Is there vodka in that water

Old 07-19-2009, 12:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is there vodka in that water

Is there a way to test for vodka in water - I think I smell it - I realize this is unhealthy of me, but I must know. I don't know if my mind is tricking me, and I know if I ask, I will just be told a lie if it is, in fact, the case.

I know it is healthier to simply detach, but we have been separated, and if it is, then I have some certainty.

Yes, I tasted it - it wasn't as strong as I would have suspected (the vodka in water I found around the second rehab), but I can't tell. I really can't tell. Sadly, I don't trust my senses.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

well, you could drink a big glass of it and see what the effects are...

or, you could buy a breathalizer kit, then drink it and blow into it..

or, you could do some experiments...like pour a glass of cold water in a glass and then pour a second glass, half water and half vodka and do a visual inspection. i think that there might be a crystally, more shimmery look to the vodka water glass.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello there tiredspouse, and welcome to SoberRecovery

We have a lot of information you can browse up in the "sticky" posts at the top of the forum. Spend a little time just reading thru all the posts around here, there's a lot of wisdom from people who are fighting the same battles you are. The details of our lives are different, but the emotions we go thru, and the insanity of alcoholism is the same.

As far as your question, what difference does it make? If he truly wants to get drunk he will. Water or not. He will find a way when you are not present and make up some excuse. If he truly wants to quit, then he will also find a way.

You mentioned that you know it is unhealthy for you. I know when I was snooping around my ex-wife trying to figure which drugs she'd taken _this_ time, and how much, and when, and who with, I was doing something terribly unhealthy for me. I was making _me_ crazy, without any help from her.

Why don't you tell us a little more about you and what has been happening with your relationship so we call all get a better idea. That way we can share our own personal experience as it relates to yours.

Welcome again.

Mike
Old 07-19-2009, 02:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Hon..... You know what caught my eye....

I know it is healthier to simply detach, but we have been separated, and if it is, then I have some certainty.
Not that I dont totally understand what your feeling.... but that is the part I would focus on if it were me. If your separated and you know that this is unhealthy behavior... then you might already have certainty....

When I was at the end of my relationship I looked to anything to justify the ending of it.... I would search out his hiding spots, drill his friends, smell his breath when he got home.... jeezzzz now that I think about it ... what crazy behavior. What I needed to focus on is why I would stay in a relationship with a man I did not trust to tell me the truth, I had to come to the realization that his drinking was none of my business, if I did not want to be in an alcoholic relationship.... I did not have to be, but I did not have the right to "tell" him he had to change, I had to change and that was so much harder and more work.

I do know how crazy that will drive a person.... *hugs* to you and I hope you find some senerity in it.