to call the cops or not to

Old 06-22-2009, 12:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

to call the cops or not to

Hi my XAH got so drunk on mother's day that he almost killed himself. the next day I told him to pack his bags and get out. when I got to work I called my mastercard and told them I was afraid that he was going to use a purchase cheque and use it as cash like he has done before. The woman said fine and she would cancel the card. He soon left for anther province to live with his sister. About the first week of june I get my mastercard bill and he cashed a cheque the day after I cancelled it for $400. I called master card and said the woman didn't have authorization to cancel it she made a mistake the card was not cancelled. The man said no problem and reversed the charge. Now I find out from mastercard that because it was my XAH that it is a domestic dispute and they are going to put the $400 back on my mastercard and I have to file a police report for fraud to get it taken care of. Even though I cancelled my card and it was their mistake. Do I phone the police on my XAH or fight with mastercard because it was their mistake or do I just pay the $400. I have a no contact order on my XAH so I can not call him and say pay it.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would do both.. sounds like the best way to get either angle to work for you.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If a stranger did that, would you report him/her to the police? Take the emotion out of it, and contact the police. Theft is theft. Period.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

File the report, get the charges taken off your card and then cancel the card and get a new one.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes, call the police and have him arrested for fraud and stealing. Then see a lawyer about dealing with the credit card company. AND, next time you are aware he is drinking and driving, call the police and have him pulled over before he kills someone.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Yep, file it. I've been thru it, not with someone I knew.. but still, nothing can be done without the police report.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

alcohol is not an excuse for criminality although it often leads to it. I recall at an open AA meeting, a woman visitor had a similar situation and after the meeting asked the recoverees for advice.

Their words were not kind and said things like "fry his ass" "don't let him get away with that" etc etc etc. The recovering alcoholics have no sympathy for the crap families go through at the hands of active alcs.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

Is he an authorized user of the card? Did you get the name of the person you spoke to at MC? Insist they pull up the recorded conversation!
If he's not on your card as an authorized user, then definitely file a report with the police. If it is a joint account, you have no way out of paying it if you wish your credit to remain good.
Cancel all your cards. Call them and say you lost your cards.
Worst case is you pay the 400.00 and learn a HARD lesson as I did. Never ever give anyone access to your credit. They will ruin it.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I work for a credit card company doing collections..I would fight the card company if you want but its not likely it will do any good..Your best bet is either charge him with fraud or pay the bill and be more careful in future..If you dont charge him with fraud that means you are taking responsibility for the bill..Fighting a card company is almost impossible and it will screw up your credit while you are taking care of it