Yellowish

Old 03-28-2009, 07:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Yellowish

I noticed a slight yellow hue to my AH's legs last night. Could it be a manifestation of liver damage? It was just his legs.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If you are concerned, ask him to make an appointment with a doctor.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

jaundice is caused by increased bilirubin circulating in the body and should not spare other regions other than the legs. the white of the eys is a decent place to check for yellowing
Old 03-29-2009, 05:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree on the eyes. Here is a good link but it is time to go to the Dr.

Jaundice - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 03-30-2009, 12:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
up and out

There are also some medications that are hard on the liver. So if he is drinking and possibly taking medication that would be taxing on the liver, he should have his doctor run tests to check liver function.

This would include prescription meds, OTC and vitamins & supplements. Just something that tends to get overlooked.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My brother was yellow all over when he died, our doctor said once you get as far as he did there's not much hope, he said the yellow colour was caused by jaundice/hepatitis and should have been cleared by steroids, but my bro was unfortunately too far gone for his body to respond.

It may be the case that your AH won't listen to what you tell him, or ask him, but maybe you could suggest he sees a doctor, just to check it out. My brother did have a warning around September last year, he was yellow, his eyes were yellow and he wasn't feeling well at all, the doctors said it was his chance to turn things around. I don't mean to alarm you unduly, but I'm not going to beat about the bush or ignore your thread either,that's the way it was with my brother, I hope it can be different with your husband.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My AH developed yellow around his eyes, first in the whites of his eyes and then the skin around his eyes. This yellow coloring later moved to his neck and his overall coloring looked pale, grayish also.

His jaundice appeared a few weeks after he started taking the antidepressant Cymbalta. As soon as the yellow appeared he stopped taking this new med as quickly as possible. The lab work indicated liver problems for the first time, even though he had a number of extensive medical tests a few months earlier that did not show a problem. Our Doctor notified the pharmaceutical rep for Cymbalta of this and it went into their files.

Within about 2 months after he stopped taking the antidepressant, the yellow had almost entirely disappeared, his lab work significantly improved, ... even though he was still drinking and taking a number of other medications. However, his lab work never did return to normal and he later developed serious liver disease. Within months of this happening, the Cymbalta advertising for this antidepressant significantly increased their warning about taking with alcohol consumption.