SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   OT-Prime tornado weather here... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/175154-ot-prime-tornado-weather-here.html)

Freedom1990 04-26-2009 11:58 AM

OT-Prime tornado weather here...

We're in a tornado watch till 7 pm along with several other Kansas counties. Severe storms are mushrooming up all over. The humidity is so thick you could cut it with a knife! If you could send some good mojo this way for no tornados, it would be appreciated! (yes, I have a basement)
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...640x480_12.jpg

prodigal 04-26-2009 12:01 PM

That's a pretty ugly cluster of cells in your area. Do the sirens go off in your area when a twister touches down X-number of miles away? I've often wondered how much notice you get, since tornadoes are rather unpredictable.

Freedom1990 04-26-2009 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by prodigal (Post 2207219)
That's a pretty ugly cluster of cells in your area. Do the sirens go off in your area when a twister touches down X-number of miles away? I've often wondered how much notice you get, since tornadoes are rather unpredictable.

Yep, our sirens go off and we have trained weather spotters all over the area keeping an eye out.

Right now we're in a pocket where we're not getting anything but extremely high winds, but it's getting darker and darker outside!

If I disappear, I shut this baby down and unplugged everything!

cmc 04-26-2009 12:39 PM

Oh, that's sounds scary...I'm sending some mojo and some mega prayers too. Please stay safe!

Impurrfect 04-26-2009 12:41 PM

(((DeVon)))

Sending hugs, prayers, and thoughts of safety your way. We've been getting similar weather and had the sirens going off last week, but I think ours is mild, compared to what you get. It's still pretty nerve-wracking.

Please be safe.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy

grateful2b 04-26-2009 12:52 PM

Holy Auntie Em!
Holding you and yours in the Light, Dev:hug:

GiveLove 04-26-2009 12:55 PM

Hold tight, DeVon! And if you see a lady flying by your window on a broomstick, that's me, my pretty ;) Sending good thoughts your way....spring can be a scary time weatherwise out here.

kittycat1164 04-26-2009 01:16 PM

It's that green color the sky gets that I'm most scared of

if you've ever been near when a tornado occurs, you know "the color" I mean. It's creepy... that shade of green... YIKES....

LucyA 04-26-2009 02:20 PM

Hope you all stay safe.
We complain over here when it rains, I'm glad we don't have extreme weather.

DesertEyes 04-26-2009 02:29 PM

You're in my prayers, DeVon, get in your basement with all your critters and wait for it to pass.

Mike (((( hugs )))))

blessed4x 04-26-2009 05:15 PM

Sending good vibes......We're in Missouri and it looks like you all are sending it our way. News here says it's gonna hit between 10pm and 1am, and it doesn't look pretty. I hate those middle of the night storms when you can't see that green color!

Thank goodness we have a specially built tornado room totally surrounded by concrete in our basement.....still, I hate dragging the crew down there when they are sleeping soundly, but you can bet I'll do it! Now STBXAH......naw, never mind, I didn't think that, LOL!

prodigal 04-26-2009 05:20 PM

DeVon, I notice you aren't online, so I assume you're getting pounded with some pretty ugly weather, and might be down in your basement with your furkids. Stay safe, be well and come back as soon as the weather calms down. Sending prayers your way for you and all your "kids."

fighttowin 04-26-2009 05:27 PM

hope you are all safe.

Freedom1990 04-26-2009 05:31 PM

In between storms right now, and I've got to get to the store before the next one hits. Tornado watch for my county has been extended to 3 am, and also in a flood watch. We got 2" dumped in a very short amount of time, with another 1-2" tonight!

No tornado here, though homes over by Lake Afton got hit, which is about 30 miles east of me!

Keep the good mojo coming! :)

Freedom1990 04-26-2009 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by kittycat1164 (Post 2207291)
if you've ever been near when a tornado occurs, you know "the color" I mean. It's creepy... that shade of green... YIKES....

Yep, I know exactly what you mean because I've seen it. *shudders*

grateful2b 04-26-2009 05:32 PM

Holy Cow, Dev ...be safe...
prayers continue...

cmc 04-26-2009 05:41 PM

Stay safe.
:c016:

serenityqueen 04-26-2009 05:53 PM

Unfortunately I can relate to tornado weather. I don't live far at all from Xenia, Ohio where one of the biggest and worst tornados hit in the spring of 1974. (An F5) We were off school that day (thank God) for something or another and I remember coming home from sneaking cigarettes from our hiding spot a few blocks from my house when the entire sky to the East turned into a wall of black/green. As long as I live, I will never forget it. We tried to drive into Xenia a few days later with my Grandparents who had canned goods, bottled water and other things to take. We couldn't get into what used to be the city, but we did see the destruction. There were National Guard set up all around to keep the curious out but we were able to pass on the supplies my Grandparents donated.

The April 3-4, 1974 SUPEROUTBREAK, produced 148 tornadoes within a 24 hour period. This is the largest number on record. During the height of activity, 15 tornadoes were on the ground simultameously. 315 persons were killed, 5484 were injured within the 13 states and Canada in which tornadoes occurred. With a total 2598 miles the tornadoes traveled.

There are several websites dedicated to this, one that even has an actual recording of the tornado hitting a house. It's very scary but if you're curious, go to Xenia Tornado It's about 3 minutes long and near the end, you can hear the tornado hit the house. Truly frightening.

Judy

guiab 04-26-2009 06:24 PM

Keep safe, Devon. As of 8:20 (central) is still looks kinda crazy.

And a kind note just for your 4-footed companions:
Woof, wwooofy, woof, bark, grr-bark, woof, woooffffy bark bark.

And prayers!! you have mine.

Bernadette 04-26-2009 07:44 PM

Hiya Freedom--
Sending good Mojo your way!!!!

People love to complain about the weather here in the NoEast but y'know the worst that we get is blizzards...and severe cold - I'll take that any day over tornadoes or floods...

Keep safe...and yer doggies too, do they get riled when the intense weather is threatening?
peace,
b