SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   Thank God for the kindness of people... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/178165-thank-god-kindness-people.html)

Freedom1990 06-12-2009 10:22 AM

Thank God for the kindness of people...

This morning was the first morning I went to work on crutches at the hospital. When I got to the lobby, one of the receptionists there asked me why I hadn't been given a cam boot (they are aware of my stress fracture because I had xrays and a bone scan done up there). I told her I was only told to keep weight off the foot and use crutches for 2 weeks, then a recheck.

She made me sit down, and she went to check with the podiatrist who is at the hospital every Friday to see if he could work me in, which he did.

He was absolutely and completely appalled that not only had I been walking on that foot for over a month now (I fell down the last two basement steps in late April), but that my physician did not put me in a cam boot at the start to stabilize the foot. He said my physician does carry the cam boots in his office.

He just kept shaking his head, and I just kept telling him how much I appreciated him seeing me! He had looked at the xrays and bone scan, and got me in a cam boot right away.

I have to go back and see him in 2 weeks, and if the foot is still swollen/tender, he wants an MRI done to look at possible soft tissue/tendon/ligament damage.

I told that receptionist "God bless you" because basically I had been left flailing on my own with this injury.

I don't think it was any coincidence that the podiatrist was in, and that the receptionist got me in to see him! :)

CatsPajamas 06-12-2009 10:24 AM

I just love it when our HP puts people like that in our path. I'm glad you're getting the help and attention you need.

I've had a stress fracture in my foot... I didn't take care of it like I should have the first time around so I broke it again. It was MUCH worse, more complicated and incredibly more painful the 2nd time around, believe me.

Freedom1990 06-12-2009 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by CatsPajamas (Post 2259091)
I just love it when our HP puts people like that in our path. I'm glad you're getting the help and attention you need.

I've had a stress fracture in my foot... I didn't take care of it like I should have the first time around so I broke it again. It was MUCH worse, more complicated and incredibly more painful the 2nd time around, believe me.

I was reading up on stress fractures earlier in the week, and that's what scared me, not healing properly and breaking it again! HP does work in mysterious ways! :)

Ago 06-12-2009 11:00 AM

That's awesome!!!!

When I did the "mouse over" and it shows the first few lines you know? My dyslexia kicked in and I thought it said "Boot Cam" not "Cam Boot" and I was like "Oh No, now Freedom can get a REALLY good look when she kicks my @ss next time I "blow it" on here :lmao :lmao :lmao

Freedom1990 06-12-2009 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Ago (Post 2259123)
That's awesome!!!!

When I did the "mouse over" and it shows the first few lines you know? My dyslexia kicked in and I thought it said "Boot Cam" not "Cam Boot" and I was like "Oh No, now Freedom can get a REALLY good look when she kicks my @ss next time I "blow it" on here :lmao :lmao :lmao

LMAO!!!! No boot cam in Kansas!

Impurrfect 06-12-2009 11:29 AM

I'm glad HP put everyone in your path, today, too. I had to look up to see what a cam boot looked like (I never did much orthopedic stuff when I was a nurse). Now I realize that I've seen several people come into my restaurant with cam boots on...I always ask them who they kicked:)

I hope this allows you to get around more easily because I still worry about you and those darned crutches.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy