Alcoholic situation on the show "LOST"

Old 02-11-2009, 07:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
No Codie No More.

Alcoholic situation on the show "LOST"

I'm a avid fan of the show LOST, everytime I watch it, it is my escape.

there is this specific scene, where the character BEN has a flashback to his childhood, it showed his parents and his mother is having early labor.. she ultimately dies from it and the father resents his son for it and becomes a alcoholic.

well it goes to when "Ben" is a teenager, its his birthday.. he comes home and his dad is on the couch passed out, he wakes up.. and says "oh, today is the day you killed your mother" and sips another one...

he is older, his father forgets his birthday again.. tells his son "maybe next year I'll remember it".. "he says he'll get a pack and drink some",
well Ben isn't someone you mess with, he goes with his dad and his dad starts drinking in a van.. Ben puts on a gas mask and opens a can of poisonous gas and his father dies.. not important but didn't want to leave anyone hanging...

anyway, I just wanted to tell you how alcoholics are good at using words to hurt us, they come up with things that no one would think of and then they blame us.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

They certainly teach us to come up with blame, don't they. Blame for situations in which no rational person would think to find someone to blame absolutely.

I'm also a huge fan of Lost, and Ben's dad's drinking habits remind me of something I heard a long time ago. In some families alcoholics have drinking "anniversaries" to sort of celebrate those traumatic times that probably originally kick-started the drinking. I think this has been the case with my AF. Christmases were doomed in my family long before the kids came. When I hear stories of what my AF's Christmases were like, I suppose it's no surprise he tends to go on heavy benders around the holidays. It's too bad he can't see how his drinking has stolen him from holidays with his own family.

It's hard not to feel that it's justice (as opposed to murder) when Ben steals his birthday back - liberating himself from his dad's blame IMO.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

By the way drained, how have you been lately?
Old 02-12-2009, 04:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
No Codie No More.

worser.. I feel like there is this emptyness in me. I have to admit she did damage me.

I'm not sure if finding someone else to fill that hole will help, It's not like I want to ruin someone else.

she did say some hurtful things recently, she has the tendency to lie and manipulate but even though I know thats what she is doing, it still amazes me and hurts..

I know I have grown since this is all started but the infamous question is "when does the pain stop?"