Food for thought for my codie self

Old 07-17-2009, 10:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awakening

Food for thought for my codie self

The following was sent to my email from the Daily OM. I thought you all might get something from it, I did.

July 16, 2009
Observing Evolution
Allowing Others To Walk Their Paths

Watching a loved one or a peer traverse a path littered with stumbling blocks can be immensely painful. We instinctively want to guide them toward a safer track and share with them the wisdom we have acquired through experience. Yet all human beings have the right to carve their own paths without being unduly influenced by outside interference. To deny them that right is to deny them enlightenment, as true insight cannot be conveyed in lectures. Rather, each individual must earn independence and illumination by making decisions and reflecting upon the consequences of each choice. In allowing others to walk their paths freely, you honor their right to express their humanity in whatever way they see fit. Though you may not agree with or identify with their choices, understand that each person must learn in their own way and at their own pace.

The events and circumstances that shape our lives are unique because each of us is unique. What touches one person deeply may do nothing more than irritate or confound another. Therefore, each of us is drawn to different paths—the paths that will have the most profound effects on our personal evolution. If you feel compelled to intervene when watching another human being make their way slowly and painfully down a difficult path, try to empathize with their need to grow autonomous and make their own way in the world. Should this person ask for your aid, give it freely. You can even tell them about your path or offer advice in a conscious loving way. Otherwise, give them the space they need to make their own mistakes, to enjoy the fruits of their labors, to revel in their triumphs, and to discover their own truths.

The temptation to direct the paths of others is a creature of many origins. Overactive egos can convince us that ours is the one true path or awaken a craving for control within us. But each person is entitled to seek out their path leading from the darkness into the light. When we celebrate those paths and encourage the people navigating them, we not only enjoy the privilege of watching others grow—we also reinforce our dedication to diversity, independence, and individuality.

Thanks and God bless us all,
Coyote
Old 07-17-2009, 11:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Coyote I love this--- it is such a good chunk to chew on!

When I finally truly accepted this concept I felt this great weight lifted. I didn't believe it at first - I had to stumble down my own thorn-lined, littered path to discover this truth...but there it was!

peace and thanks for this--
b
Old 07-18-2009, 12:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for this - it's made me think about how I approach my sister, who has depression, as well as my ABF. Thinking that I know the 'best way' for people to heal, thinking these thoughts even if I don't always say it.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Coyote, you have this knack for saying just the right thing at the right time

This will be food for thought for me too today. Reminds me of the line from the book "West With the Night," about the lady African bush pilot Beryl Markham: "I didn't want to rob you of your right to make mistakes." Oh, but how tough it can be sometimes to resist our urge to fix.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Awakening

Originally Posted by GiveLove View Post
Coyote, you have this knack for saying just the right thing at the right time
Aren't I something! I don't have enough insight to actually come up with this good stuff, but I certainly can recognize it when I see it. It's probably been far too long since I told you "I love you Givelove".

Thanks and God bless us all,
Coyote
Old 07-18-2009, 04:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Aww, I'd hug ya if there weren't so darned many hills between us
Take care of that Little Miss Coyote for us.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
mergirl

That hit the spot, thanks so much <3
Old 07-19-2009, 06:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for that post Coyote, as usual you give out something that is of benefit to others here. I have printed it out so I can keep it firmly in my mind.