Remembering ourselves too

Old 05-25-2009, 09:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Remembering ourselves too

How do we want to be remembered?

It's memorial day here in the states, and it's the day we think about what others have done, remembering all the good about them (especially servicemen). This year, at the suggestion of a counselor, I'm also spending time thinking about all the good I'd like to do, whether or not I've already done it.

He suggested I write down at least 5 things I'd like to be remembered for, or remembered as. Like, if I were to die tomorrow, what would I want the person doing my eulogy to say about me, and all the people in the room would nod and think, yep, she was all that AND a bag of chips. I was amazed at how hard that was. I felt almost ashamed, remembering all those voices that said, "Don't talk about yourself! People will think you're stuck up!" But in the end, after 7 cups of coffee and a walk, I did come up with five things:

I'd like to be remembered as being:
Genuine: People always knew where they stood with me, and were always seeing the 'real me', like it or not.
Honest: If it came out of my mouth, it was true
Brave: Not afraid to face difficult things whenever necessary, and not afraid to stick my neck out to defend other people either
Kind: No inner need to be anything but good to people
Funny: Because sometimes laughter is more healing than all the pills and all the therapy in the world

I'm not saying I AM these things yet. But seeing them in black and white, I have a better road map and can try to match up my day-to-day actions to it.

What do YOU want to be remembered for? When you get to the end of your time on this rock and look back, what are the things you want people to absolutely know was true about you? Just wondering....we have so many incredible people here on this board and I'm always interested in where they're heading
:ghug
Old 05-25-2009, 10:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

1. Total acceptance of my son (Death Metal music and all)
2. My "sanctuary" homes where friends came for comfort.
3. Good listener in times of need.
4. Courage.
5. Tried to grow.

I liked yours, too, GL
Old 05-25-2009, 02:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

I loved both of your lists,

1/ The comfortable sofa with pillows attribute - I was told once by a friend that when he talked to me he felt he was in a large, comfortable sofa, that he was able to talk about anything and not feel judged. "She was a good listener" is what they would say.

Working on the other 4
Old 05-25-2009, 02:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'd like to be remembered for

1. Being a true friend
2. Bringing up my children well
3. Facing up to whatever I needed to, whenever I had to
4. Being true to myself
and finally number five, I'd like to be remembered for 'being a bit of a raver' at my 90th birthday party
Old 05-25-2009, 03:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'd like to be remembered for:

1) Getting a kick out of life; even the small stuff.
2) Laughing. I have a BIG laugh and I generally find humor in situations life throws my way (although my posts probably paint me as a hard-a$$ with NO sense of humor ...)
3) Finding recovery and FINALLY understanding that I own one life, and only one life - mine.
4) Making it none of my business what other people think of me. You don't like me? Okay by me.
5) Letting the A's in my life go and showing them the respect to pursue their addiction.
6) Loving animals and spending time and contributing money to various rescue and shelter facilities.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Very cool, you guys. TC, I'll be waiting on those other four (GL taps foot...)

XOX
GL