What it's like to live with an alcoholic.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:09 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Ago

Originally Posted by angelcake View Post
sometimes people can over analize things, and be quite judgemental without realising it. If you want some peace in your life its better to forgive and move on
I don't think anyone here was judgmental, I think they were responding to what you posted

here is what you posted:

Life with an alcoholic partner sucks

.Anyone who wants to know weather or not they should carry on dating that person with a (or maybe a ) drink problem needs to get as far away from that person as they can.

he used to beat me

i feel desperate for a bit of attention ,love anything

My partner is 41 and yet i feel like his mother

i do everything deal with the money, house ,kids on my own

he says he is trying to stay sober another day

It feels like constant emotional blackmail and it always comes back to that same old thing DRINK

.They will lie to you on a regular basis

make really bad decisions

cheat on you

spend all your money when theve spent theirs

lose their jobs ,

get in debt ,

get arrested,

not come home,

get deppresion,

embarrass you in front of your family,

they will even lose control of they bodily functions

yes i mean i have been weeed on several times

they stop washing and keeping themselves clean

you can forget about sex i may as well join a convent , that goes out of the window too , not that you feel like it anyway half the time its hard to fancy someone after all this!

Its the love i miss and the security and just having someone there to make you smile

there are no laughs when you live with an alcoholic just an emptyness and hurt and guilt because at the end of it you know that they have a disease and that no matter what you do or anyone else does they will never be cured from it.
You write "everyone's circumstances are different"

The circumstances you listed here are fairly common on this board, you aren't alone. Have you read the stickies at the top of the forum?

i choose to stay because i love him.
What exactly do you love about this?

Are there any resources you can reach out to? Alanon? centers for battered women? Therapy?

You are worth so much more then this, and so are your children.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:29 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

sometimes people can over analize things, and be quite judgemental without realising it. If you want some peace in your life its better to forgive and move on
I forgave the A quite quickly.. forgiving myself took longer. The forgiveness that allows you serenity and the ability to move on is the latter. I agree with the sentiment though.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:03 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

No offence meant but we often say "....but I love him," to justify all sorts of unacceptable behaviour. Love is not an excuse to subject yourself to less than you and your children deserve. You deserve the best life has to offer and this doesn't sound like that.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:47 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
I grew my wings to fly...

Run like the wind.

i just want people to understand that once youve been in a relationship for a long time its really hard to end it just like that .
Hi Angelcake, how well I understand, as so many of us do. I thought that for 20+ years and stayed, and stayed, and one day ran like the wind, right smack dab into the arms of yet another alcoholic. The AXH was an abuser on top of his drinking, and yes, after 15 years he just stopped drinking, but the abuse didn't stop. The ABF was kinder, more gentle, but still... an alcoholic, it all feels the same nice guy or not. This time, I have been single 9 months, and have worked on ME, and detached (for the most part) with love. SR is the BEST place for you (and me) to be.

God Bless. Good luck.