Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

How long after leaving treatment centre does an alcoholic still smell like alcohol?

How long after leaving treatment centre does an alcoholic still smell like alcohol?

Old 05-15-2009, 03:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi I am new to this. I have been married to an A for 6 years. He left his treatment centre in December and I was told that they will smell like alcohol for a while after detoxing. Is this true or is AH drinking. I have no trust at all in this relationship. He is a closet drinker. Just curious.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

welcome!!!

I can't answer your question, but do recall a case here some time back, gentleman was blowing positive on a breathalyzer
months afterwards, apparently it is common enough.

Keep coming back, you'll find a lot of support here.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

5 months later? Nahh.. that's gotta be new liquor, in my opinion. I HOPE not, but seriously..

Maybe someone will know more about that than me though, I do remember the story John is relating.

Honestly, I used to use that 2 or 3 days after a big bender.. "it's just getting out of my system".. but that was a lie, and only because I had been drinking that day.

But that was me..
Old 05-15-2009, 03:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I just wanted to welcome you to SR!!

Good for you for seeking out help with this.

My thought is that five months seems like a long time for alcohol to be present systemically. Even the pungent herbals I use for my horses that are released through the skin only have a max life span of 30 days. Could a slow metabolism be the culprit?? My boyfriend has not quit drinking longer than a week, so I don't have first hand experience to share, unfortunately.

More time will tell.

Peace to you during this time. Keep posting!!

Alice
Old 05-15-2009, 03:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

5 months out of rehab and he smells of alcohol? He's drinking.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Being Silent so I can Hear

No. No way the alcohol is still in his system after that long of a time.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

5 months since he quit & he smells like alcohol. That is so ridiculous it's not really fun but sad.

tib
Old 05-15-2009, 08:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You've already established that you have no trust in this relationship. What do you want for your life?

I was absolutely drained in the end when I was still with my EXAH. There was no trust, only fear, anger, resentment, and lots of violence with me on the receiving end.

I hope you continue to post, ask questions, or just vent. :ghug :ghug
Old 05-15-2009, 09:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Ago

Is he a Diabetic?

Have you ever heard of diabetic ketoacidosis?

It "presents" exactly like alcoholism

There is such a thing as Adult Onset Diabetes

It is important to note that to an untrained person the symptoms of acute DKA, such as breath odor, are very similar to alcohol intoxication, and it is easy to assume that the person is drunk instead of suffering from a diabetic emergency.

* Sluggishness, extreme tiredness.
* Extreme thirst, despite large fluid intake.
* Constant urination
* Fruity smell to breath, similar to nail polish remover (acetone).
* Hyperventilation, at first rapid and shallow, then progressively deeper and less rapid.
* Extreme weight loss.
* Oral Thrush and/or persistent vaginal yeast infections may be present; this is because the normal fungal flora present in the oral cavity and cervix are disrupted
* Muscle wasting.
* Agitation / Irritation / Aggression / Confusion
* Vomiting, nausea
* Extreme pain in shoulders, neck and chest
I would suggest checking this out, people can die from this.

Or, He's drinking

It's one or the other I would venture to say.
Old 05-16-2009, 02:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My AXGF would smell of alcohol for, at most, a few days after stopping. By the time the alcohol-withdrawal shakes had stopped she'd be smelling "normal".

A remaining smell of alcohol for months after (allegedly) stopping is either secret drinking or, as Ago says, something seriously wrong with their metabolism.

I find Occam's razor useful for this kind of thing - either a) a known alcoholic and one with a track record of secret drinking has resumed drinking after treatment and is lying about it, or b) with peculiar timing and despite continuing sobriety, they have developed only a few symptoms of a relatively rare medical condition that, strangely, gives the impression that they've resumed drinking.

I know which one my money's on.

Mr B.
Old 05-16-2009, 03:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

A lot of this might be about enabling and that desperate wish to believe the alcoholic. I am an alcoholic and an enabler for three alcoholic brothers and everytime they put me through the mill it is about me not knowing whether or not to believe their latest BS.
Old 05-16-2009, 04:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

WELCOME TO THE SR FAMILY!

Unforunately I have to agree, it sure sounds like he's drinking again. I'm glad you found us and shared what's going on. There is a tremendous amt of support here on SR as well as some fantastic friendships to be made.

Be prepared to hear all kinds of wild excuses for why he smells like alcohol. As a recovering alcoholic & addict, I know how "creative" our minds can be when trying to cover our tracks. When someone who has an addict or alcoholic in their lives asks me, I usually tell them that if it sounds like BS, it probably is BS. Have you considered going to Alanon? I know you'll find a huge amt of face to face support from others who are in the same position that you are.

I hope you'll continue to share, read through the threads and remember that we care!

God Bless,
Judy
Old 05-16-2009, 12:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Who told you he'd still smell of alcohol? Was it him? I only ask as sounds like a stunt my ex would have pulled
Old 05-16-2009, 12:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I totally agree with AGO posting a deeper look at what might be going on.
Much love and light!~Cheryl
Old 05-16-2009, 03:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It is highly likely that he is drinking again, however at work I kept asking one of my clients if he was using solvents - similar smell to cheap white cider, but more chemical somehow. I eventually got to the point where I believed him (believe me this is rarer than you think in the hostel) and tried to work out what else it could be. He was diagnosed a week later as diabetic. If he checks this out and there is no problem, he is definitely drinking. The smell of alcohol is gone within three weeks max.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:06 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

Originally Posted by Rainbowsend View Post
Who told you he'd still smell of alcohol? Was it him? I only ask as sounds like a stunt my ex would have pulled
That was my first question too.

I was a pro drunk for a long long time. I've been in rehab multiple times. I know many many other pro drunks. I've never heard of the odor not going away completely after just a few days.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:21 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It takes the normal body three hours to process one ounce of hard liquor....so you can do the math but if he consumed enough to still be processing 5 months later, one would think he would be dead from alcohol poisoning.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:31 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks for your warm wishes and doses of reality. He is drinking I found bottles on the roof. He has been tested before for diabetic and the test come back negative. I have asked AH to leave. The counsellors at the treament centre he was at told us that he would smell like alcohol but did not say for how long. I have had enough of he lies, lies lies. I left him last year after he kicked me and I called the police on him. He kicks me and it's my fault. BS. He calls me all sorts of names infront of our 2 girls. We have a 5yr and a 3yr. after he left the treatment centre I felt obligated to take him back but wasn't ready. The time I had without him was peaceful. I live in Canada and he is going to visit his sister where she can enable him. I am so happy he is going and I am counting the days. I am tired of the disrepect this man gives me. Why did I go back?????
Old 05-18-2009, 10:39 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

We go back because we want to believe it's going to be different.

My EXAH was abusive too. Once I left, I never looked back.

You and those precious little girls deserve so much better!

Please keep posting and sharing with us. Take care of you, okay? :ghug :ghug
Old 05-19-2009, 06:06 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

You probably took him back because, as you said, you felt obligated to keep trying because HE was (allegedly) trying. It's a common theme here - "well, he's in rehab, I can't just dump him now..." (even though he's cheated on me, spent all our money, abused me and the kids, etc etc etc)

Lighten up on yourself and let yourself look forward to the future. It'll be so much more peaceful, healthy, and happy