Please welcome prayforhope

Old 06-19-2009, 09:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Please welcome prayforhope

My husband has been sober for 35 days. I am very proud of him. But he just blew up just like he used to when he drank and said he wanted a divorce . He gets very angry the alcohol and drugs are gone but the anger is the same. I thought it would have gotten better, Three kids. one his. 5 years together. is this normal? Do alot of people get divorced after getting sober?
Old 06-20-2009, 01:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

welcome prayforhope-

is your husband in AA? that is, is he in recovery or is he just stopping drinking himself?

he will still demonstrate some of the same behaviors as when he was drinking. we call it a dry drunk.

are you doing something for yourself? like alanon or counselling?
Old 06-20-2009, 01:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Being Silent so I can Hear

35 days is very very very much in the beginning of recovery, and for some the brain doesn't get to "normal" for a year or more.

Let him work his program while you work your side of the street, that's about all you can do.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I posted about PAWS in this forum and it is in a sticky in the alcoholism section. Givelove told me that at this stage they are "stark raving sober". Pretend you are living with someone who is insane, Jeckyl and Hyde, or has multiple personality disorder....whatever you have to do to understand that whatever they say is transient and something contrary to it, or total lack of memory of saying it will follow.

90 days into it, I am still dealing with my pinball of a husband, and NOT having to live in the same house with him is a blessing at this time.

My heart goes out to you, hang in there. On the Getting them sober sight they call these guys "King Baby" HA!