Friday "us" check-in

Old 07-31-2009, 08:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Friday "us" check-in

Well, it's Friday again, and here in my part of Colorado we'll be a little on the cool side, with some light showers here and there. This weekend I play hostess to a friend from Montana whom I haven't seen in a few years, and we're both committed to doing things that are jfu (just for us).

For example, there is a little theatre not too far away that shows movies for a buck. We might catch a cheap Thai lunch and see a movie, all for under 10.00.

What things, big or small, might you do jfy (just for you) this weekend? Can you buy fresh strawberries at the farmer's market for a smoothie, or read Codependent No More on your lawn chair in a plastic kid's wading pool, or pack a sandwich and a brownie for a personal picnic in the park?

Even in the midst of turmoil, we can steal some time to make ourselves feel good. Steven Covey calls this "sharpening the saw," tending to ourselves so we can come back to our daily life strengthened.

If you have something planned, something you've been wanting to do, or something you might suggest someone else might enjoy, share it with us. Maybe it'll be the trigger to a little self-care we've been postponing!!

Happy Friday, everybody.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I think I've got a little too much work lined up for the weekend. Gotta get the pool cleaned up and trim the grass.

But......

I've been wanting to get my motorcycle equipped for touring/camping/weekend escapes so I'm going to order the stuff to do that, in spite of a temporarily bleak financial outlook
Old 07-31-2009, 09:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good thread.

Astro, a pool? I'm jealous.

I plan to hike tomorrow, take a long bath, give myself a facial and eat a pastry!
Old 07-31-2009, 09:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I will celebrate finishing a big project (hopefully today!) and possibly go canoeing tomorrow.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

I will buy wine, grapes, cheese, tidbits and cook for my bf. We will watch 7 years in Tibet and Meet Joe Black, two of my favorite movies. Cuddle kitty. Hug bf and hug him more because he has helped me heal and arrived in my life at the very best moment. Clean the apartment listening to jazz music

Also, the wine thing has a catch. I will use the bottle later to place a bamboo and decorate my cubicle I love the way they look. And wine reminds me of people I love, like when I celebrated my bday with my dad, or now with bf. I can enjoy my wine with people that enjoy it the same way I do.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
1 Corinthians 13:1-13 love

I don't have any plans, just ideas. So i will let you know after i do it.

Astro, i will pray God supplies the funds.:-)

Kimmieh, I was thinking about canoeing the other day. I haven't gone since i was a kid and i love it. So yours sounds awesome to me.:-)

I hope everyone here enjoys 'life' this weekend and givelove.:-)

John 10:10
The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think I'm going to paint my kitchen......might not sound like a good time to some of y'all, but after 22 years of being told I couldn't do anything around the house because I would screw it up and it wouldn't be "perfect" like XAH wanted, I will enjoy every last stroke of my beautiful new "sauteed mushroom" walls. And it will be gorgeous next to my "brick dust" dining room.

I love all of the new colors my world is becoming....no more neutral beiges for me!!
Old 07-31-2009, 04:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I would love to go canoeing! I have a big project I need to finish tonight (will probably end up finishing first thing in the morning.) I was going to celebrate by laying out by the pool tomorrow with friends but there's a fifty percent chance of rain! Our backup plan is game and movie time. I need to go to the library too.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oh! I forgot it's tax-free weekend in my state so I will probably go shopping also!
Old 07-31-2009, 05:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am excited to go hear a friend play in a stringed trio tomorrow evening and look out over the ocean. Also, I plan on going to Alanon meeting in the morning. That will start my weekend out focusing on doing something good for myself.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Awakening

It's birthday season around here. Mine was last weekend, and LMC's is Monday, she'll be EIGHT. So to celebrate in her honor, I've decided to take a vacation day off....got a 3 day weekend staring me right in the lips. Whoo hoo!

