didn't know i married AH, now I feel trapped

Old 05-25-2009, 09:39 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thanks Still Waters for your post.

I feel I have to talk to his doctor because I am his wife. I do love him. And he is doing something that is dangerous to himself. Since we are married, what he does affects my life. If he gets addicted to Xanax or has worse problems because of it, I am affected.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:50 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Being Silent so I can Hear

I absolutely and totally understand where you're coming from sosad, I do.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:21 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

AGO,
Thanks for posting your link. I was so overwhelmed last night when I read all these posts that I did not have to opportunity to read your links. I did this morning. Very captivating story. I am glad you are out of it. I hope your vaca was fun and your relationship is blossoming. I day dream about having a wonderful relationship too sometimes.

I don't know if I can do what you did, though I know that it took a lot of courage and it was the absolute right thing to do for you.

I have decided to dedicate a few hours every day to job-finding/looking at buisness ideas. Boy, I sure would be happing making $70-$120K like you in your own business. that would be my dream rather than go work for someone else. I feel like I have that golden opportunity to try to do this now that I don't have to make money to keep a roof over my head... but sometimes I feel because of AH I don't have all the time in the world.

M
Old 05-26-2009, 08:58 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

So Sad,

I don't know what your situation is and it is none of my business. However, one reason I stayed with my A was the assumption and promise not only of "I'll never drink again" but also "I will take care of you forever, I promise." Those are words and they can change on a dime. Being financially independent (even if you are just starting with the basics) is VERY important to self esteem. I grew up with traditional gender roles in my world. I always viewed my working as optional and something just for me. HOWEVER, I now view it as essential to my peace of mind and security. As you know, things can turn to hell in a handbasket really quickly and the ability to get yourself out of an unhealthy position fast is important to take care of yourself. Personally, now, I would not rely on the intentions, promises or words of an active A. Too unreliable.

You are a strong woman and sound very industrious.

Keep Posting!

Miss
Old 05-26-2009, 01:51 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

So Sad,

Yuck! I hate your situation for you. But, I agree with Anvil and Still Waters about talking with his doctor. That is for him to do, not you. Even though you are married, you are married to another adult, not a baby. If he CHOOSES to mix drugs and booze, then you have the CHOICE to talk to him about it and if he continues, then leave him to it.

The big issue when dealing with an active A is that talking with them about not drinking is like talking to a brick wall. They will drink until they want to stop and not before regardless of what you say. He might feed you lines, so that you will stick around to take care of him, but notice his ACTIONS, not his words.

It would be great if we could pull the strings to make them behave a certain healthy (in our opinion) way, but that doesn't work. At least it doesn't work for long. The lying and other sordid things really get going once you try to control or advise an active A. My experience leads me to say, I would not talk to an active A's doctor about anything.

By the way 1 1/2 - 2 years ago I called my exabf's previous 28 day rehab in FL and told them that he was drinking again and to please call him or send him a life line...I didn't know what to do. No one called him and they acted like I was out of my mind to ask them to do that...

Miss
Old 05-26-2009, 03:58 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

MISS FIXIT
You are 110% right. I have been thinking this in my head (about being financially dependent is my only way out), but it is nice to hear someone else say it. In the beginning, and every time he ended up in the emergency room, he swore he would stop drinking. Now, he senses my dependence so he does what he wants. When he told me a few weeks ago to get the hell out if I didn't like the drinking, it really made me realize how my whole world could change. Also, since he started having these dizzy spells while driving, it could have potentially meant he had to stop working at least until he figures out how to stop the dizziness. I told him for so long that the road he is headed is - dead, disabled, sued cause he hit and hurt someone, a dui and have his license taken away and loose his job...he just don't care.

ANVILHEAD
I know his doctor won't respond, but i have to at least warn him about what is going on. Today I sent him a post from sober recovery about someone's experience with xanax/alcohol. His response was "stop sending me these stupid emails, okay
Old 05-26-2009, 04:53 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

On the topic of notifying the doctor, well... I agree it is enabling to prevent the AH to suffer his consequences (such as lying to the doctor!! notifying him of the problem would be saving himself from his own lies, thus protecting the disease).

sosad2008... I would like to say I am surprised about his response. You see, for everyone the sky is blue. An AH will say its black. The friends will start saying its black. YOU will say its black. OF COURSE ITS BLUE!!!!!! But no!!!!!! they live in a separate reality.. in the "twilight zone" so, its better to start realizing DENIAL is a monster no one has EVER defeated... and move on from there.

