What do I say when he drinks?

Old 08-05-2009, 07:45 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Heathen

I don't see the reason to say anything at all. He'll drink if he wants, no matter the excuse (reason) he feels he has..

Only thing you can do/decide (like others have said) is if this behavior is ok with YOU, and if YOU want to be in a relationship with him as he is now.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:52 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

"You're an adult and that's your choice - I really don't want to talk about it with you" might be an acceptable answer.

And in the meantime, read all you can here, especially the Stickie posts at the top of the forum, and learn about the progression of alcoholism. Decide for yourself whether you want to devote YOUR life to fixing HIS. You might also consider picking up a copy of the book "Codependent No More" by Melody Beattie, which many of us have found helpful in finding that elusive line between living our own lives and living theirs for them.

Good luck!!
Old 08-05-2009, 07:54 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I meant further along in terms of *his* recovery. Unfortunately, I'm more invested in it than he is.
And that's the problem!!!! invest in yourself because you are setting yourself up for a crash by investing in HIS recovery.

work your codependency issues and let him work his own recovery when and if he chooses that.