Can I commit 17 yr.old to rehab?

Old 08-29-2003, 05:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Can I commit 17 yr.old to rehab?

Am wondering if I,as the parent of a 17 yr.old can have my son sent to some kind of rehab,against his will? He is totally out of control with the drinking,also becoming more violent.He is scheduled for a hearing at the end of Oct.,for his 2nd charge of underage consumption,but am afraid of what could happen til then.He is totally unwilling to help himself,or even admit there's a problem.We live in Ohio.Thanks
Old 08-29-2003, 06:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Katy

Welcome to our forum. I'm not sure what the legal age limit is where you live, but I believe that you may be able to have him placed in a rehab. If this were my son, and I could do it, I would definitely find him help, whether he wanted it or not. If he were older my suggestion would be different, but he is young enough that anything you can do now may help him in years to come.

Other may come along here and tell you better than I can, but maybe you could check with the treatment places in your area and ask them.

In the meantime, please take a read around, particularly the "powerposts" at the top of the Al-Anon and Nar-Anon boards and you will find some very useful information.

Like many on these boards, I am the mom of an addict too, and my heart goes out to you as well as my prayers.

Please feel free to stay with us and post as often as you like.

Hugs
Ann
Old 08-29-2003, 06:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Does he have a lawyer or public defender? I would talk to them and let them know what you want...your son doesn't need to know that you are doing this.

Do you have someplace in mind? Check into that and name names to the PD and if you are willing to pay etc. Another thing I have learned lately is Ill. has boot camps...you can go to your state's Department of Correction's site and see what is out there.

If my son were young enough to force the issue I absolutely would do it. It is one of my main regrets today that I did not do that when my son was young enough.

Hugs,
JT
Old 08-29-2003, 07:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Katy,

There is a very good treatment facility in Amelia that deals alot with adolesents. Alot of the people that go through the courts in that area end up at this particular facility. It is an intensive out patient program with alot of success. If you would like more information you can email me at [email protected]
Old 08-31-2003, 05:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Paused

In PA I couldn't commit a 15 yr old

Hope your situation is better -

In PA I couldn't commit a 15 yr old against his will. The rehab people told me I had to tell him he couldn't come home unless he signed himself in. I did that but even I didn't believe me when I said it. Much to my surprise, he signed himself in and later said he thought that he had no choice.
Old 08-31-2003, 07:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Katy,
I just went through this with my husband and yes you can have him committed to rehab. I believe you do this through the magistrates office at your local courthouse and then they go and get him and take him where he needs to go. This way you are in no danger of abuse for making him go.

I wish you luck....

Holly