Anyone else worry about their health?

Old 04-06-2009, 09:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone else worry about their health?

Hi everyone,

In the past year or so, I've started to take on worries about my health. They come and go, but when they're present, they're debilitating. I can hardly focus on anything else, because I keep thinking "What if?" E.g. "If I stop worrying about this, maybe it's actually real, and it'll get worse, and I'll have made a mistake."

Can anyone else relate to this? If so, can you recommend some way to deal with this? I don't want to worry anymore :\

Thanks so much!
Old 04-06-2009, 09:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Being Silent so I can Hear

Yes, absolutely. On top of getting a checkup, I'd say the best thing I did was get counseling, it probably saved my life.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anvilhead View Post
um, go to the doctor and get a full checkup? that's where i'd start with health concerns.
Yeah, I had a full physical last year and nothing was turned up. I could go in again with my specific concerns, I suppose.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

We're not doctors obviously, nor psychologists (though we play them on TV ) BUT, what worked for me was:

--Talking to my doc about specific concerns, to absolutely rule out something tangible
--Talking to a counselor about anxiety-related issues, and most of all
--Learning relaxation techniques, so that any irrational fears can be controlled

And of course I use the usual sanity-preservation tactics:
A B-vitamin supplement (B's are the ones that help you deal with anxiety and stress)
30-60 minutes of some kind of physical activity, like walking, every day
15 minutes of direct sunlight
Journaling to help keep my feelings heard
Avoiding eating cr@p as much as possible (things high in sodium, processed, fat, and caffeine will mess with your head something fierce...when I feel anxious, I first look to what I've ingested over the past 24 hours)

I don't ignore my body, ever. It is the beast that bears me on my journey.
Good luck, bragi - don't neglect the doctor thing, 'kay?
Old 04-06-2009, 10:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Addressing those specific concerns is a good way to start feeling better. You'll be proactive regarding your health, which is always a good thing. Try googling some of symptoms and see what fits. Then talk with your doc about them.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Worry is an old coping mechanism that doesn't serve me well anymore.

Old habits die hard, but it is possible to overcome them.

I've had more than my share of health issues over the past few years.

When I have concerns, I make a doctor's appointment, and discuss those concerns with my doctor.

Taking positive action, rather than staying stuck in my head with the 'what ifs' is a much better strategy.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Alright alright; you've all convinced me to start with my GP I made an appt for Wednesday.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bragi View Post
Alright alright; you've all convinced me to start with my GP I made an appt for Wednesday.
Good for you!
Old 04-06-2009, 12:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Being Silent so I can Hear

You mean.....I have to give up my Dr Peppers???

Say it ain't so!

Good for you bragi, and don't feel shy about asking your GP for a referral to a good counselor also.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well, I can relate to your problem: a few years after my marriage, I started being a hyprochondriac. I would worry endlessly about having various cancers and not only that but I was also physically developping symptoms. I think that it was all part of my general anxiety of living with an A, as well as realising that if something was to happen to me, my children would be left with no responsible adults.
Interestingly, I have been a lot better since I left AH. No more wierd symptoms, no more debilitating fears that something is seriously wrong with me....
To this day, I am not completely sure what happened to me all these years. All I know is that I am a whole lot better now that I don't have to live daily with the madness and stress that come with alcoholism and drugs....
Old 04-06-2009, 07:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
gns

Hi Bragi,

I just posted something along similar lines.

It sounds like it is more an anxiety thing then actual physical symptoms? I agree with other posters that a check up would be a good idea to put your mind at rest and make sure there is nothing going on. On the anxiety side.....

I will say for me anxiety took lots of different, and sometimes real and physical forms, and "grounding things" really helped. IC, yoga, exercize (something physical).
Old 04-14-2009, 09:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

After talking with my doctor, I started taking some medicine for my anxiety. For as long as I can remember, I've had pretty powerful anxiety, so I'm excited about the possibility of relief.

I've avoided medication for a long time, but I've tried all sorts of things (CBT, meditation, herbal supplements; you name it), and learned a lot about my past, with no relief. Maybe it's at least partly physical?

Anyway, I've had two doctors pretty much tell me that all my health worries are in my head, and I'm tired of being so anxious (and the toll it must be taking on my health), so I'm optimistic about this new course