View Poll Results: For what relationship do you attend AlAnon?
Spouse/Partner
76.47%
Parent
5.88%
Sibling
8.82%
Child
8.82%
Other family
0%
Friend
0%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Poll Out of Curiosity

Old 08-26-2003, 08:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Poll Out of Curiosity

Hi All:

As those who read my first post know, I'm here because of my alcoholic sister. Reading through many of these posts, it seems many of you are here due to spouses or partners. I'm curious to know what the breakdown is here, and see if there are any other people dealing with siblings.

I am getting a lot out of reading everyone's posts and getting all your insights, but just curious about this in general.

Thanks!
Old 08-26-2003, 09:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Learning to love life...

Hi Zoraima,
My husband is the main A in my life; the reason I came here. However, my grandparents both died of the disease, and my uncle is an A also.
I am sure you will find many people come here for siblings also.
Glad you found us!
Meg
Old 08-26-2003, 09:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Learning to love life...

What am I saying?!
All these Alanon ol'timers will have my neck if I don't promptly correct myself... Ahem... I come here for ME!!!!

Meg
Old 08-26-2003, 11:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Paused

My Qualifier

I am my qualifier for Al-Anon.
I am why I am here.

:shades:

Fibilt
Old 08-27-2003, 03:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Z,

I put the main reason or person being my spouse, but my father is also an alcoholic, so I guess I would really need to put both.

Constant
Old 08-27-2003, 03:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

Hi Zoraima

Welcome to the boards.

My SO/hubby is the reason I sought out al-anon. I come here for me to help me try obtain some sanity

Hugs,
Debbie
Old 08-27-2003, 06:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Paused

I came because of my adult children.
I stay becuse I was the one that needed to change !
still do !
Old 08-27-2003, 07:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

My addicted son took me to one of his meetings. I found my own soon after, because I knew that I needed help and felt that this was the place to get it. I was right.

And Meg - LOL - I KNOW what you meant.

Hugs
Ann
Old 08-27-2003, 08:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Zoraima

I am here to help me cope with an AH, but my older sister is an A also. She has caused many problems in my life. Last Christmas she grabbed my AH's crotch, then later barfed in my home. She causes CHAOS wherever she goes.

Take care, Cindy
Old 08-27-2003, 08:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
believer

Hi Zoraima,

I'm the daughter of an alcoholic and the wife of an addict, so I qualify for all kinds of 12 step programs! But as Meg said, the main reason I'm here is for me.
Old 08-27-2003, 10:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My reaosn for seeking Al Anon was due to an AH, but I also did grow up with an alcoholic older sister. She is 10 years older and I don't know her bacause after years of rehabs, financial ruin and abuse from her, my parents were advised back then (20 years ago) to do something they called 'Tough Love'. It was like the ultimate in detachment, loving her only from a distance. We didn't know about the programs and services that I know about today. But I can say it was after they 'detached' that she stopped hitting bottm and needing to be cleaned up and checked into hospitals. She started functioning on her own (active, but functioning). I often wonder how she is.
Old 08-27-2003, 10:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Paused

I am here because I'm concerned with my partner's drinking. I can't change how he acts but I want to change how I react.
Old 08-27-2003, 10:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I came here to begin dealing with the all the alcoholics in my life. BUt, I was at then end of my rope with my husband. So I chose spouse but actually the most important people in my life are alcoholics (my husband and parents).

NoDoubt
Old 08-27-2003, 12:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Paused

I am here to recover from a relationship with an alcoholic spouse.

I have no other experience with alcoholism -- in fact, no one in my family even drank liquour........
Old 08-27-2003, 07:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I started coming here because I was desperate to know what to do about my alcoholic husband. I also had an alcoholic dad.

Because of my background, I had a lot of "issues" to deal with myself. This board has been a God-send.

Lyn
Old 08-27-2003, 08:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Queen of one liners

Hello Zoraima,

I qualify to be here on these forums because I AM A MAGNET FOR PEOPLE WHO DRINK TO MUCH.

I AM HERE BECAUSE I WORK A 12 STEP PROGRAM CALLED AL-ANON BECAUSE MY SERENITY DEPENDS ON IT... MY HIGHER POWER LEAD ME HERE TO THIS SITE.

I am the child of
the sibling of
the spouse of
the mother of
the friend of people whose drinking would drive ME crazy if I didn't work the Al-Anon program....

since it is nearly impossible for me to live alone on an island I had to find a way of life that would allow me to be me without giving up everyone in my world as I know it. (That day would come very quickly w/o the program)
Accecptance of EVERYTHING in my life today is the only key to living the sane life I have today. I come to these forums because of a lack of meetings within driving distance for me on a daily basis.....

Believe me, the people here are just as wonderful as my home group is BUT I'll NOT give up either group of them...

Please give yourself a wonderful gift , find a home group and keep coming back here.

In my opinion, in here as in Al-Anon we are all just hearts that hurt.

Love and prayers from one who cares,
Old 08-28-2003, 05:30 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Paused

The reason I am in Alanon is for all of my relationships. They all suffer from my codependency issues. My inability to say "No" and mean it and my lack of boundaries impacts all my relationships from friendships to my spouse and children.
Old 08-30-2003, 09:16 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hello Zoraima
I am also here because of my sister. I have been on a roller coaster of emotions for quite some time now. I found this site, and decided I would try to ease my queasy stomach. Keep in touch, and hang in there.
Old 08-31-2003, 05:38 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Paused

husband, mother, son

Husband for sure is an active alcoholic, knows he has a problem, not working any program. He is not a mean drunk but still, it does cause problems and it breaks my heart to see him killing himself.

Mother is a maybe but stories my father told me after she died seem to imply she drank a whole lot more than I ever knew. She was out of control for some reason - drinking or mental illness or both.

Son is a probably. His girlfriend say so and every weekend he camps out in our woods, she says probably drinking. He is no problem to me, I don't see that side of him. No impact at all on me so far. Though of course I am his Mom and want him to have the best of life.

Other son was a maybe, formerly. At 15 I checked him into rehab for drugs. Around 18 he got enlightened, stopped eating meat, drinking alcohol, smoking cigarettes. I think there is some pot in his life but I don't know that. He seems to manage his life okay, no impact on me.

I have been codependant, working at not being so. I used this and that at times but just don't seem to have the makeup to get addicted.