my dad worked alot. And still now they aren't a very good model of a healthy relationship. I've been in a relationship for about 3 years, most of it being a long distance relationship. I've realized that it is an unhealthy relationship, and that both of us are very codependent. We are currently taking a break from each other and that is when we have both realized this problem in ourselves. I'm glad that i've found this out. And i hope i can work on this, thats why I tried to find a forum for help with this. A friend of mine is also sending me a book. And I dont know if anyone else knows about this but I'm also and HSP (highly sensitive person). This dosen't help. We take things very hard and personally even when others didn't mean it that way. We also analyze things deeply.

I guess thats all for now. Thank you for listening.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi! Welcome to the forum!

One book that I've found amazingly helpful: Melody Beattie's Codependent No More. I find I have to keep re-reading this book, over and over. I've seen so much of myself in the patterns she describes, and she gives really helpful advice for how to change.

There are also codependents anonymous groups that have regular meetings. You might also find al-anon helpful.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

A friend of my got me "The New Codependency" by Melody Beattie. I'm wainting to get it and see what it says. It sounds like a good book.