Off topic: anyone around here has a cat?

Old 10-16-2009, 03:50 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

I had and girl and my sister had her brother, then another girl and another one and another one. Her cats kept getting killed in strange ways (neighborhood dogs, cars). Anyway, my female cat was indifferent to other cats. She prefered people.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:34 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

i agree. I have a female and she is VERY territorial... she hates everyone but me.. I've had cats all my life.. i prefer a big fat, older, neutered male.. they are soooooooooooo laid back, u can drop a cupcake on there head and they dont budge.. or use there tummies like a pillow.. I would LOVE to get a male cat but my female would kill anything i tried to bring in the house...
your might be young enough it'd be okay..
Old 10-16-2009, 09:24 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

I currently have 3 cats... which is the fewest number in many years. I was well on my way to becoming a cat lady when I found out I was pregnant.

Anyway: I have combined cats and had them become best buds overnight (one time a grown male and a female kitten. This outgoing, battle scarred yellow tomcat became mommy to a little, shy grey kitten. It was amazing), and I've combined them and watched them either dislike or ignore each other. It's the luck of the draw. Overall, I'd say a male and a female are the best combination, and it helps if neither of them is particularly territorial.

A scratch under the chin for everyone!
Old 10-16-2009, 09:36 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

I have 4 females. The oldest Chloe is 13, Lois is 5, and my new girls Mary and Susie are 11 months old. I have always had girls as an adult and never had any major problems. I was nervous when I got Mary and Susie the beginning of the year when they were 2 months old with Chloe the old lady, but they just worked their own problems out and Chloe let them know she was the boss without hurting them. Good luck.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:14 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

my current situation doesn't accommodate my having another cat right now.

(I'm a dyed in the wool Manx junkie)

it's been two years next month since my 'Beloved' died.

But another cat just isn't in the design for me right now...

so I have three 'step-cats'.

Two live in the nieghborhood where my apt. is.
One's a manx ( no kidding-I attract 'em)
the other is just a down on his luck alley cat.
Neither is interested in eating,
they don't come for the food -
they come for the company
and I play a mean game of 'string'.

They come in, visit for a while, then mosey on their way.
It's enough for now.

A few weeks ago
my friend
(the guy whose computer I use)
asked me to come over
that he had something to talk to me about.
So I'm like, 'sure bla bla bla"
so I get over there,
(he has emphysema and heart failure and is really a mess)

and he builds up to
he asked me if I'd take his cat
when his time came.
His cat LOVES me.
He sulks if I don't seek him out and say hello
as soon as I come over.
He walks on the keyboard when it's time to take a break ...

it was quite a moment.
This was a very big deal to him.

I committed to the care of his cat.
It was odd...
because it wasn't the tone of 'if something happens to me'
it was
"when this happens".

so just from my own life experience here....

I think a rented apt with someone else's furnture
is not the time or the place to
have your first cat.
Maybe now is the time
to get yourself
educated about owning a cat
maybe spending time at a shelter ...
volunteering there, learning about them ...
going to friends' houses who are owned by cats ...
and take the time to orient yourself in cat-land.

just my input on the topic.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:16 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

I've never been a 'cat person', always a 'dog person'. I've had 3 dogs in my life, all lived to over 15 years (I'm not that old, I had one when I moved out of my parents home while they still had one!)

A few months ago one of my misguided colleagues helped a 70 year old lady with learning disabilities get a kitten. she was lovely, eight weeks old, full of fun and mishcief, and immediately shut in the kitchen for the whole day because she was just too much for this lady to cope with.

We had a chat, me, the lady and her social worker and she decided to let the cat go, but only to someone she trusted to look after her. Turns out she only trusted me enough!

Anyway, the kitty came home with me, she has a whole new personality now, she's the most chilled cat in England! the boys love her, and so do I.

However, I've had a rotten cold for two weeks and never thought anything of it, until I was clearing a cupboard out this morning and found my hayfever medication. It made me think, the cat's been here two weeks, I've had a cold for two weeks, hmmm.....
I took one of my tablets earlier and now I feel fine. I guess a trip to the doctors for more supplies is on the cards because I'm not getting rid of the cat, no way!
Old 10-19-2009, 09:14 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Hey Lucy I also think the cat is making my rhinitis or however you spell it, worse, but I dont care to die earlier due to lack of oxygen if my life was next to the cat. LoL

I will see some kitties on tuesday!!!!!!!!! I got to be honest... I cheated all of you... and now joined a Cats Forum.... its strange because I'm there kind of thinking "where is MissFixIt" lol

I am so grateful to my cat because she is really helping with my depression, I find myself laughing again and excited about taking care and reading about the behaviors... and I am telling her we are getting her a little brother... to complete my new family of 4.

The good thing is that this noisy apartment has 3 bedrooms so each one can have its own !!!!!!!! and its very spacey so hopefully everything will flow

HUGS!!!!!!!
Old 10-19-2009, 09:16 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

barb the apartment I am in has no furniture, only my bed, and the cat has Soft Paws so it doesn't scratch anything!

one question...when I bring the new addition to the family.... do I need to buy another cage for it? dolce loves her cage and if she smells another cat used it I think she will never forgive me. well i just answered my own question lol.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:41 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Hi TC!

Marvin and I picked out a Halloween costume today. Yes, I have turned into one of those people who dress their dogs up (something I used to think was silly). He is adorable and we are entering a costume contest at a pet store.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:25 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

are you dressing up yourself, miss?

i wanted to put some wings to Dolce but im having issues thinking about how to go about it. i havent seen costumes for cats over here but i will look!

yup, im also part of "those" now. oh well.

