Sponsor from here?

Old 08-29-2003, 07:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Sponsor from here?

How would I go about getting a sponsor from here to start doing what I need to do to help me deal with my responses to the person I love that drinks? (talk about run on sentences, huh?)

Right now, going to a outside meeting is not a great option for me. Any in my area are evenings and I go to bed at 9pm.

I had hoped to gain some insight from here.

Also, how does having a sponsor help someone who is in Al Anon help? I can see where it would with a person with an addiction - where if they are having a problem and are tempted they call or contact their sponsor, but how does it relate to an Al Anon member?

(told ya I was a newbie to all of this!!!)

Thank you for being here and so patient in answering questions.

G
Old 08-29-2003, 08:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Gloreeah

First, let me say that an Al-Anon sponsor does much the same as any other program sponsor - they are available any time to call and talk to when you are having difficulties working your program.
Also, they work with you, one on one, to learn how to work the steps. The personal connection and guidance is very valuable and much better than trying to work them on our own. That is why it is important to pick a person to sponsor you who has at least a year in the program and who has worked the steps themselves.

As for getting a sponsor here, maybe someone will offer, but please don't be offended if that doesn't happen. I sponsor two people in my live group, but would not consider sponsoring someone here, because the live contact is really needed to do the work (my humble opinion).

My suggestion would be to try to find a day meeting, or if you work to find one on the weekend, or plan to stay up just a little later one night a week. Most meetings begin at 7 or 8 o'clock and last for about an hour and a half. It can be done if you are willing.

Hope this helps.

Hugs
Ann

P.S. You are more than welcome to post here about any difficulties you are having. We all share our experience, strength and hope and I know that I have found the support and help here fantastic. But attending live meetings as well as posting here will give you double the gift.
Old 08-29-2003, 09:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

Thanks Ann. As I said, I'm new to this stuff and appreciate all comments and suggestions.

The thing is - other than the amount of his drinking **I** don't have much for personal issues. I do think (in my opinion) that it's too much liquor to be consumed. This has not affected us financially or socially.

IT does, however, affect his relationship with his kids. His son goes to AA and cannot be around him because he can't stand to see his dad drinking. His daughter doesn't want her kids around him for this reason (ok, so she had other reasons to not let them be around him when he wasn't drinking - but it had to do with the fact that he stopped being an ATM for both his kids)

I *am* concerned that he may have been driving when he shouldn't have been - and that's a MAJOR issue in general.
Old 08-29-2003, 06:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Paused

Hi Gloreeah,

Sponsorship is key to recovery. I think Ann made great suggestions - find a meeting that fits your schedule & use the boards to help along the way. A real plus of live meetings is that you can "Listen & Learn". Others share their experience, strengh & hope & you can really pick up a lot. Friendships may also develop for you.

Try obtaining meeting info for a neighboring area/town/county. And, perhaps you could look into taking some Alan-on books out from a local library. It's another way to learn & to start to explore your own feelings.

I find it helpful to remember that I'm part of a family & every member has their own 'place' that they come from. I may see things differently than others but each of us is entitled to our view/feelings. Some may chose recovery - others may not.

Best to you!