When I confronted F. with his way of drinking, he either stared in silence, got defensive, showed "personal exceptionalism" ("MY path is a very lonely path..." cmon isn't everybody's!!) or started complaining about my faults. All very typical of an AH. If I knew about this before, I would have mocked him with "hey, at least try to respond in a more original way, use puppets or something!!"

I am rambling. Thanks for posting sosad, it really helps to know we are not alone! And I am glad you are not buying his quacking anymore. I also got the "if you don't like it, then I'm better off without you" wow...

It is a very, very sad disease.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:19 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TakingCharge999 View Post
On the topic of notifying the doctor, well... I agree it is enabling to prevent the AH to suffer his consequences (such as lying to the doctor!! notifying him of the problem would be saving himself from his own lies, thus protecting the disease).

sosad2008... I would like to say I am surprised about his response. You see, for everyone the sky is blue. An AH will say its black. The friends will start saying its black. YOU will say its black. OF COURSE ITS BLUE!!!!!! But no!!!!!! they live in a separate reality.. in the "twilight zone" so, its better to start realizing DENIAL is a monster no one has EVER defeated... and move on from there.

When I confronted F. with his way of drinking, he either stared in silence, got defensive, showed "personal exceptionalism" ("MY path is a very lonely path..." cmon isn't everybody's!!) or started complaining about my faults. All very typical of an AH. If I knew about this before, I would have mocked him with "hey, at least try to respond in a more original way, use puppets or something!!"

I am rambling. Thanks for posting sosad, it really helps to know we are not alone! And I am glad you are not buying his quacking anymore. I also got the "if you don't like it, then I'm better off without you" wow...

It is a very, very sad disease.

Gosh your so right, they really think they are special and different, but it has amazed me (also in hindsight since my AH left) just how exactly the same they all are, apart from some are physically abusive (mine wasnt) - the manipulation, the scewed way of thinking is all the same..what they do is the same too..mine has done whats called a "geographical cure" - he hardened his heart to me, stopped all intimacy, blamed me, said horrid things about me to mutual friends (luckily they could see what he was doing and were very fed up with his behaviour), then he went abroad, rang me from there to say yet again that our marriage was over (at least 12 times during 6 year marriage), gave all his clothes (I mean everything) to charity and went to the west indies...Ive no idea where he is now. Oops Ive gone off track, but the thing that comes through so much is that they all ACT and SAY the same things....nothing unique at all for all their ideas of personal exceptionalism, puppets to their alcohol is what they are... lilly
Old 05-27-2009, 07:03 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sosad2008 View Post
MISS FIXIT
had to stop working at least until he figures out how to stop the dizziness. I told him for so long that the road he is headed is - dead, disabled, sued cause he hit and hurt someone, a dui and have his license taken away and loose his job...he just don't care.
Remember that as his wife, you too will bear all those consequences of his choices. You also can be sued and lose all your assets. Only you can decide to make sure that doesn't happen to you.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:52 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Ago

Originally Posted by sosad2008 View Post
MISS FIXIT
You are 110% right. I have been thinking this in my head (about being financially dependent is my only way out), but it is nice to hear someone else say it. In the beginning, and every time he ended up in the emergency room, he swore he would stop drinking. Now, he senses my dependence so he does what he wants. When he told me a few weeks ago to get the hell out if I didn't like the drinking, it really made me realize how my whole world could change. Also, since he started having these dizzy spells while driving, it could have potentially meant he had to stop working at least until he figures out how to stop the dizziness. I told him for so long that the road he is headed is - dead, disabled, sued cause he hit and hurt someone, a dui and have his license taken away and loose his job...he just don't care.

ANVILHEAD
I know his doctor won't respond, but i have to at least warn him about what is going on. Today I sent him a post from sober recovery about someone's experience with xanax/alcohol. His response was "stop sending me these stupid emails, okay
Until I understood these next two posts from "Classic Reading" all I did was harm myself.

