Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

Hey, I'm new, looking for people who have grown up with an alcoholic mother..?

Old 04-01-2009, 12:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
lex

Hi, I'm Lex, I'm 19, my mother has been an alcoholic for as long as I can remember.
I don't know what sorts of things you are supposed to write in these forums, or how much I should reveal but I figure talking to people who have been through similar experiences will help me.
So, if anyone can relate, I'd love to hear your stories, how you coped etc.
Thanks in advance,
Lex
Old 04-01-2009, 12:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi there. Both my parent were alcoholics. What I did was move out as soon as I could (at 18) and left them to their alcoholism since neither admitted to being alcoholic and neither was interested in changing.

I only moved 2 houses down the road to my grandmother's house but it was enough distance to protect me from most of my parents madness and drama.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Welcome Lex!
It is great to have you here.
I also grew up with an alcoholic mother.
She quit drinking when I was 21 (after I moved out) but never spoke about it.
I turned into my mother
I am an alcoholic.
I have been sober now for 11 months and I work a diligent recovery program.
One of the biggest issues I have as an ACA (adult child of alcoholic) is the secrets. So today I am honest and vocal about my experience, as I try to work through all my issues.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I did. I took care of my mother during my adolescence and didn't know how to cope with it so instead I acted out and got into a lot of trouble. I actually didn't get help for this until my early twenties when I wanted to make sure I never caused my children the grief that I had experienced.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Lex! Wow! Good for you for finding this site! I had no idea where to turn when I was 19, trying to figure life out after 18 years living with an alcoholic mom!

I didn't even know, yet, how weird my situation was! Are you able to share anymore? Do you live with mom?

There were four of us kids... My brother was four years older than me. I had two younger sibs, sis 8 years younger and bro 9 years younger. My oldest brother prob took care of me quite a bit until high school, then he learned to get out... involved in sports, etc. I became caretaker of my younger sibs and my mom.

My mom, bless her... Alternated between lots of fun... good listener... and GONE. Sometimes for a week. Sometimes we had food and sometimes we had mayonaise and flour She slept a lot and we had to be quiet or she would wake up INSANE. I still tiptoe through my very own house! Lots of strange guys in and out. Some were safe, some were not safe. All of my siblings and I have had our boundaries crossed in one way or another by her "friends." If we tried to tell her they weren't safe she would either ignore us or tell us how selfish we were... "such and such" is having a very hard time right now, you have no idea, and all you are thinking about is yourself. My friends thought my mom was very cool. They weren't there for the really bad times. We weren't allowed to have friends over during the really bad times. If a friend DID come over unannounced... we were in bad doo-doo. Weren't allowed to answer the phone or the door some/most of the time. Especially if it was grandma or auntie. Worried about us, no doubt. She went from crisis to crisis and I always felt sorry for her. I thought she really did have things worse than other people... she wouldn't drink if she had things easier. Raising us alone must be so hard for her... no wonder she drinks. Bleh.

I had to be much older to realize, everyone has difficulties and a lot of people stay sober through them. Healthy people don't need and would never expect their children to take care of them, forgive them over and over and over, cover for them, give them money, do without new shoes or clothes once in a while.

We have quite a family story of our way out of all this madness. And each of us children has stories of when we finally woke up... how growing up in this environment affected our friendships, relationships, choices and how we have been working on getting healthy. And we are getting healthy! There is HOPE! Woo Hoo! And HELP! Like these forums, Alateen, counselors, etc.

May I ask how YOU are doing?

~Jaime
Old 04-01-2009, 04:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
lex

Thankyou so much guys, I'm amazed at how people take the time to help others out. Your stories are honest, heartfelt and inspirational.

I don't feel sorry for myself in any way for my childhood- people have gone through worse, as you guys have demonstrated. But it does get to you, and I really don't want my experiences of alcoholism to tarnish my future in any way.

I have heard that children of alcoholics can become alcoholics themselves, such as yourself TTOSBT, and this scares me. Not for myself, (although how could I ever really predict what will become of me?), but mostly for my siblings. Like Jaimemk I too come from a family of four children, although I am the oldest.