We're just chillin' tonight, but tomorrow we'll get the cruiser inspected so we'll finally be LEGAL, then to our Alanon meeting. After the meeting our friend that has "adopted" us will take LMC for a fun filled "girls night". She's house sitting for some friends, and they have 2 dogs and four cats!!!! LMC will be in hog heaven.

I will tinker around with the cruiser, work out, take a hot bath, maybe a movie (grown up variety), go with my buddy and ABSOLUTELY pig out on the BEST MOST WONDERFUL Chinese buffet in town till I'm just miserable. Then get a long deserved good nights sleep, since my last weekend's sleep was disrupted by my BRAIN.

Sunday, church, then a kid movie...Ice Age Dawn of the Dinosaurs. Those Ice Age movies crack me up, it'll be a swell laugh fest, then on to the pool for some cool soaking.

Monday, birthday day, we'll drive into Austin for lunch and games at Gattiland then on to guitar shopping. LMC and I will both get one, a little size one for her. Then we will proceed to teach ourselves with books/cd's, look out Miley Cyrus. I'd be willing to bet she far surpasses me in ability in no time!

We're also going by where I work so she can meet all "the guys". There's much more, but these are the high spots!

Have fun everybody! Thanks GL!

Thanks and God bless us all,
Coyote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Awakening

Originally Posted by GiveLove View Post
Well, it's Friday again, and here in my part of Colorado we'll be a little on the cool side, with some light showers here and there. This weekend I play hostess to a friend from Montana whom I haven't seen in a few years, and we're both committed to doing things that are jfu (just for us).
GL you wouldn't know this, but one of the things..... kind of on my bucket list, is going to take place around this time next year. Meant to do it this year, but the cards didn't play out properly. Needed a bigger dependable car.

I've been wanting to drive to Colorado with my buddy and LMC for 4 or so days of tent camping. It's hot as hades here this time of year, I figure it'll be just perfect in your beautiful state. We may just get to see you, Colorado can't be that big! Tent camping is one of those things that if dads don't do it....automatic daddy hell.

Coyote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
mergirl

I am in beautiful santa barbara again this weekend. Last night I camped by myself for the first time ever, it was amazing! Plus, I feel like a big girl having set up camp, fire and all=)

Tonight my buddy is making me fish tacos with a halibut he caught yesterday. I have a pot of beans on the stove and am playing on his comp while he finishes work. Tomorrow I will go play in the surf some more. My friends will either come with me or won't, but there is no haggling or guilt.

Here I am surrounded by friends. I eat too many sweets and don't get to the gym enough, but I laugh and smile a lot.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

I woke up early this a.m. and took my son to the driver's services department for his road test. He passed! Got his license. Then he drove us home and I showered and went to work.

It's tax free weekend here, too. I work retail so I worked today and again Saturday. I will be off Sunday and if the weather permits, I might enjoy the pool and one of my books. Then the kids and I may explore our community, with my new driver.

The kids and I went out for steaks tonight to celebrate the new driver in the family. The food was good, and the company was excellent. A young man raising funds for a mission trip made my teenagers balloon creations! He made my daughter a monkey with banana, and my son a chopper motorcycle. Very entertaining!

A small child was in awe of my son's motorcycle as we left the restaurant, and my son gave the child the motorcycle. He's a good kid!

This is a nice thread you started GiveLove, Thanks!
Old 07-31-2009, 08:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gypsy Feet View Post
I am in beautiful santa barbara again this weekend. Last night I camped by myself for the first time ever, it was amazing! Plus, I feel like a big girl having set up camp, fire and all=)
Love Santa Barbara.....and camping too! Sounds like a great time GF....have a blast! The weather's been great lately in this part of Ca.

