Alanon

Old 05-18-2009, 02:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alanon

Hello all,
I've been giving some thought to trying alanon again, but I don't know if it will help me at this point or not.
My RAH has been sober since Dec 26, 2007. I tried a meeting on Dec 31 07 and didn't like it at all. I was very angry and had a hard time with the whole HP thing. I've since decided that my dog will be my HP - he gets excited over the little things, and doesn't stress over the big things
I wonder if it will make me think about all the things that happened before he got sober, or if it will actually help me get over the things I still hang on to.
I feel like I won't belong there because my husband is sober now.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Alanon has nothing to do with whether the A in my life (in my case, my AD) is sober or not.

Alanon is there for me and my issues, to help me heal from the effects that alcoholism has had on my life.

Alanon has given me a whole new way to live.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

tryingtofly,

I had to try several different meetings before I found one that felt right to me. I am not religious either, and so had to do some 'crafting' with my HP concept too, but it ended up working out great.

There are also folks here who have sought other kinds of help in addition to - or instead of - al-anon. Have you thought of private counseling to try to work through some of your more difficult thoughts? That, to me, was equally valuable, if not moreso.

Either way, glad you're reaching out!!!
Old 05-18-2009, 04:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Check out the secular programs in the resources. I like them because rather than being "powerless" over something, they EMPOWER you to make positive changes.

BTW, ROTFL over the dog humor. I once had so little faith I made my tomato plants my higher power. Love those juicy red babies!