OT-update on my fat tender foot...

Old 06-09-2009, 03:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT-update on my fat tender foot...

So today I finally find out I'm walking around on a foot I never should have been walking around on for over a month now. I do have a stress fracture. I'll be on crutches for awhile. I got sent up for an x-ray late this afternoon to see if there is any calcification yet, and then will find out how long to be non-weight bearing and then another x-ray.

I saw my doctor's PA today, and she said he was talking about a cast if it doesn't start healing. Ugh.

It ought to be fun trying to get my work done in the mornings at the hospital!
Old 06-09-2009, 03:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
cmc

Ouch! What part of the foot is fractured? I hope you heal up soon. Some extra calcium couldn't hurt the healing process, you might want to ask the PA about how much to take.

(((DeVon)))
Old 06-09-2009, 03:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad you found out what it was, DeVon! And clumping around in a cast can't be MUCH worse than clumping around on that painful, swollen foot, can it? (or can it?) At least people can sign it

Hang in there
Old 06-09-2009, 03:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My mom fractured her foot some years back - spontaneous fracture actually. She found out that she had advanced osteo - but her doc had been treating her for a bloot clot! He thought that's why her foot was swollen! Ugh! 6 weeks later she saw a new doc who sent her for an x-ray and found the fracture! It's all better now and she fired her doctor. She now takes an awesome calcium supp - Frameworks it is called - and her bones are in terrific shape.

I hope your big fat foot is better soon, DeVon! Hugs!
Old 06-09-2009, 03:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cmc View Post
Ouch! What part of the foot is fractured? I hope you heal up soon. Some extra calcium couldn't hurt the healing process, you might want to ask the PA about how much to take.
I didn't even think to ask what part of the foot the fracture was in. Mind you, I drove 40 miles to Walmart in Wichita today to pick up a $4 script for a dog, only to be told they had no prescription. So I drive all the way back home, stop by the vet's, and she did indeed call it in!

To add insult to injury, my driver's side door is starting to jam, and sometimes I have to use my key to open it even if I didn't lock it. Guess who left the keys IN the car when she went inside the vet's??? My spare set was under the front seat.

I had to call the police to come get my car open (the passenger door was locked since I had been in Wichita), I was already running late for my doctor's appt, so I left Amber with my car at the vet's while I drove her car to the doctor's.

My mind was pretty well shot by the time I got to the doctor's!
Old 06-09-2009, 03:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
So you'll have a plaster bunny slipper to kick @ss with??

(((Dev))) Hope it's a quick healer, but we know it won't keep you down for long!
Old 06-09-2009, 03:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

LOL DeVon!!
Old 06-09-2009, 03:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

((DeVon))

I'm glad you found out, for sure, what it is, but the "you shouldn't have been walking on it" is like a little too late, huh?

You sound almost as bad as me, with the car keys and spare keys, except that I had my spares ON the same key ring with the regular keys

You deserve some down time, now, so how about you get a litte R&R tonight?

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 06-09-2009, 03:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Impurrfect View Post
You deserve some down time, now, so how about you get a litte R&R tonight?
I've got to go pick up a new sponsee at 7:30 to go over her 1st step tonight!

No rest for the weary or wicked!

PS. I'm going in my baggy sweats and a sleepshirt. I don't care. Maybe she'll fire me!
Old 06-09-2009, 04:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Since you are out...maybe have another spare key made to give to Amber to hold?
I have to have several spares....they are like socks in the washer....where'd it go???????
Old 06-09-2009, 04:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by liveweyerd View Post
Since you are out...maybe have another spare key made to give to Amber to hold?
I have to have several spares....they are like socks in the washer....where'd it go???????
Yep, I'm going to get another spare made this week.

My sponsee cancelled out on me, so now I can prop my foot up and rest!
Old 06-09-2009, 04:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Your HP cutting you a break! Awesome!
Old 06-09-2009, 04:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Welcome to the "OMG! It's been broken this long Club?" lol I know the feeling of shock because my pelvic fracture is a stress fracture too. Strange part is, I don't remember when it actually began to hurt because I experience pain on a daily basis. Just be prepared for lots of people to look at you like you're absolutely crazy when you tell them you've walked around like that for over a month. I'm glad you finally got some answers though. . . sometimes the not knowing is more frustrating than the diagnosis is.

Hang in there, er, hang it IN the air!
Judy
Old 06-09-2009, 06:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by serenityqueen View Post
Welcome to the "OMG! It's been broken this long Club?" lol I know the feeling of shock because my pelvic fracture is a stress fracture too. Strange part is, I don't remember when it actually began to hurt because I experience pain on a daily basis. Just be prepared for lots of people to look at you like you're absolutely crazy when you tell them you've walked around like that for over a month. I'm glad you finally got some answers though. . . sometimes the not knowing is more frustrating than the diagnosis is.
I started thinking earlier, why in the hay didn't my doc send me for a bone scan right after the fall and the x-rays didn't show anything?

Oh well, it would really be nice to eventually have matching feet again and be able to wear real shoes!
Old 06-09-2009, 06:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Dev:

Is this PA in your PCP's office or in the office of an Orthopedic Doctor?

I ask, because, now a days Ortho Docs don't like to cast unless ABSOLUTELY NO OTHER WAY can be found.

I really would take the films to an Ortho Doctor and question them extensively to see the films, have them show exactly whee the break is, and then explain what is the VERY BEST way to get this to heal.

J M H O

Love and hugs,

PS: as to locking keys in car, I don't have enough fingers and toes to count how many times I have done that. Also, put some graphite on your key, and put the key in the door lock and lock and unlock it several times, that may just do the trick.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
cmc

DeVon...it could be that your doc never saw the xrays. I prefer a doc who likes to see the actual pics instead of someone else's interpretation in a report.

Many years ago I dropped a wooden toybox on my foot at work while preparing my classroom for the new school year, and later that afternoon decided to go to the ER for an xray. While the tech was placing my foot on the panel, he pulled on my ankle. I said 'ouch' of course because he was too rough. The xray on my toe had come back negative but the radiologist called me the next morning (at work!) to ask how my broken ankle was doing and did I need to come in again!!!!

As soon as I left work that day- I went to the hospital, got the films and took them to our orthopedic surgeon. He showed me the clearly visible fracture line running from the top to the bottom of my big toe!!