The Secret.....

Old 07-18-2009, 12:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awakening

The Secret.....

Has any body read this, I'm listening to it on audio book now (My first audio book...I am sooooo lazy). I was just sitting out in the parking lot listening before I came up and got on here.

They were talking about the thoughts/feelings of "love" being the most powerful vibes in the universe and the power of that attraction. As I walked into my courtyard I saw this big old boxer mix that lives next door was standing on the balcony in front of my door. She always barks/growls at me when I walk up. I decided to do "something different"....what a concept!

As I approached her I began to talk "lovingly" to her, about what a good girl she is (she'd already began to quietly growl) and how she was a great guard dog for protecting her mom so well, etc.

Do you know that damned dog met me at the top of the steps , ears back, nubby tail wagging and kissed my hand/let me pet her head! :wtf2

Any way I'd love to hear some feed back from those of you who have read/heard it.

Thanks and God bless us all,
Coyote

P.S. Perhaps I should read my own sig line once in a while....doh!
Old 07-18-2009, 01:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I read this book and enjoyed it very much. If you see positive and aim high things will be better as oppose to someone who always sees bad in things. I enjoyed it!!
Old 07-18-2009, 02:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've heard of the book for years, but never was inclined to read it. I think the time has come, thanks for bringing this up! I was wondering what to read during my upcoming vacation, now I know!

And I think your siggy is "spot" on: "Wag more, bark less"...
Old 07-18-2009, 02:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Love the book and the DVD, for Me it totally works.
I completely believe in it.

Old 07-18-2009, 02:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I grew my wings to fly...

The DVD is great, you should get it. It works!.
Old 07-18-2009, 03:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's permanently on my iPod A lot of good concepts in there, no matter whether you believe every single thing that's said or not. Sometimes, like you, I'm amazed at what a difference it can make.
Old 07-18-2009, 03:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just today I was standing outside on the porch with some people and a dog appeared out of nowhere and started barking (he was probably a runaway). People made fun of him (he was really little and really wet) or were annoyed. I said "he seems scared" and told him that everything will be fine. He barked at everyone but me and I am sure it's because he got the positive vibe.

As a sidenote, I really miss having a dog...
Old 07-18-2009, 04:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Awakening

Originally Posted by Kimmieh View Post
I said "he seems scared" and told him that everything will be fine. He barked at everyone but me and I am sure it's because he got the positive vibe.

As a sidenote, I really miss having a dog...
Hum...seems to me the universe was trying to hand you a perfectly good dog!

I've heard it many times and even experienced it myself, NO dog will love you like a stray that picks you to be it's keeper.

Coyote
Old 07-18-2009, 04:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by coyote21 View Post
Hum...seems to me the universe was trying to hand you a perfectly good dog!
He wore a tag with a phone number and we called and left a message. I would have taken him home otherwise! He was darling!
Old 07-19-2009, 07:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Getting better every day!

I have not read The Secret, but am familiar with the concept. There's a movie staring Marlee Matlin that goes into the same philosophy. It's called "What the BLEEP do we know?!" Sometimes it's typed out "WHAT THE #$*! DO WE KNOW?!" It ties the same philosophy of The Secret (the law of attraction) to quantum physics, but in essence it's the same idea.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
IPT

Originally Posted by jaguarpcb View Post
I have not read The Secret, but am familiar with the concept. There's a movie staring Marlee Matlin that goes into the same philosophy. It's called "What the BLEEP do we know?!" Sometimes it's typed out "WHAT THE #$*! DO WE KNOW?!" It ties the same philosophy of The Secret (the law of attraction) to quantum physics, but in essence it's the same idea.

I saw them both and I preferred this one. just my line of thinking. The Secret was more mainstreamed and What The Bleep a little more in depth and scientific. Both real good though.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes. I have the book and have read it. It was recommended to me by a counselor. He gave me first hand accounts of those he has known that have lived by this, and shared their successes. Pretty amazing.

Calling upon the "universe" or "HP" - no matter what you call it - the power of positive thinking is truly a gift!

There is a website on "The Secret" - just google it and you'll find it. Much information.

We need all the positive energy we can muster!
Old 07-21-2009, 09:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Being Silent so I can Hear

The Secret

ETA: Why oh why do people make dark web pages like that? Reading even a small bit there makes my eyeballs burn.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Me too. I also preferred What the Bleep.

The Secret bothered me.

I found it to be too pat. "Oh, we're gonna reveal this life changing SECRET"...and the secret is, think positively. Well, I'm simplifying it. Also, I found that the things people were saying they got, from putting out all these vibes, were very materialistic...a kid wanting a bike...a couple wanting a nicer house...

I don't believe that you can just "put out" positive vibes ot get what you want. Positive EFFORT, on the other hand, can reap a ton of good things.

Treating people well...applying spiritual principles like treating people as you would want to be treated...the AA concept of service...these can all reap many positive rewards.

Of course, seeing something in a positive light never hurt anyone-it helps your peace of mind. Read Victor Frankl's books...he was in a concentration camp in WWII and noticed that the prisoners who stayed positive, despite their horrific circumstances, were the ones who had a higher survival rate.

Also, CBT, which encourages changing your thinking in positive directions, is the best treatment for depression

Originally Posted by IPT View Post
I saw them both and I preferred this one. just my line of thinking. The Secret was more mainstreamed and What The Bleep a little more in depth and scientific. Both real good though.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Awakening

So I've been listening to this audio book 2 hrs a day during my commute for less than 2 weeks. My little 200k truck, which I was VERY grateful to have for 2 problem free years had developed a mysterious problem. I began to ask the universe for a new (to me) ride. I used all the suggestions in the book.

Friday my adopted Alanon friend came over to drop off an ice chest for me to fill for her husbands birthday on Sat. We were sitting on my tailgate shooting the poo, and I mentioned that the truck seemed to be on it's last leg.

A few minutes later I drove about a mile to a taco place for dinner. I was listening to "The Secret" when I started the truck to back out to go home. It threw a rod, it was toast. Game over. It did however get me home, gotta love that.

So any way, after a fitfully sleepless nite....I HAVE to have transportation, I started looking at Craigs list. Must have looked at 100 cars till I found the one I was being guided to. A 2000 retired Crown Victoria police interceptor, oil and tranny cooler, serviced every 3000 miles, new tires and driven by a supervisor to and from the office. Never on patrol, 46k miles. Practically new, 1500 below book value, and FAST ( I am still a boy, I love torque). Same hiway mileage as the little truck 25 mpg and SAFE, and looks like a cop car so no more tailgaters. YEA for me.

Got a low car note, for 18 months at a credit union where they also do home loans. A good place to rebuild my credit. Got to the CU at 3pm sat eve, they close at 4.

We were there till after 5 cause, and this is the best part, the seller was a federal agent for the Chocktaw Nation. Half Choctaw Indian, with some VERY powerful mojo. The deal kept going back and forth cause the loan lady (in another city) had never dealt with an agent for another government agency before. Plus he had a NOT very conventional last name.

Powerful medicine going on in that room, he was not to be denied this deal, neither was I. I just smiled the whole time. Today, I got to drive to work with all the 18 wheelers and crazy pick up drivers and feel safe. It's been a very good several days.

Oh, and LMC got home Sat morning and LOVES our new police interceptor, Thank you Universe/HP. You have always taken very good care of me, even before I "BELIEVED".

Coyote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I liked the book because it had good moral advice, good rules to live by.

I believe it is true... positive thinking has power! IF you have a good outlook, you send out good vibes, positive vibes. I knew this before I read the "secret".

Did I mention I got a job? The best paying job I've ever had... in this recession! Is there a connection? I don't know, but what I do know is that positive attitude I went into the interview with helped. They told me so.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Awakening

Originally Posted by Trying2survive View Post
Did I mention I got a job? The best paying job I've ever had... in this recession! Is there a connection? I don't know, but what I do know is that positive attitude I went into the interview with helped. They told me so.
I would have to say YES.

Coyote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:38 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Well, it will be put to the test again very soon. This week I will receive the decision from the judge on my marital property division. The answer I get will determine whether I'll be forced to sell my farm or keep it. The judge has had the case for nearly 90 days. I live in a no-fault state...which means typically 50/50.

My atty says she has no idea how the judge will rule. I say he WILL rule in my favor, and that it will be a 75/25 split. I am thinking 100% positive that I will be able to keep my home.

It never hurts to be positive!
Old 07-30-2009, 05:02 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Awakening

I work with a real good guy, he's 27 or 28 and works hard, has 2 kids and his wife is able to stay home with the little one. She's very frugal and a real bargain hunter and they manage to take several cool vacations a year etc. Any way he's always admired me for being "the most up beat guy he's ever met", especially during my "trudging through hell" years when I started there.

Any way I let him borrow "The Secret" and he made himself a copy and was very enthuiastic about it. We were talking about getting unexpected checks in the mail yesterday after work. It happens to me all the time.

He called me around lunch time today. He'd just gotten off the phone with his wife. He'd been telling her all about the book and my "new" car and all. She'd called him to let him know that she was"one with the universe". He asked what she meant, she'd just gotten a check in the mail from way back when she worked before the kids were born, 10 or 11 years ago. The explanation was that her pay had been mistakenly docked. The check was for $4000. If I'm lying I'm dying. I believe she's "on board".

On a much smaller scale, my interceptor has a misfire on cyl 2. It's a common problem and not expensive to fix. I've been replacing several parts, starting with the cheapest. Was driving my work truck today pondering the "check engine" light, and the thought suddenly occurred to me, "why am I trying to figure this out", I decided the universe should be given this problem. I simply said, damn this problem, you fix it.

Got in the car to go home, the "check engine" light was out.

Coyote
Old 07-30-2009, 05:11 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

The check was for $4000.
I cannot repeat the string of delighted swear words I spit out when I read this, coyote. It did begin with "holy" so I hope I can be forgiven.

How great.

Now if I can just get it to work on finding us a house...