My Sister

Old 02-15-2009, 04:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Sister

My sister is an end-stage alcoholic who is very near the end. I know in my heart I've done all that I can to try to help her. Last week I initiated a final life or death intervention with family and substance abuse professionals who had been treating her. She was told she is near the end if she continues to drink. She was furious at no one but me. Her brain is so far gone she felt I had unfairly convinced these professionals that she was "crazy". She yelled at me, left me a nasty phone message and despite my attempts at detachment I cried. Right now she is home - drinking again - saying she wants to die. I know her future is up to HP but I am in so much pain about this.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
cmc

Hello Luka, and welcome to SR.
I'm so sorry about your sister's condition. It's so painful to watch someone continue to do this to themselves. I'm glad you found us here at SR, there are plenty of great people who will come along and share their experience with you.
Please take good care of yourself and know that you are not alone.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Hello Luka. My grandfather died of lung cancer and still somehow managed to keep smoking until the last day. Denial of any sort is difficult to witness and I am sorry we are meeting because of these circumstances. I have nothing to say to you but that I am thinking of you and I am sure others will come with wise words. Are you consulting a therapist yourself or finding support in others around you? I hope you do. I send you a big hug.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am so sorry this is happening.

Your heavy heart exists because you care so much for your sister.

Please have faith that you've done all you can for her and need turn it over now to your HP to take it from here.

:ghug3

Please stay and keep posting. You will find support here.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am sorry for your pain and that your sister is making this choice. I pray you find peace and acceptance.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
mle-sober

I'm so sorry. My heart goes out to you. I have a brother who is very mentally ill and who refuses treatment. We try to just love him the way he is. It is very painful but it's better than being cast out of his life. I still deeply love him even though he's sick. Sometimes I get glimpses of when he was young and we were all so free.

My thoughts are with you and your sister. Just love her as much as you can. Just love her.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

You are powerless
I know the energy it takes to try and save a life and the disappointment when your loved one won't/can't respond rationally to the help being offered.

Don't take her anger personally...she is really angry at her self for what she's become.