He doesn't care, all he wants from you is to "get with the program"

If you tell his Doctor about the drinking and Xanax he will find another way to get what he wants.

He will go through you, over you, around you to "get what he wants", he won't care how much he harms you on the way.

The only way I could "recover" from codependency was to get as merciless about my recovery as they were about keeping the Status Quo

As in, it had to become the single most important thing in my life, just like an alcoholic/addicts "most important thing" is staying loaded and keeping things "the way they are"

Until I understood that they really didn't care, and that I was responsible for caring for myself and not them, and that truthfully they didn't care about me in the slightest except where I could enable them, I remained "stuck"

What Addicts Do
This post has been reposted so many times that I thought I would sticky it here at the top. Jon posted this some time ago, in response to the many questions of "why" that were asked by those who love an addict. I thank Jon for sharing this so honestly and hope it will help others understand what addicts do.

What Addicts Do

My name's Jon. I'm an addict. And this is what addicts do. You cannot nor will not change my behavior. You cannot make me treat you better, let alone with any respect. All I care about, all I think about, is my needs and how to go about fufilling them. You are a tool to me, something to use. When I say I love you I am lying through my teeth, because love is impossible for someone in active addiction. I wouldn't be using if I loved myself, and since I don't, I cannot love you.

My feelings are so pushed down and numbed by my drugs that I could be considered sociopathic. I have no empathy for you or anyone else. It doesn't faze me that I hurt you, leave you hungry, lie to you, cheat on you and steal from you.

My behavior cannot and will not change until i make a decison to stop using/drinking and then follow it up with a plan of action.

And until I make that decsion, I will hurt you again and again and again.

Stop being surprised.

I am an addict. And that's what addicts do.
There are many ways to enable an alcoholic
As the saying goes, you are not the cause of someone else's drinking problem, you cannot cure it and you can't control it.
But there are ways that you may be contributing to the problem.

Before placing the blame for all the problems in your family or your relationship on his (or her) drinking, it might be wise to examine how the other person's drinking may have affected you, and how you have reacted to it.

For example, does the following statement sound familiar?

I don't have a problem with my drinking! The only problem is your attitude. If you would quit complaining about it, there wouldn't be a problem!

Well, obviously that statement is not completely accurate; after all denial of the problem is one of the more frustrating parts of the problem.

On the other hand the statement may not be completely false either.
How do you react to the alcoholic's drinking? Could your reaction be a part of the overall problem? Have you fallen into "role playing" in the family? Is there anything that you can do to improve the situation?

The following describes an incident that could be an example of alcoholic behavoir, and some examples of reactions to the incident. Do any of these sound familiar?

The alcoholic comes home late and he is drunk, too drunk in fact to get the key into the front door lock. After several futile attempts, he decides that it is a lost cause. Since he does not want anyone in the house to know that he is too drunk to unlock his own door, he makes a brilliant decision that solves his problem. He goes to sleep in the front yard!

How would you react?

The Rescuer
The "rescuer" doesn't let the incident become a "problem." Since she has been waiting up for him anyway, she goes out in the yard, gets the alcoholic up, cleans him up, and puts him into bed. That way the neighbors never see him passed out in the flower bed!
She never mentions the incident to him or anybody else. If anyone else mentions it, she denies there is a problem. She lies for him, covers up for his mistakes, and protects him from the world.

As the problems increase and his drinking gets worse, she takes on responsibilites that were once his. She may get a job or work extra hours to pay the bills. And if he gets in trouble with the law, she will move heaven and earth to come up with his bail.

The Provoker
The "provoker" reacts by punishing the drunk for his actions. She either waits for him to wake up the next morning and gives it to him with both barrels, or she goes out and turns the water sprinklers on!
She scolds, ridicules, and belittles. She nags. She screams insults at him loud enough for everyone to hear. She gets on the telephone and tells all her friends he's a loser. She is angry and she makes sure that the alcoholic and everybody else knows it. Or she gives him the cold shoulder and doesn't speak to him. She threatens to leave.

She doesn't let it go, either. The anger and resentment continue to build as these incidents become more frequent. She never lets him forget his transgressions. She holds it against him and uses it as a weapon in future arguments -- even months or years later.

