I received some bad news today

Old 02-25-2009, 11:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I received some bad news today

My ex-husband's youngest brother died yesterday. He was 45 years old. He was a raging alcoholic. He lost his wife, his job and his home due to his alcoholism and had been living with his mother. I don't know the exact cause of death, but I can venture to guess that it was alcohol related.

When we were kids I used to have the biggest crush on him. He was one year younger than me. We used to laugh that I grew up and married his older brother. He gave me my very first exposure to what it's like living with an alcoholic in the family. I remember the middle of the night phone calls from his mother who was screaming at my (ex)husband because his brother came home drunk again. I remember his brothers bailing him out of yet another alcohol related car wreck. I remember the Christmas he ruined because he threatened to commit suicide and ended up in the hospital. My ex and I got into several fights because of their enabling behavior. They were very good at covering for BIL and his behavior.

What a shame. What a waste.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

So sad......and, yes, a terrible waste.

freya
Old 02-25-2009, 01:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

So sorry SJLady.
((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))
b.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am so so sorry. :ghug
Old 02-25-2009, 03:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sunny Side Up

It was similar for me. I went out with my ex's brother a couple of times before we got married. His brother is a cronic alcoholic too. Lost 2 wives and I cant believe he is the man I knew 30yrs ago. I cant recognize him.
Unfortunately my sister will probably end up like your brother in law. It is such a terrible thing to watch - someone slowly killing their soul & body. The way they punish & hurt themselves.

hugs JJ