new and need some advice about alcoholic BF

Old 02-28-2009, 07:43 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

milena-

i totally relate. my ABF can go on forever about himself. the moment i share a story about my life, he's bored.

the reality is that they are energy vampires, they will suck our attention and energy endlessly if we permit it. it's all about them.

so, if they are depressed, it's about their problems. if they are high, it's about how great they are. the moment we need some support, they check out.

i'm glad you got wise so early in the relationship...

marie
Old 03-01-2009, 11:10 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

It has been immensely helpful for me to have everyone's support here, and to simply take a couple of days away from him with no contact and just focus on me. He has been calling but I have not answereed and I have just deleted his voicemails without listening! I also went back and wrote all I could recall from our relationship in a journal yesterday (thank you for the suggestion to do so)-- that was an EYE OPENER! He really has been pretty selfish during the entire relationship, even at the very start in different subtle ways when he was clearly trying to put his best foot forward, I just did not really see it clearly. *sigh*

I am going home today, and have decided to simply end all contact with him so as to avoid getting sucked in by his lies and manipulation. My friends have suggested that when I feel like talking to him, immediately stop and then use that time to plan or do something for myself instead of calling him, or to just call one of them instead. I love that plan and am going to try to stick to it!! Hopefully if he gets no response from me for long enough, he will get bored and stop calling?

I hope all of you will protect yourselves and put your happiness first-- we all deserve to be happy and to be be treated with love and respect from our chosen partners!!

Thank you again for all the support.