The Monkey Dance

Old 08-15-2003, 07:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Monkey Dance

My daughter and her family are getting ready to move about 600 miles away from me. It should be a great opportunity for them, but I admit to feeling very sad about the whole thing. I will really miss my 2 year old grand daughter. We are very close.

I had a wonderful day with her yesterday. I babysat her at my house for the earlier part of the day while her folks were at home moving the bigger stuff into the uhaul. We played, drew, danced and watched cartoons. One of the cartoons we watched featured a lost baby bird that a young girl and a little monkey were trying to help find it's way home. The baby bird was crying because it was lost, so the monkey did "the monkey dance" to cheer it up. Sure enough, the little bird stopped crying and started giggling when it watched the monkey dance. I didn't think much about it, other than it was a cute cartoon.

Later in the day, my grand daughter mentioned that she would be going far away. I started crying and telling her how much I was going to miss her. When she saw my tears, she immediately started doing the monkey dance! It worked! We both giggled and I gave her a huge hug.

I shall have to try to remember to do this dance for her and her folks when the uhaul pulls away from here in about an hour or so!
Old 08-15-2003, 08:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Learning to love life...

Alongtime,
That is so sweet... kids are the best therapy sometimes

I can only imagine how hard it will be, being so far away from your daughter and grand daughter - my thoughts are with you. Perhaps "granny" will have to buy a Winnebego (sp?) and travel to see them :p

The thought of the monkey dance will be in my head for days - thanks

Take care
Meg
Old 08-15-2003, 08:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
believer

(((((((Alongtimegone))))))))

What a precious story! That's definitely one to always remember and I'm glad you shared it with us. I know you'll miss your granddaughter, but I'm sure you have many wonderful memories. Hmmm, sounds like it's time for grandma to get a webcam!

Hugs,
JG
Old 08-15-2003, 10:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Ahhh - what a precious little girl - and so lucky to have a grandma like you.

It isn't really so very far, and think of how special your visits will be.

Thank you for sharing this very special story.

Hugs
Ann