My earliest childhood memory is sitting, crying for my mother when I was a toddler. My dad used to work nights. He has always maintained that my mum had a drinking problem when they met, but nothing to the extent of what she became. That night she had left me to go to the shops, I don't know whether for alcohol or what, but that minor thing has stayed with me.

As I grew older my mum steadily became worse. My dad was still working nights, and most nights my mum would drink until she passed out. I must have been only about 7, and came to look after my younger sister a lot. The days were fine, my mum would start drinking when my dad was gone: though he would return home to my passed out mother a lot, but I think he tried to turn a blind eye- he had to provide for us after all.

I never felt safe at night. I would sit up til the early hours on the stairs, keeping an eye on my mother, comforting my sister, waiting for my father to come home, just to feel safe enough to sleep. I now wonder how I got through my early years of schooling so well. Once my sister had a breathing attack: my mum was passed out, we were both incredibly scared. She also had terrible nightmares, but I refused to ever get anyone for help- I didn't want the outside world to think badly of my mother in any way. And I never told my father- every child wants their parents to stay together, no matter what.

In every other way my mother is fantastic- her guilt for drinking means she is a brilliant mother now, when sober. But she will never stop. Alcoholism has wrecked my family. My parents argue almost every minute, even getting violent with each other. My dad refuses to leave, he stayed for us and he won't leave without us. In a way, I think they need each other still.

My mother tried AA meetings (she met another man, whom she quietly told me and my sister, being no older than 13, she was leaving us and our father for, like it was an everyday thing), she tried the tablets, the counselling, the lot. She tried to commit suicide (we found her in time), she went on healing quests, life changing exhibitions etc etc, to 'find herself' but nothing worked. She piles the blame on my father, on the kids arguing, on the house. I know it is a disease, but my mother makes this her excuse, like it is an incurable disease, when you are proof that it is not such.

She will drink at the most important times of my life: the night before I go to Uni, the rare times I come home. I love Uni a lot, it helps me to forget homelife- but I am endlessly on edge, fretful for my siblings, I am not there to protect them from violent outbursts from my mother or father, spiteful drunken behaviour and so on. Sometimes I will get a call from my sister begging me to come home, to break up an argument or because Mum has gone etc- it is heartbreaking.

It is a vicious circle: we have all lost all respect for her, even my young young brother has seen things an adult would not want to see. I have given up on ever having the relationship with my mother I dream of: I don't trust her, she forever lets me down, she has caused too much pain for our family. If I had a single wish it would be her to stop drinking, to start making steps towards her children, to make it better.

Alcoholism is life destroying. I know I have let it affect my relationships already: I can become violently angry, especially with boyfriends; I always set myself up for a fall; I have learnt to treat men in a nasty manner, like my mum to my dad; I feel a failure if I can't handle something myself, or if I cry.

I think talking about my experiences and sharing them with others will help me. I don't either want to be affected into adulthood, or with my parenting. Your comments are welcomed, thankyou for your help.

Lex
Old 04-01-2009, 05:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Lex-
I grew up with an alcoholic father - and sadly 3 of my bros are alcoholics in varying stages from active to attempting recovery to traded-alcohol-for-pot.

What helped turn my head around the most was in my twenties I finally found AlAnon. I used the old adage take what you can use and leave the rest and took every ounce of goodness from what that proghram offered me and I began to heal and change and grow and see that I could leave all the shame, bitterness, rage, lying, fear behind me!

Also some sessions of one-on-one therapy over the years have helped me alot to work towards becoming the woman I want to be and not the "default child of an alcoholic upbringing" I was becoming.

Glad you found this place -- lots of ES&H here!
peace,
b
Old 04-01-2009, 05:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Being Silent so I can Hear

Welcome Lex My parents weren't alcoholics, but I sure do worry that some of the nightmares you have my daughter will also, from living with an active alcoholic, and the nutty me while dealing with him.

It makes me sad and scared to think of that.

Sending prayers your way.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you, Lex. I was hoping you would be able to share more. You are so much farther ahead in all of this than I was at your age. It's going to take some work but you are gonna get there! Ok, don't know if you want to hear this right now. But lately, since I've had quite a bit of counseling, quite a few Alanon meetings, read tons, done a lot of work and healed in some deep areas...

