The sweet sound of silence.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The sweet sound of silence.

After all of the chaos, nonsense, fear, exhaustion, bruising, and back pain....I have moved and separated from my ABF. He is now the XABF. The first time I called him my EX to someone, it felt like a guilty pleasure. Is that bad? I was surprised that I didn't feel remorse or regret over it. Maybe it was more of a declaration of independence that I was emoting to.

Anyway, with the exception of 5 overly heavy items, which I wrangled some farm hands into helping with, I loaded a 14' truck by myself. Took 13 hours! Ugh. I drove the truck with my car on a trailer off the back end packed to the gills with three cats in crates and two dogs on the seat beside me 7 1/2 hours through two major rain storms and way too much traffic.

My horses survived their trip down and are at a lovely little farm getting plumper by the minute.

With some assistance from my friend I was able to get the truck unloaded. Thank goodness it's easier getting it out that in. I lost some things to water damage, but thankfully nothing irreplaceable.

After switching out modems and with a little tweaking, I've been able to get a signal out of my little hole in the ground, and I am up and working today. Hooray!

All the pets have done their exploring of our little grotto and have finally passed out. If there is one thing mommy has learned about moving with fur babies it's to be sure to put out their favorite chair, blanket, stuffed animal, or nesting spot ASAP. They all sought out their beloved napping quarters and hit the snooze button.

After what I've had to do to get to this point I am truly stunned we came out intact. I had my doubts we'd even get on the road at one point.

I have spoken to XABF, and he is back at his old job and working long hours. He talked a lot about his "problem" and even of getting real help for it and getting his life back together. He kept nudging me to say I'd get back together with him if he did. I told him that I would remain supportive of his efforts to get sober. Beyond that, I cannot say. So much would have to change for both of us and by then, we could be completely incompatible. I'm not surprised by any of it since I have read of it happening to others here.

Now that the move is over for both of us our contact is minimal to none. I think that's best.

It's just so quiet!!! I don't hear grumbling. I don't hear stomping footsteps. No phone ringing. No sounds of crunching eggshells. This is going to take some getting used to.

Thanks for the support!!

Alice
Old 08-03-2009, 11:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Just close your eyes and breathe in that peace and quiet for at least a half hour today! Ahhhhhhhhhhh.

Congratulations on the 1st days of a new beginning. Indulge!
Old 08-03-2009, 11:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Getting better every day!

I'm so glad to hear you got all moved! I was thinking about you this weekend and hoping things were going smoothly. Congratulations!
Old 08-03-2009, 11:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good for you!!! When I left my first husband I remember being so happy; like a huge weight had been lifted off me. He was into drugs (big time)... So I would take your guilty pleasure and smile...smile...smile...
Old 08-03-2009, 11:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations, especially for doing all that moving stuff by yourself...it gives me hope for my own single life! Enjoy the peace and calm. And I could identify with the 'guilty pleasure' thing...it takes a while to sink in: 'the ex'. Good luck in your new place and with your new life.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Now you can exhale. Feels good, huh. Nothing better than waking up every day, having had a restful night and knowing that life may bring you some drama but his can't touch you.

Good luck with your new life and your new place. :ghug2
Old 08-03-2009, 12:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Alice,

Thanks for checking in. I'm so glad you and the critters made the move and are doing well. After all the stress and drama of the past few weeks, I'm sure you all (critters included) sighed a collective sigh of relief.

Welcome to the rest of your life. I hope it is filled with love, peace and happiness!
Old 08-03-2009, 01:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the well wishes!!

I was cruising along okay and then exhaustion hit me like a train. I've been sleeping well enough just not getting enough of it with everything to do and no time to do it. Well, today I have a whole lot of time but not a lot of get up and go.

I set an alarm and laid out with my two dogs. All three of us were sawing logs in a second. Slept right through to the alarm. No one woke me. No one bothered me. What bliss. Now I've rested. Gotten a snack.

This just feels weird. Almost awkward in a way. Like there's something I'm forgetting to do. I have a list of things to get done. Address changes, some groceries to get, etc, but nothing urgent. What am I forgetting?? Was all that drama really that time consuming that now I've got more time on my hands than I know what to do with?

I can't wait for the soreness to pass and my energy to come back. Moving wipes me out!
Old 08-03-2009, 01:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
mergirl

I'm so happy for you!!

My turn next please=)
Old 08-03-2009, 01:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

WOW ItsmeAlice, you have gone through a lot!! I was also sending you good vibes during the weekend... I am so glad your pets and you are SAFE NOW.

Enjoy your new found liberty!!!!!
Old 08-03-2009, 01:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Was all that drama really that time consuming that now I've got more time on my hands than I know what to do with?
In a word? YES. LOL
And I'm sure part of your exhaustion is the psychic stress of having to do this new way of living. Like the rest of us, you became an expert in managing high drama. You rocked at it. Now you have to learn an entirely different day-to-day skillset of You Management, and it will take a bit out of you. It doesn't come as naturally as your old job.

Take those naps. Get lots of physical contact with your critters. Relish the quiet. And when it starts to feel like it's not enough, you will know it, and will be moved to substitute new healthy pursuits for your drama-manager job!!!

Hugs to you alice -- so glad you made it out! It's been a long time coming.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

I am so gladdddddddddddd please tell your friend there are People Out There that are really thankful she opened her doors to you. GO ALICE!!!!!
Old 08-03-2009, 03:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

alice-

i'm delighted that you got out! and my hats off to you for your fantastic effort to get packed up and arrive there. wow.

i'm with givelove, make sure you take naps and rest. you've been through a lot.

congratulations on your victory,
naive
Old 08-03-2009, 04:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Alice, congrats to you! While I'm on the other side, the recovering alcoholic here, my life has been much better sober AND WITH OUT HIM!!!! Enjoy the peace and serenity. I sure am.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Alice- you are your own woman... packing all those belongings, your dogs, and horses!
(I have horses too!) Making that haul by yourself... I take my hat off to you!

Enjoy your peace, and less stressful life! I'm enjoying the same (no egg shells here either) — it's quite wonderful!
Old 08-03-2009, 05:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks all!! The encouragement is so appreciated.

I went shopping for the first time in a decade as a single girl. Just picking out what I like to eat and not even looking at the beer and junk food aisles felt odd. So much cheaper, too. Well, not as much as it could be, I'm trying to keep up my healthier diet, too, and the healthier stuff always seems to be more expensive.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:59 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Yes I know, the organic stuff is the most expensive, what's wrong people???????? LOL

Alice today I am reflecting on the silence around me... its SO worth it. My kitten Dolce and me send you big hugs!! I take my hats off too for such a great escape!!!!!
Old 08-03-2009, 09:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Being Silent so I can Hear

Ah yes, now you can breathe It is wonderful isn't it?

I'm so glad for you Alice!
Old 08-07-2009, 10:59 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

AH!!!! Walking on an EGGSHELL free floor at last,............what sheer bliss.