Really good meeting tonight!!

Old 02-21-2009, 08:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Really good meeting tonight!!

I went to my first "dual" meeting tonight for AA and Al-Anon. I was surprised that it was totally packed with people, could barely find a seat. They had two speakers, one for AA and one for Al-Anon, but each one related well to the other.

I remember you guys here telling me in my search for a sponsor that someone who spoke would pop out at me as someone I related to and wanted what they have, and that happened for me tonight. A lady in front of me shared and really stood out for me. Then later it turned out she was there to celebrate her 24th year of sobriety and got a special chip and everything.

Anyway, I approached her after the meeting and told her how I felt when she spoke, and she was extremely nice and welcoming and spent some time talking to me and even gave me her phone number, so I am going to call her. I was thinking of asking her to sponsor me, but I'm nervous about it because she's probably in high demand and I just met her. Not sure how to proceed on that one. Maybe if she won't do it, she will know somebody.

So that was worth the meeting in itself. I really like the dual meetings. In fact, at the end I picked up my first chip, and everyone clapped and congratulated me afterwards. Very cool experience.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Way to go! Sounds like you are moving forward in the program.

I have never heard of dual mtgs. What city are you in?
Old 02-21-2009, 08:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad to hear you enjoyed the meeting! The best way I know to get a sponsor is to come right out and ask someone if they would be willing to sponsor me!

:ghug :ghug :ghug
Old 02-21-2009, 10:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Awesome.
:-)
b
Old 02-22-2009, 03:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

SS, I live in West Palm Beach. I had never heard of those types of meetings either until one of the women in an Al-Anon meeting told me about it. She said it's not promoted by either AA or Al-Anon because neither one claims it, but the room was totally packed.

I will call the lady I met on Monday (my phone is off right now--apparently they don't like it when you don't pay them--LOL) and ask her about sponsorship. If she already is sponsoring somebody, do people sponsor more than one person at a time?

Thanks for the support, as always.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Glenna, most people I know sponsor more than one person. I have 4 ladies I sponsor.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Spiritual Seeker View Post
...I have never heard of dual mtgs. What city are you in?
They have them in Los Angeles too, I love them. There's also something called a "Couples Group", which is for couples to discuss how the 12 step programs are helping their relationship. We'd get couples that were AA-AA, AlAnon-AlAnon, OA-CA, and all kinds of combinations.

Glenna, congratulations on finding that meeting, and on talking to that lady. What I do when looking for a sponsor is I ask the "candidates" out for coffee, then I ask them how recovery is working in _their_ life. That helps me get a better idea of how good a "fit" they might be.

Mike
Old 02-22-2009, 09:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That sounds like a great idea, Mike, thanks! My phone will be back on tomorrow, and I can call her then.

It feels good having that white chip in my hand. My "potential sponsor" asked to see it last night, and when I showed it to her she told me that the reason she was celebrating her 24th anniversary was because of people like me just starting out. Lots of people stopped me to say congratulations...so nice.

BTW...I didn't tell AH about getting the chip last night. He would just make fun of me and tell me that I don't really need it anyway. It's none of his business, IMHO.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
If you are lost, stand still

Originally Posted by Glenna9802 View Post
BTW...I didn't tell AH about getting the chip last night. He would just make fun of me and tell me that I don't really need it anyway. It's none of his business, IMHO.
Ugh. I'm sorry.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
I'm growing

Sounds great!! good for you!

I agree the only way to find out about a sponsor is to ask.

If she can't do it maybe she would do it as a temp. Yes mst people do/will sponsor a few people at a time.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I went to my first speaker's meeting last night. It was Alanon sponsored, but also open to AA - and also had two speakers, one AA and one Alanon. It was really great. This particular meeting happens once a month in the same place - - which reminds me that I wanted to set my calendar to remind me about it every month..........(God, what did I ever do without my electronic memory?!?)