I see some good things in me as a result of the things I have walked through...

I'm not scared of a challenge
Can't shock me, so it makes me easy to talk to
I see through crap pretty easily
I know how hard life can be, so I know how GOOD life can be
From working steps in Alanon, I can look at myself honestly (most of the time) I'm not scared of seeing my crap (we all have it, we can all work on it)
I'm pretty approachable

I understand what you are saying, that many have been through more. But... maybe for a season, you could really face that you have been through more than you should have been. I always said that when I was young. I don't have it so bad... could be worse! Look at such-and-such's home life. It was a way to hide from the pain I was in. It was a way to not have to admit that my mom was really blowing it. Now that I have kids, the oldest 16, I shudder to think of them experiencing the things I did. It's been a real eye-opener. Doesn't seem so bad until I think of one of them going through it. Or my siblings. I didn't get angry when it was me. I got very angry when it was them. Well, you have the same value they do. You are someone's little girl, though you haven't been protected the way you should have been. I hope you are sad for that little girl.

Yes! The important times! Weddings were my moms worst, so look out for that one someday and make sure you don't trust her with too many details. Sorry, but I had to warn my siblings about that and they took it to heart... their weddings went better than mine and my older brother's did and they weren't dismayed when she did what she does.

I know it's so hard, but I hope you are able to really focus on University. Every time I was called to come home, I did, for way too long. I hope you don't make that mistake. If you are able to start going to Alanon and do some reading (Codependent No More and The Language of Letting Go-Melody Beattie, etc) not only will you have some good tools, but you will be able to share them with your siblings. You can teach them as you learn. I did. And continue to do so for my youngest brother. Running home every time there was a crisis never really helped the bigger problem and pretty much short-circuited my life. You deserve to have a life! Your sibs will learn, as well. I know that's easier said than done. If you keep running to the rescue, you will teach them to do the same. Time for you all to have better tools.

Alcoholism is very painful for everyone involved but Lex, it doesn't have to be life destroying. You are proof of that. Your intelligence, resourcefulness, willingness to reach out for help. You do have a challenge ahead of you, to learn, really be able to look at yourself, have a sense of humor with yourself, grow, do it differently.

No, I don't have a mom in the traditional sense. But as I learned to "detach" (learn about that word in alanon and those books and here) and let my mom just be who she is... I forged a new relationship with her. I can actually enjoy the good parts about her and protect myself from the disease itself. I don't lose sleep anymore over it. I don't let myself even begin to believe the things she says to me when she is raging.

And the amazing, wonderful thing I didn't expect... (God) (My Higher Power) (The Universe) has brought some beautiful, motherly women into my life who are truly a gift to me. When my grieving subsided, I was able to notice that. Now I see them for the blessings they are and take full advantage In an emotional, wisdom-seeking, cookie eating, late night talks, kind of way lol!

We are here for you! Thank you for being here!

Old 04-02-2009, 01:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Glad you came to SR. There is a lot of love and wisdom here.

I didn't see in your posts (and if it is there I missed it - sorry) whether or not you have considered going to Alateen. They are meetings for teenagers who have a family member or friend who is an alcoholic. Everything is confidential and no one will laugh or make fun of you there because they have all been through it. Nobody will talk about what you say at meetings - heck, the first Al-Anon meeting I ever went to, I walked in and there was my high school Spanish teacher (whom I adored). I almost passed out! And my XAH sponsor turned out to be a guy from my hometown, which has about 750 people in it, so I was terrified someone would find out what was going on. Never heard a peep from anyone.

It sounds like you have a lot of responsibilities on your shoulders at a young age, and for that I am sorry. You have probably seen and heard things someone your age should not have, and so have your brothers and sisters. If you can get into Alateen, Alanon or counseling, not only will you make yourself healthier, but you can pass on your strength to your siblings and help them too. I am assuming "Uni" mean "university" on this side of the pond so I bet your college health department can give you some info on meetings and such.

But at least you are recognizing at a young age that you have issues and you are working to solve them. That is really going to work to your advantage. You seem very self aware and that is wonderful. Awareness isn't always pleasant, but you are far ahead of where a lot of us were at 19!

