New job, new people... and yes there is alcoholism!

Old 08-14-2009, 04:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New job, new people... and yes there is alcoholism!

I started a new job a few weeks ago. Love the job, and the people are great.

There is another woman in the office who works near me, that I just met this week. She'd been out on a medical leave. She had pancreas problems.
She's been on thin ice at work I've learned from others. Seems she has a drinking problem, but a bigger problem with her AB. He's a raging alcoholic and abusive too from what I've been told.

Her workstation is next to mine, and I can't help but to hear her phone conversations. She is on the phone frequently with her AB throughout the day. Listening to her (with being so very aware of her situation) - I am picking up on huge amounts of enabling. She is so very co-dependent it is sad.

My only point in posting this is: just another example that "it" is all around us, at work, at school, in the courts, on the highway. Can't seem to get clear of this affliction!
Old 08-14-2009, 05:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Thanks for the update! I'm happy things are working out for you with your new job.

I started a new job in the spring. Rumor had it at the work place that one of my co-workers was addicted to prescription pain pills. I dismissed it as gossip. After about 4 weeks of chaos, I hit my panic button! I could hear the pipe organ of the merry-go-round cranking up! No not another addict in my life.

I was able to talk with a friend who has more recovery experience than I about my fear of having another addict in my life. She told me her personal philosophy on addicts. She accepts that she will always have them in her life. Some will eventually ask her for help and recovery. Some will be there to remind her of how far she has come. Her role is to watch and wait. She didn't cause it, she can't control it, she can't cure it.

The same tools we used in recovering from a personal relationship with an addict will assist us in our business relationships.

Keep on keeping on!
Old 08-14-2009, 05:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
1 Corinthians 13:1-13 love

What was meant for evil God uses for good.

it's like in the last 2 months they are coming out of the wood work around me.

Actually RAs are coming out of the woodwork and they support me. People who are coming out of the woodwork with alcoholics in their life I end up sharing and supporting.

Trying2survive, you are now a strong tool in the hands of a mighty God!:-) Entrusted to share something that only you can share. The response is in God's hands. ( And I figure you know all this, i am just encouraging you and reminding you that God now uses you as a healer because you understand suffering,( step 12) the suffering you surrendered up. (step 1)

You are not only worthy of great love , you are worthy of great use.:-)

Soooo....I mean like conversation in the store, at the park, in line waiting for tickets. It's like I have a sign over my head with an arrow that God put there and that reads,
" RAs and people with alcoholics in their life, go talk to her"

One story: So I am at a grocery store doing my job. So I ask Her about my product. She says she can't afford my product. I tell her I understand, neither can I.:-) She then tells me her and her husband got laid off, 3 kids. I tell her about a food bank. She tells me she is using 3 of them. Then she procedes to tell me how today her neighbor was screaming at her out the door because she left and didn't take her to the food bank
and she feels bad. I ask,"why do you feel bad?" She says " Well my neighbor is an alcoholic . The last time I took she wanted me to stop at the store so she could cash a check to pay a bill. But when she came out she had spent all her money on booze." .... and the story goes on about how she abuses the boyfriends who won't leave, the house is filthy and how bad AN "talks" to Her. So I told her I had an alcoholic husband and that she should not feel bad. We talked about consequence and not letting this woman abuse and manipulate her. She said," Oh my God, thank you for your time and talking to me, I feels so free." i am thinking for me, no big deal, still ahead of the clock and my experience just happens to come in handy, but wow, God is amazing and His timing is perfect. It was a big deal for Her.

It just took me more time to type this post and part of the conversation , then it took me to have it with Her.

If you think you are suppose to talk your co-worker, even to just say you are praying for her , let me know if you want. I will help get you surrendered up. ( I will pray for you and her. :-) i will pray in general for your spirit as you can't help over hearing her.

love tammy