choosing to stay

Old 05-03-2009, 12:11 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Attended By a Single Hound

Originally Posted by ananda View Post

I am curious..has anyone here ever made the decision to stay with an alchoholic/addict significant other, especially a relationship that envolves daily contact, and found tools that allow them to live safely and sanely in that relationship?
A baseball bat and gag? lol

Um, I thought I could stay with my now ex when I got clean (he's a junky too), but realised if I wanted to stay sober that (the peeps on here were - once again- annoyingly right) I couldn't manage it.

Still, I believe it can be done. Still have faith, somehow. At the end of the day it is your choice. I can't give much advice other than...set boundaries and stick by them. Make sure the 'significant other' knows where the line is. THat way they know where they stand, the consequences of their actions where you're concerned and your stance on the whole thing. There's a big risk of being sapped dry by an addict or seeming to condone their lifestyle by sticking by them, so I'd say make yourself crystal clear and don't sell yourself short by giving empty threats.

Best of luck to you and your partner.