Best of luck and I will be thinking of you today.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Lex,

My mom is an alcoholic. I didn't notice she had a problem until high school (I'm 29), after she divorced my step-dad (he was a nasty alcholic).

When you mentioned that you worry about you or your siblings becoming alcoholics, I felt relieved because I somehow wondered if I was the only person that ever worried about that. My grandmother was a terrible alcoholic, my uncle (my mom's brother), my grandpa (mom's dad), and now my mom. The buck stops with me. It's almost as if I go to extremes to ensure that I don't become "that" person. It's always in the back of my mind and always will be because I know how much destruction the disease brings with it. So, you are not alone in that thought.

The one and only regret that I have is that I stayed with my mom after high school instead of going away to college. I thought I needed to take care of her because I knew she couldn't do it for herself. I stayed until I was 21 and by then I had had enough. After I moved out, she got worse. Moving out was the best possible solution for me and it's been the best decision I've ever made because I've learned so much through reading, Al-anon and SR. I finally discovered that a home could be peaceful and place for refuge and not termoil, terror and sadness.

I too have given up on the relationship that I wish I could have with her. Someone that loves me unconditionally. Someone that can hold me and tell ME that everything will be okay. Someone that I can respect. I know that will never happen so in a way, I'm grieving for the mom I never had and will never get.

I'm proud of you for coming here. I'm proud of you for getting out and taking care of yourself. You've stopped the cycle in your life and from here on out, it can get better. I promise. Keep your head high and know that this place (SR) is wonderful. Reach out to a school counselor or a support group such as Al-Anon or SR. It will do so many great things for you. This is just the beginning. Keep writing and we'll keep listening.

Take care of you!
Old 04-02-2009, 08:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Lex,
It's wonderful to see you reaching out and trying to figure what you need to be healthy when you have an alcoholic mom. I am 47 years old and have children your age. I can't talk about drinking with my teens without being weirded out by my life experiences. I hate that I dislike Christmas and other holidays because so many have been ruined by my mother's drinking. I hate that I could never have her babysit my children. When they were small, they would sometimes ask, and I always had to come up with an excuse. I did not want to burden with my adult problems. I have asked them to respect alcohol because of our history and the genetic component related to alcoholism. Three of my four grandparents were alcoholic.
My brother was also deeply affected by my mother's drinking and my father's blind eye to the whole situation. I became a mentor to my brother as he grew up, since he was 10 years younger than me. As a result we are very close. We often laugh, at the ridiculous situations that we have lived through. Once we had to take my drunk mother to emergency since she had fallen and needed stitches. She always denies she has drank anything. She immediately told us that she didn't drink, it was the doctor that was drinking.
So I say to you, ,sometimes you have to laugh because you get tired of crying. Try to find those who you be talk to, be it Alanon or a counsellor.
I am so much more an independent woman since, early on, I learned to take care of myself. I learned to cook, I went to university, I got a great job and I have a fantastic husband and children. I have low tolerance for bull%%%t since I have had to did with it for so long. I hate that my mom still drinks, but I have detached myself from it. Be strong and learn from the challenges.

