Sober since Aug.1st!

Old 08-14-2003, 07:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Sober since Aug.1st!

My H has been sober since the 1st. It has been wonderful, I can't even explain my feelings. But, of course I am still scared and leary about it. He is doing it on his own without AA. Sometimes I want to thank him or congradulate him or just tell him how awesome it is. But, then I worry that maybe I just shouldn't say anything at all. It is very hard to talk with him about it. If he brings it up its fine. But, I just don't. How do you encourage or celebrate when a month comes around. or 2 or 3. Do you just let them do it all on their own or do you acknowledge it? Just wondering if anyone had some ideas. I have told him when he first made up his mind that I was so proud of him. I should just keep it at that?
Thanks Snoopy
Old 08-14-2003, 08:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Snoopy

Nothing wrong with some loving encouragement and telling him how proud you are of him. Just leave the rest up to him to find his own way. There are many who find sobriety and keep it even without a program, so hopefully he will be one of those lucky people.

Just keep working on your own recovery, which will help you stay balanced and healthy, regardless of how he is doing.

I am very happy for both of you and send hugs and prayers.

Hugs
Ann
Old 08-14-2003, 11:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have to second Ann.....keep working on your on recovery, it helps keep out that "scared" feeling that wants to creep back in. My husband has been sober this summer since May with the exception of 1 backslide.....I can relate to how your are feeling. He isn't in a program either.

My husband has brought it up several times and I have taken that opportunity to tell him how I feel about things now like how close we are, that this is what I had hoped for for years.....I even asked him if he missed it and was it hard. Other than that.....I don't bring it up. I keep working my program....and to my surprise he has started asking about al-anon. If I do it because of him or my dad (he is an alcoholic too)....I told him that I did it because alcohol was ruining my life and it was for ME! I tried to explain how it works and he seemed truely interested and agreed that I needed to "work" on not trying to "control" EVERYTHING!

I hope that your life stays as wonderful as it is now......mine it GREAT (today) and all we can do is live one day at a time.....enjoy every minute....keep praying......keep working our on program!

Blessings, Constant
Old 08-14-2003, 01:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Snoopy,
I tell my H often that I am proud of his sobriety. I tell him how healthy he looks, how his eyes are vibrant and he’s gained weight and he just looks happy. When he passed his 3 month mark he put the recovery coin in my purse and said he would like me to have it. That meant a lot to me, more than anything else he’s ever given me in fact. There’s nothing wrong with loving and healthy support and encouragement, and Ann is right, leave the rest up to him.
How cool that he’s staying sober on his own too…I too have met several people who have done it by themselves and have been in recovery for a long time now.
Best wishes,