? about an al-anon rule.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

? about an al-anon rule.

Bear with me here, may not have my facts straight.

My wife asked my opinion about a supposed rule in al-anon. I've been to al-anon, but consider myself an AAer. Thought maybe someone here might know or be able to point me to where I might find some info.

She explained this rule as being something to the effect that if someone attends both AA and al-anon, they are limited at some service level with respect to serving as members on regional groups and above.

She asked me because her group and others are struggling with this, trying to get it changed, and can't seem to get many details, history, justification, etc.

Anyone know anything about this?
Old 08-25-2009, 10:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Interesting. I've been doing service work for years and never heard of anything like that, and I attend meetings and do service for three programs. Maybe I'm uninformed?
Old 08-25-2009, 10:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My group has several members that attend AA and Alanon and hold service positions. I never heard of that rule either.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

Not talking about any service position, but specifically the GR position and above.

I found this - supposedly part of the the service manual:
REQUIREMENTS
Any Al-Anon or Alateen member who is willing to represent the group at the district and area assembly, and who is not also a member of AA, is eligible to serve as GR. A GR should have a basic knowledge of Al-Anon and Alateen Traditions and Concepts of Service and how they work.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I have done 'service work' in both AA and Alanon have been a GSR for my AA home group at one time and a GSR for my Al-Anon home group at one time, but NOT AT THE SAME TIME.

I have never had any 'negative' feed back on it. So I am no help here. When I was GSR for my Al-Anon home group there were several others that came to the Regional Meetings that were also 'double winners' (members of both organizations).

So I have no idea what the above pertains to or when it was added to the 'requirements.'

J M H O

Love and hugs,