Does it ever end?

Old 03-01-2010, 08:12 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

UPDATE:

Well, 8 months and not much has changed. My daughter is sober for a few weeks, the binge drinks.

Last Thurs. she got drunk and the police were called this time. She was not compliant with the officer and was arrested.....after being tased, not a pleasant sight.

She has been in jail and goes to court this morning.

Since she is also on disabilty (PTSD, anxiety, and depression) medicare will not pay for rehab.

So, once again we are faced with what to do.

My son and grandchildren are stressed to the max, and really don't want her home, but where does she go?

We can insist on rules, but she always breaks them.

If it were just the alcohol, It would make this decision easier, but she has the mental issues and I'm worried about where she will end up.

When she binge drinks, she never remembers anything.......but we all remember everything.

We tape recorded everything she said last week and want to play it back for her...but she's already refused to listen.

We an force her to do it as part of the rules she has to follow (again, not leaving the house, getting to AA, or getting to a day treatment program) but she brings up the PTSD and says it will harm her.

So, putting this out there...any suggestions?

Thank you....
Old 03-03-2010, 06:47 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Response?
Old 03-03-2010, 07:42 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry to hear about your situation. I wish I could give you some advice but I don't really feel qualified. However, reading your story makes me realize all the pain my mom must have felt when I was drinking heavily. I am so sorry for your pain. I hope someone will be along shortly to give you some advice, I just want to offer you my support.

Catz
Old 03-03-2010, 08:24 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
11/11/07

I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter, godspeed to her recovery.
All I have to offer as a newly sober alcoholic (2yrs.+) is too do what's best for your grandchildren, they have no choice in this matter and need to be protected and cared for, please make your decisions with their interests first.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:34 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'm still working on getting her into long term rehab.....not many around in my area...
Old 03-04-2010, 06:49 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

This is actually a VERY common problem, that is, mental illness + alcoholism/substance abuse ("co-occurring disorders"). Unfortunately, there are no easy answers for those of us who are the loved ones of people with these problems. You do the best you can with the hand that is dealt you. Protect and take care of yourself is my only advice.