The Martyr
The "martyr" is ashamed of the alcoholic's behavoir and she lets him know it by her actions or words. She cries and tells him, "You've embarrassed us again in front of the whole neighborhood!"
She sulks, pouts, and isolates. She gets on the telephone with her friends and tearfully describes the misery that he has caused her this time! Or she is so ashamed of it she avoids her friends and any mention of the incident.

Slowly she becomes more withdrawn and depressed. She may not say much about it to the alcoholic, but she lets him know with her actions that she is ashamed of him. Quietly she tries to make him feel quilty for his behavoir.

Which is the Enabler?

The above examples may be somewhat of an exaggeration, but then again they may be very typical of what goes on in an alcoholic home. The "roles" the nonalcoholic spouse plays in the family may not be as well defined, as they are outlined here. Depending upon the circumstances, the spouse may fall into one of these roles, or may switch back and forth between them all.
So which of the spouses described above is an enabler? Which one is actually helping the alcoholic progress in his disease? Which one, although they are trying to make things better, are actually contributing to the problem?

All of them.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:57 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I was the proverbial provoker....of course whenever he left, which was often, he always came back with "you have to change your behaviour" so I was the perfect enabler...neither of us ever looked at his behaviour. I was always grateful he came back and he was always superior because it wasnt him, even though his behaviour was absolutely unacceptable that led to it.. My own sister stayed a year ago because she had to have a major operation in the Uk and was living in Dubai, her very first outing after her operation, was to look for my AH. She said he treated our marriage and our home like a half way house and do you know, I couldnt see it!!! I still cant see it...i was so used to the two roles we played that it did become normal especially the way he treated me. And, Im not from an abusive family, didnt marry until I was 43, was completely independent, but give me 7 years and Im a real codie....my parents were shocked at how I deferred to my AH all the time, Ive always been a bit of a madam, they couldnt believe it..but there I was, trying desperately to stop the wheel of madness spinning, keep everything ok, keep him happy, stop him drinking...oh what a waste of 7 years and in the end he did what he has already done to two long term marriages/relationships which involved children (just a dog this time), he just left and never looked back....
Old 05-28-2009, 08:04 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Thanks LilyBurn, Barbara and Take Charge for your posts. I agree with your thoughts.

AGO,
Interesting post. I would say I was all three, but mostly the Provoker. I always wondered if I was just contributing to the problem.

BUT I HAVE GOOD NEWS.

First, I put off going to his doctor about the Xanax/alcohol and I am glad I waited. I noticed a change in my husband's attitude in the last 2 1/2 days. I am happy to say that yesterday and today he did not drink at all!!

Well yesterday I believe it was because he had to take a special test at the doctors today. But I rewarded him but sleeping in bed instead of on the coach last night.

Tonight he didn't drink either.

What's changed?

1) Me. I noticed that since I have been writing on this board I have become a lot calmer. I stopped brow beating him as much or not playing the matyr. But I am doing more covert stuff like finding his Xanax stash to see how much he is taking. I was happy to see that he was not mixing the two (at least 3 nights ago).

2) I did tell him some of the stories that I have read here about taking Xanax and alcohol and told him....not long drawn on lectures, like I use to...but short sound bites. Also I realized that even though he got mad that I sent him what he called email news flashes - he DID read them! I actually caught him quickly reading it before he deleted it.

3) I think he does not like the idea that I have to drive with him on his appointments (just he has a panic attack), but at the same time he appreciates that I go (and have to wait hours for him to finish his appointment)...but we actually able to spend good quality time together on those long rides.

4) During the rides he did start to open up about how much Xanax he takes etc. Whereas before the subject of his health was off limits, he now discusses them with me calmly and it seems, honestly.

And okay, I won't get my hopes up...afterall, I have seen this before and then he goes right back... but right now, I feel good. I feel hopeful.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:44 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

SoSad,

I am one of those that actually DID call the doctor for my ASO, and the Doc basically told me to have him call. She wouldn't talk to me.

I hope whatever happens, you get your life back.

BCG
Old 05-31-2009, 10:19 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

So much for the sobriety. MY LIFE IS A ROLLERCOAST! WHEN WILL IT END. WHEN WILL IT GET BETTER!!!!!!!

It lasted two days. He tried not to go to the bar on Friday. He wanted to go out to take me out to dinner, but in the end he changed his mind. He said he wouldn't be long, but he was gone over 3 hours.