((miss))

good luck on the contest!!!!!!!!
Old 10-19-2009, 05:37 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

no plans for me to dress up. Marvin is a shark!
Old 10-19-2009, 09:30 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

declaw = amputation

Hello, I didn't read the post thoroughly to know if anyone responded along the same lines below regarding declawing a cat. but...

Please don't do it. My gf's mother got a male cat named Frankie who was Mr. Personality. When we visited he walked right into the room to say hello and wanted attention. She had him declawed and his personality changed dramatically. He became elusive rather than outgoing. It was a big mistake. I realize cats have different personalities like people but to declaw is to mutilate/amputate... so please think about what you are doing to the poor animal.

Peace...

Declawing Cats and Humane Alternatives (from about dot com - I can't post links yet)

A cat's claws are vital to his physiology, providing protection, balance, and mobility. Cats who find themselves outdoors without claws are virtually defenseless. Cat scratch for three primary reasons:

1. Exercise: A cat will select a surface where he can hook his claws, then pull against the resistance. This is a form of isotonic exercise which both strengthens the muscles and provides suppleness to muscles and joints.
2. Marking Territory: Scent glands located on the cats' feet effectively mark the area as "his." You'll notice this behavior frequently with indoor-outdoor cats who will mark trees by scratching.
3. "Anger Management": Although there is no scientific evidence for this, in over 45years of observing cats, I've noticed a marked increase in scratching behavior when a cat is annoyed or upset.

What, Exactly, is Declawing?

To understand exactly what happens during the surgical procedure, let's examine what declawing actually entails. Declawing is not merely the trimming of the claws. It is the surgical removal of the claws, which are closely adhered to the bone. In order to remove the claw and prevent its regrowth (which sometimes results from incomplete removal), the entire first joint of each of the cat's "toes" is amputated. This procedure is often likened to amputation of all a human's fingers to the first knuckle. You can imagine the subsequent pain. The comparison ends there, however. Cats walk on their "fingers and toes"--we do not (but imagine the pain if you had to, after amputation). Cats depend primarily on their claws for defense-- we do not (but imagine your helplessness if you did, after amputation).
Old 10-19-2009, 09:44 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Hi yor!! thanks for your post.

I didn't know about what declawing meant but when I got my first cat I realized it is painful and inhumane. That is why I learned about Soft paws!! some īplastic covers for the claws. the cat does not even notice them and the furniture (and myself) is protected. So its a win win scenario (it seems they pay me for publicity lol)

I will try to create some wings for the cat as I will dress like Athenea the goddess (a slightly overweight goddess LOL) .

And no, repairing my camera was too expensive!!!!!!!!!! but one day.. one day I will be able to fix it or buy a new one... damn.

Hugs!
Old 10-19-2009, 09:45 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Im sooooooooooooooooooo excited about seeing the kittens tomorrow night!!
Old 10-19-2009, 10:07 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

((TC)) The first cat I got I THOUGHT was a female (lets just say his male parts were tucked up inside). I got another kitty, who WAS a female and they didn't get along, at first, would fight but it was more of a play fight...they would hug each other with their front paws and kick with their back paws but never had the claws out. When I realized they just might be male and female, I had them "fixed". They never were the best of buddies, but they got along, kept each other company for many years and I never had a problem with either.

Now, I have 3 indoor/outdoor cats (not my choice that they go outside, but I'm having to live at home until I get back on my feet and can take them all with me). The female is fixed and fat...the boys are not. They don't really fight...are just a bit territorial, hiss at each other or swat every now and then, but they also look for each other if one is missing. As soon as I get my own place, I will have the boys fixed and everyone will be an indoor only cat.

I think I WILL be the old cat lady in a few years

Good luck on your new kitten. My 3 all have totally different personalities, but I can't imagine life without any of my furbabies. Oh, and we have a chihuahua, too, who is totally intimidated by the cats, but the female is younger, so she plays with the dog. We just have a mini-zoo-crew.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 10-19-2009, 10:19 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Thanks Amy!! the lady seemed sure about the gender. I am not sure I could identify a male from a female if they are so young!

I have read a lot and it seems the general idea is that male-female is a little bit better! I am knowin Dolce and she is still very playful and loving. Hopefully she will like to run around and chase and be chased by someone her size!
Old 10-20-2009, 04:33 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

I need to neuter Dolce the cat.....

There is this Dr Pet high end place that asks for 120 USD s and they keep the cat for one night.

There are in between places that ask for about 40 USD.

And there is a public place where they neuter them for 5 USD.

Bf says we can go to the cheapest place but I am worried. What if they use cheaper anesthetics, etc? Wouldn't you want the best for your cat? I made an appointment for the Dr Pet place but now I am not sure if that would be unnecesarily expensive.

Please tell me I am not crazy for wanting the very best treatment for my Dolce!!

PS Just 2 hours to meet future Gabanna!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-20-2009, 04:42 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

I read that you don't want to go to the cheapest spay/neuter place. I think of it like if I were to have surgery, would I want the cheapest guy around?
Old 10-29-2009, 03:29 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Well, when I called a shelter they recommended a vet. She will go grab Dolce this weekend. The price was reasonable and I got good references !! I was about to take her to the most expensive one but I read reviews about the place and it was a no-no... thank god for the internet...

And I already chose another kitty, I will grab her today !! I got everything ready for her !! I hope the cats get along. I will follow protocol. The lady at the shelter said if they dislike each other too much I can trade her for another cat...

I am sooo happy I will also be visiting taking pictures, etc. and perhaps help them build a web page .... I am excited I may help the pets find a place.

Dolce and Gabanna !!
Old 10-29-2009, 04:09 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

I want to see pictures of your new kitty!!