My favorite Alkie neighbor

Old 06-23-2009, 07:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My favorite Alkie neighbor

Another thread prompted me to share this:

At the bottom of my driveway, across the street, lives a blended family. They blended when the kids were just pre-teens, and it could have become the often-seen home of rebellion. She had two pre-teens that lived with the new blended family, he had two kids that lived with their mom and would visit this blended family some weekends and holidays.

For ten years, I watched this family get along, respect each other, live peacefully and quietly, and seem to really enjoy each other. I wondered what they did, why they were so successful.

I also noticed that the stepfather rode a Harley and often had young men over to meet with him and ride.

I watched him lose his job with grace, go through hip surgery without complaint, and raise his second wife's teens with her, all gracefully.

I noticed he apparently had a job again, because he was leaving in his truck in the mornings every day when I was accompanying my son to the bus stop. So I asked him if he got a new job next time I saw him, and he told me he was hired at a local major rehab, and went on to tell me he was an alcoholic in recovery for decades. (and sponsor, thus the young men he would meet with).

I could not ask for a better neighbor. He seems to be a model stepfather and husband. His kids and step kids are respectful, self-motivated, clean, mature, and with good self-esteem.

I truly believe his program has made him this type of man, and these blessings are the result of who he has made himself into, using the tools of his recovery. He and I had a long conversation that day, about recovery.

When you see there are always two sides to a fence, your perspective is much healthier. I've seen the train wrecks that are alkies, but I've also seen this man and the testament his life quietly gives to someone who takes recovery seriously.

They are out there, but perhaps just quietly minding their own side of the street.

CLMI
Old 06-23-2009, 07:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Being Silent so I can Hear

Indeed, some of the most relaxed and joyful people I've known have been recovering.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Thank you for sharing his example, catlover. I hope I'm that kind of father, fiance, and neighbor. We have what I like to think of as a "blended dysfunctional recovery family", it's stories like these that inspire me to do the next right thing, and keep my side of the street clean.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good to know that there are people in recovery that are living productive and happy lives! It gives hope to those still struggling, and those who are witness to the struggles.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ago

Thank you for that post

When I finally started attending meetings in my home town (after a few years of sobriety) I was AMAZED at who I bumped into at meetings, I had NO idea they were sober.

That's the thing about joining those durned secret societies.....THEY"RE SECRET hahahahaha

By day, mild mannered neighbor, by night, terror of SR....AGO