I went to my sister's on Saturday. I ended up staying over. I tried calling him to let him know I was staying over but could not reach him. When I got home he was still sleeping...until 10 am! And still then, he didn't get up and worse, LOOKED and ACTED like he was "out of sorts". I counted 23 xanax Tuesday night. He took one wednesday while going to work. Wednesday and Thursday he did not drink and seemed "normal and happy".

The really CRAZY part is we were suppose to be at his mothers a 2pm. (it is no 1:11 pm). His son son was brining over his newborn daughter and fiance. His mom was cooking. We set up the whole thing. Almost an hour ago he told me I should probably start getting ready. While I was in the bathroom he called in that he wasn't feeling well. I rushed to put my clothes on and went downstair. He had the same clothes on he slepted in but had his shades, baseball hat and shoes on. I asked where he was going, he said no where. Then he walked outside and drove off! I went in, put some clothes on and went looking for him. I did find him, 6 miles away at the usual bar.

I came home and checked the Xanax and found only 14 pills! He had 8 pills between Thursday and Sunday morning. I doubt he took any on Thursday because he had to take some special test at the hospital early in the morning.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:22 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Ago

what now?

I ask in all seriousness.

I think there are now the 5 "c's"

I didn't cause it
I can't control it
I can't cure it

I shouldn't contribute to it
I shouldn't "count" it (counting drinks, pills etc is the fast track to insanity)

Your husband appears to be an alcoholic/addict, how can you care for yourself now that this information appears to be pretty clear.

If you can't control or cure it, what now? What can you do for yourself?

You ask when will your life get better.

It will get better when you take action to make it better and stop relying on his actions to make it better. Active alcoholism is quite literally insanity. Your life will get better when you stop relying on the actions of an insane person to make it better.

I'm very very sorry you are going through this, but it's up to you now, not him.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:37 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

It is not fair!!!!! I didn't sign up for this!!!!
Old 05-31-2009, 12:05 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Ago

I know

:ghug3

None of us did

I am sorry
Old 05-31-2009, 12:32 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

"Married an Alcoholic and Now I Feel Trapped"
...and you are and will be for as long as you keep yourself in that situation. I'm sorry and no You didn't sign up for this.

I know what trapped feels like, tastes like, smells like. It's engulfing. Staying trapped will keep you on an emotional roller coaster. I am truly, truly sorry that you are in this very difficult place in your life, but I can assure you that nothing will change or get better, unless you make it better for yourself.

I can't recall if you have sought legal advice or considered your options Sosad, but your husband isn't likely to change his life because you want him to.

I'm sending you a cyber hug. I was happy to read that you have a sister close by.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:34 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I was the wife of an alcoholic for 18 years..20 year relationship. I didn't want to believe what I was seeing and what I was living. I couldn't get my head around the idea that someone would blatantly lie, manipulate, cheat, and steal, especially my husband toward me. I thought my XAH thought like me and therefore became all entangled in the idea that something must be wrong with me and if only I could improve I would make things better. (Did you notice all the I's and me's in that thought?) I did not realize how arrogant I was...I actually believed I had some sort of power over someone else. I WAS WRONG.

I had to hit bottom just like addicts do before I woke up and took responsibility for myself and the big old mess I had created with my life. Who knew... I had choices all along!!

What helped me stop my own insanity was the following: reading, reading, reading to educate myself on my problem and on addictions. One of the first books I read was "How Alanon Works". I got it from the library and was astounded by what I read because it was describing me and my life. Then I started to go to Alanon...the first meeting was real hard for me to go to and took all my courage. I am so glad I went. Last, I started individual counseling to work on why I treated myself like I did and why I subjected my children to it and other issues relevant to my life.

Today, 3 years after I hit my bottom and shattered I am doing great. I am a work in progress and feel serentiy and joy a lot of the time. My life is 500% better and different than it was before.

It was terrifying to let go of the old me and my old ways. But I did it!!! You are starting to help yourself too by posting here. Please keep us updated because many of us have been exactly where you are now.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:45 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

i want to run
far away
from here...

I want to run
into the arms
of a loving someone
someone who always wants me near

all i've ever wanted
was a normal life
why is not possible