Thinking out loud.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Rediscovering myself

Thinking out loud.

I talked to AH last night and told him I didn’t think our marriage was going to work. He asked over and over for me to wait and I did eventually agree to give him a month to find a job. He asked for goalposts and I didn’t give him anything new, find a job and quit drinking.

He blamed a lot of stuff on me, which I expected. Some of his comments were almost comical though. He said when he got a full time job he was going to be very very busy and not have much time. NO kidding. That’s what the rest of the 9-5 world does. Why should he be any different?

He asked if there was someone else… again a comical statement. I don't get a shower every day. A love life is out of the question.

He kept asking me if I wanted this to work out and I kept saying that I did, but I didn't think it's possible. Now, I’m not so sure I do. I don’t want to end a marriage, but the unstable marriage I would be continuing in… that’s not where I want to be either. He’s an alcoholic and there’s always the chance of relapse (especially since he’s not in a program). I don’t want to live with that possibility. I want more children, but I feel it would be irresponsible of me to do that with him. Marriage to someone you’re afraid to have more children with just seems wrong to me. I’m also not sure I could forgive him for what he’s done. I’d like to think I can. I’m just not sure it’s in me.

I keep thinking… I lied to him. I don't want this to work. The marriage we’d save, even if he was sober and all our problems were magically solved… I don’t think it’s enough for me. I'd still have the "what if's" and the memories of the pan he's caused. I still think I’d be happier alone. It all comes down to… I don’t have a reason to keep him in my life.

Does this make sense?
Old 02-04-2009, 10:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can only say it makes complete sense to me!

I have had the same thoughts over and over. Thank you for voicing them. I am anxious to hear input from other on this.

Is it okay to just be so darned tired of someone who has drained you of all positive energy that in the end it's too much to ask for you to stay? I think it would be.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Rediscovering myself

I *think* I'm willing to forgive. But where does forgiveness end and stupidity begin?
Old 02-04-2009, 12:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I keep thinking… I lied to him. I don't want this to work. The marriage we’d save, even if he was sober and all our problems were magically solved… I don’t think it’s enough for me. I'd still have the "what if's" and the memories of the pan he's caused. I still think I’d be happier alone. It all comes down to… I don’t have a reason to keep him in my life.

Does this make sense?
Makes a lot of sense to me. Sounds like you have already answered your own questions about this relationship. hugs to you
Old 02-04-2009, 07:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Rediscovering myself

Here's the line I'm looking for: Just because I forgive him does not mean I give him permission to keep stepping all over me. There's a point when enough is enough.