"You don't need a good memory if you always tell the truth."
Old 04-03-2009, 07:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Lex-
My mom was an alcoholic too (she died last year--hence the was). As soon as I heard the clink of the ice cubes in the glass right around 5:00 p.m. (because she did not think it was right to drink before 5:00--HUH?) I knew the scotch was coming out of the cupboard and to hole up for the night and stay far away. She was not a warm and fuzzy drunk. My Dad traveled and was gone all week and would come home on Fridays. There was also physcial abuse between my mom and dad (both ways). Nice thing for a kid to watch.
I was fortunate because around 12 years old I had a friend and her parents knew about my mom's alcoholism (somehow) and they made sure I was not home on weekends. They took me on vacations with them. Once, I called my friend during the middle of the week because my mom was on the rampage and her mom came to the door, ignored my mom and took me to their house. I was lucky to have them and always considered them Mom and Dad. They taught me normal--but being around my mom the rest of the time turned me into the codie I am today. My first husband was a drunk and although he did not abuse me physically he abused me mentally. My current husband is an alcoholic and is addicted to marijuana. I had to laugh when I started the badgering about get treatment or I am out. He went to a counselor from the church and he told him he had "impulse control problems" and was not an alcoholic. He also told him his impulse control issues were due to peer pressure! He was 38 years old--give me a break peer pressure.
OK, got off track. Anyway, it took 5 years of individual therapy to start to heal from the damage my mom caused. She was also very abusive to me--although was not abusive to my 2 sisters (who left by the time she was in full swing) and my brother. It took a therapist who deals with abuse letting me know that abusers often will just pick one child to abuse for me to understand why she singled me out.
My older sister also went to therapy. I would say we are both fairly healthy. I think I will get healthier once I get myself to AlAnon. My brother is an alcoholic. My other sister is not an alcoholic but has all the codie behaviors that are unresolved. She has been married to man she despises for 20 years because she keeps thinking she can change him or has just decided it is easier to just ignore it.
When my mom died last year my older sister and I cried very hard. When we talked later we discovered that what we were really doing is releasing all the pain she had caused us over the years. She was gone and could not do any more damage. But we were also crying because we never really had a mother and it hurt to know we never would. Here we are grown adults wishing we had a mommy. Weird , huh?
Old 04-03-2009, 08:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

Count me in too. My dad died when I was 13. Mom started drinking heavily. She always "drank", but she became the hateful rage filled a$$hole. I quit school and lived with whomever would take me in by the time I was 16. what a horrible life.

She quit drinking when I was about 27. We never had a good relationship and still don't.
I stayed away from her for nearly 20 years. I moved far far away.
The older I got, the more I wanted to be near her. But it's been very strange. She's paranoid as heck. Always afraid, always trying to dump guilt trips on me for not taking care of my poor old mother. She's 76 now.

It's heartbreaking really. All I ever wanted was a mom, even at my age of 53.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have -- and still am (I'm 16). Although, she's recovering well. I guess so far, I'm not all that far along in the coping and stories and what not.. Sorry I can't be much more of help, but I'm glad (not really the right word, I know) to see another kid near my age with the same stuff going on..
Old 04-05-2009, 03:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
AKA 'grewupinabarn'

My mother was an alcoholic. In contrast to my AF, she was very a very quiet lonely drinker. She died in a car accident when I was 18 (probably blacked out due to poor health from the drinking). For months after her death we found empty bottles of liquor hidden around the house. I can say that I did not really know her, although she loved us. She was a very troubled woman and I know she is at peace now

I hope you can talk to a counselor at your school, or attend alanon or alateen meetings. Sharing here is great but it also really helps to have f2f with others.
Remember the three C's - we didn't Cause it, we can't Control it, we can't Cure it. Take this message to heart and to your siblings and focus on yourselves.
You mother knows you care for her, but the decision to stop is hers alone.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:27 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey Lex!

I'm new, too, but in a very similar place in life to you, so I thought I'd introduce myself. Both of my parents are alcoholics, and I'm 21 and in college, as well, and also just starting to figure out things out a little bit. I don't know what your living space at your university is like, but having my own space (a tiny little single room) has made a huge difference to me: from being able to lock the door if I need to be alone or cry and knowing that I have control over that to being able to write notes to myself and leave them around for myself (by my phone: you are allowed to decide when this conservation is over). Of course, I've found therapy to be really helpful, too. I'm planning on going to my first Al-Anon meeting tomorrow, so I can't really give you advice about that, but maybe it's something to try. I think you're awesome for doing this work.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Sunny Side Up

Hello Lex
What a charming, wonderful, capable, intelligent young person you are. Be proud of yourself honey, as I sure would be absolutely over the moon to have a child just like you.
JJ
Old 04-06-2009, 05:11 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I was one of 4 kids too, me the second oldest.

The only one to be physically, verbally and
emotionally abused.

My mom was a Dr. Jeckel/ Mr. Hyde personality.

An Attractive lady who worked behind the
cosmetic counter and who'd a thought
she drank and took prescription drugs
and was a ticking time bomb, exploding
when least expected.

Man i would have given anything to have
had the technolgy thats available today
back then....What was a computer....
what was AA.

My mom put fear in me from the day i
was born.....i was so full of fear that i
dared not tell anyone what she did to