Feeling Guilty About Finding a New Therapist

Old 08-09-2009, 11:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling Guilty About Finding a New Therapist

Happy Sunday! Just got in from a 4 mile walk and thought I would share with my friends on SR what has been bugging me lately. I'm at a point in my recovery where I feel like it is time to find a new therapist. I feel stuck and have been feeling this way about the work that I have been doing with my current therapist for the last couple of months. I finally started searching around last week for a potential new therapist. I think I might have found one that will be able to further help me as I continue on my path of recovery. I just feel really guilty about starting therapy with a new therapist and leaving my former therapist behind. While I appreciate everything that the work that I have done with my former therapist has helped me to obtain...which is a healthier life, I just don't feel like I'm getting anything out of our meetings anymore. I feel like a dork saying this out loud, but it has been bothering me. I feel like I am betraying her somehow, by not allowing her to be my therapist anymore. I'm sort of seeing my codepedancy issues in these feelings, but I have to put myself first and I really want to keep working on getting better....so if I have to leave my current therapist behind and find a new one...I will. Just wish I wasn't feeling so guilty about it
Old 08-09-2009, 12:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Being Silent so I can Hear

Why do you have to tell her anything??
Old 08-09-2009, 02:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Still Waters View Post
Why do you have to tell her anything??
I'm not saying a word to her about it. I was just having feelings of guilt. I've sort of lost perspective and was thinking of my psychologist as a sort of friend who helped me thru a hard time, instead of professional mental healthcare provider who was doing her job. Anvil is right and helped me see the light. Moving on with no guilt.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

but I have to put myself first and I really want to keep working on getting better
Bingo.... that is what Theraphy is about.... getting better. Sometimes you learn all you can from a person and its time to move on. A good therapist will want you to develope and get healthy.... with or without her.... Trust me this is not the first time this has happened for her hon....
Old 08-10-2009, 05:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

When we get to a point when we are feeling stuck that is when we want to move
on because the feeling is not right. It sounds as though she has done a lot for you because you are feeling that you are not getting anymore from her and want to move on. That is nothing to feel guilty about wanting to become more healthy! That is awesome!

I was with my counselor for close to 8 years (The last 5 using her when I needed her) Now she has changed and has a lot of her own family issues which she has brought into her work with her-when she started asking me for advice and opinions it was apparent to me that she was not giving me what I need.

We do develop a closeness to someone who is guiding us in our recovery however she is someone that you are paying and when it comes down to it you are the client as anvil stated. That is really all she is looking at.

Try not to feel guilty and keep moving forward doing what is right for you! That is as you said what comes first! YOU!
Old 08-10-2009, 04:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

UPDATE.............I have been asking my Higher Power to lead me in the right direction to the new therapist that would be right for my continued exploration of recovery for the last few weeks. Yesterday afternoon, I got a call from one of the ladies from one of the Al-Anon meetings that I attend wanting to get together for coffee last night. During our visit, I was telling her about my decision to move on to a new therapist to continue working on the areas that I feel I'm stuck in. She immediately reccomended the name of a therapist that she has worked with on the same issues that I am struggling with currently. I am making my appt this week to give it a try. I just wanted to share with you all that trusting that my HP will show me the way to a Healthy, Happy life is an amazing and enlightening journey.