Lost in Translation?

Old 07-24-2009, 03:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lost in Translation?

I'm filling out a job application and I am at the part where it is asking me to list my strengths/talents in such a way that would show I should be hired.

Now, I can come up with a thousand character defects that could show how maybe they should go with someone else, but I seem to remember a few discussions here on SR on how character defects are potential talents misused. For example - "The ability to put with endless amounts of ******** from an arrogant, presumptive ex-husband" could be translated as "Able to handle stressful situations well" and "Can deal easily with those of different academic abilities and talents".

See what I mean?

Can anyone here give me some defects translated into strengths or direct me to a discussion about them? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

LOL!! Love it... great spin on that for sure!!
Old 07-24-2009, 07:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi DirtMagnet,

If you were to list a handful of your so-called defects here, I think we could easily re-write them for you. What's on your list?

GL
Old 07-24-2009, 09:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am filling out a job app for work with the school district, so I need an "educational" spin:

Very self-critical (detail oriented? Attention to detail?)
Worked lots of different jobs (Well-rounded? Wide experience?)
LIke working in groups, just not as the leader (team player?)
Overcommitment to things (dedicated?)
Repress anger (able to maintain calm?)
Sometimes procrastinate (thinks things through? Plans things? Careful thinker?)
Anyother F & F of A common characteristics you can think of......

I am specifically looking for stuff a school would find attractive. Please understand, I am not trying to misrepresent myself to a potential employer here, but rather trying to take life's lemons and turn them into lemonade.

I really need to become less financially dependent on child support as my ex is drinking again and his life (and therefore finances) are going into the crapper. I don't want to go down there with him.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well, let's see. I'll start (teachers and others in education fields, feel free to jump in if you see this )

Very self-critical = Self-starter and proactive, solving problems before they become problems

Worked lots of different jobs = Broad experience in a number of disciplines

Like working in groups, just not as the leader = Tactician, comfortable in supporting roles, able to translate group agreements into a solid day-to-day plan

Overcommitment to things = Dedication to ideals and the passion/energy to make them come to fruition

Repress anger = Able to maintain calm even in stressful circumstances

Sometimes procrastinate = Thoughtful, methodical planner

DirtMagnet, I think this is more than just a job app exercise. I mean, think about it: aren't these things really true...or couldn't they be if you just repackaged them a little? Seems like it to me. Example: Sometimes, repressing anger until we can process and release it in a healthy way is NOT a fault, but a strength that helps us to keep from burning bridges (before it's time to)

I'll give you one of mine too:
Extreme stubbornness and unwillingness to follow orders = Strong entrepreneurial spirit
(and it works, too)

We don't have to be so hard on ourselves.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I also think this is God's way of telling me it might just be time to look at taking a 4th Step inventory.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Here is what I have so far (spelling uncorrected). Tell me what 'ya think -

As both a tutor and an employee in the private sector, I have been priveledged to work with a wide variety of people in a variety of settings. No matter what job I had, the same principles applied. One of my personal principles is to be proactive and think ahead. I prefer to concentrate my efforts on finding solutions and not on placing blame. I give that extra effort whether it is for a student or a fellow employee. I think things through, do required research, make a plan and bring the plan into action. I enjoy doing this both on solo projects and as a member of a group. I also work with a sense of integrity, looking towards the larger goals and asking myself how my talents can best contribute towards its completion.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That's terrific! My favorite part is here:
I enjoy doing this both on solo projects and as a member of a group.
Mind if I steal this from you? It's a wonderful way for me to say, "I don't want to be anybody's boss"

Praying that you stumble over a job that makes it so you can quit your night job, quit depending on your unreliable ex, and quit worrying yourself sick It does happen, you know...honest it does.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Now on to the next series of questions:

Describe the skills or attributes you believe are necessary to be outstanding when working in student support services.

How would you address a wide range of issues in your groups?

If ya got ideas, PM me so I don't hijack all of SRs space