Let's see.....breakfast tomorrow morning with a friend, possibly a girl's night out tomorrow night, and coffee with an alanon friend on Sunday, a hike to the beach on Sunday (I hope)....not to mention lounging around in my pjs with coffee the rest of the time - really trying to make the most of my last days of vacation! :-D

Thanks Givelove ~ makes my day to 'see' others enjoying life and makes me want to do more!
Old 07-31-2009, 08:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It's all about BASEBALL here ! My BF's son is the catcher for his high school team, and they've been in the playoffs. They won their game today against a really great team so we'll go to the final game tomorrow night. The winner will be the state champion. We did a tailgate breakfast at the ballpark with the other parents and cheered for our boys. It's fun since for a few days other problems in life are put on hold... life sort of stands still and it's just all about the boys having fun playing baseball. They're so excited to be in the championship game.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm taking myself out to lunch, with a good book. It's a very special restaurant, part of a chain out here in the West. When I lived in L.A. it's where we always took friends out, too cusktomers for meetings, or employees to celebrate whatever was apropriate. After my ex wigged out on pills and married men I found that place far to painful to even drive by. There were so many good memories attached there, and now it was all pain.

I learned in al-anon that I can build _new_ memories to replace the old ones. And so little by little I started driving by the place, then went in for longer and longer. A few years have gone by and I have taken all kinds of new friends there. It is now _my_ special place where I can look back at all the wonderful times in my life.

Going there reminds me of another important lesson. I can't have a _new_ thing that is good in my life unless I let go of some old thing. I never would have met all the wonderful people here in Vegas if I had never left L.A. There really is no such thing as an ending, it just looks that way if I have the wrong attitude. Everything is a beginning if I am willing to make it so.

I am also going to do a litte excercise. Been a little ill the last couple weeks and I'm not allowed any of that when my blood pressure isn't perfect. But I'm much better today so tomorow I'll be getting back on my PT program. A little yoga too. And work on some of my pictures that I'm printing and getting framed (I'm a photographer by trade).

Oh yeah, wonderful pics that I never would have made if I hadn't moved out here and been closer to the wild places in the desert.

And one last thing, I'm going to _sleep in_ !!!!!!!

Mike
Old 07-31-2009, 10:34 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Coyote, I own 36 acres in fairplay/hartsel colorado, in the subdivision of Thousand Peaks Ranch. You are welcome to camp there if you would like. :-) So his was something i enjoyed doing his weekend. Being able to offer to share.

I ate whatever I wanted tonight, i watched a movie and I went for a power walk.My daughter and son-in-law came over tonight, it was nice to have all 4 kids home at the same time. STBXAH was drunk ( he only made it a few days through his 'try' to quit last week) but was well behaved and was just watching the movie.

Also, i actually enjoyed getting on SR just for enjoyment tonight. I haven't even got to the message I got on to return, and i think i will just now get back to it later.:-) I got side tracked in responding to CatPajamas and decided i wanted to read this thread for enjoyment ! :-)

Tommorow i decided i am gonna go downtown to the lakefront and walk it for miles and sit on the beach. It is suppose to storm at some points tomorrow so I will work in our stop at the outside italian ice stand and the store I want to go to . I doubt all 3 boys will want to go but at least one will.

I also have a thread I want to write as one of Givelove's threads made me think about it being an experience worth sharing in my discovery process.

I also have a gift box I want to finish preparing and have ready to send out on Monday.

And i am gonna want to read this thread to how everyone is enjoying their weekend.

thanks for sharing your life with me,
tammy
Old 08-01-2009, 08:32 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Awakening

Aww, thank you Mehandle. I just mapquested it, think we'll take the Carlsbad route. Goes through Area 54 as well. More cool stuff to look at. We may just take you up on your kind offer!

Coyote
Old 08-01-2009, 12:40 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Okay, it is dizzling and raining off and on all day so far. So reading , writing and doing a gift box, and drinking coffee with one of my sons.:-) Slept in.... :-) Read SR. Playing the rest of the day by ear.

Coyote, not generous at all, its just available . I just want others to be blessed camping there and have a great experience. I view it as generous that you would take me up on it and trust me, thats if you like to camp, that this is a great central place to experience Colorado Mountains.

love tammy