Tried a different Al-Anon group…

Old 01-21-2009, 09:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tried a different Al-Anon group…

For anyone wondering about trying out a different Al-Anon group after not feeling comfortable in the first one you went to, all I can say is please do try again! I’ve been reading that for months here on the board, and after my co-dependent/AH incident last weekend, I decided these were all signs that I needed to try another face-to-face meeting. I haven’t been to one since last Spring. I tried a couple of meetings at another group, and while the people were nice there, I just didn’t feel overly comfortable. Well, with my breakdown last Sunday, my HP helped guide me to a list of local Al-Anon meetings, and I found one literally blocks from my home. I either never noticed it before or blipped past it b/c I used to have another commitment on Tuesday nights. Anyway, I decided the signs were all in place, and I went last night. It was a small group, all women, and they were all so nice. It just felt “right” to be there. I even overcame my fear of speaking in public & did a little sharing when my turn came up. And, funny enough, the topic I spoke of was fear – overcoming my fear of trusting myself. I decided I really wanted to go again next Tuesday night & when I got home, I realized that I had another conflicting appointment with my therapist. I was bummed until I realized, heck, if this is really important to me, I can re-schedule that appointment. So, this morning, I moved around that appointment and another one, and now I have my schedule all fixed up, and I feel really good about taking care of myself. Just had to share. Thanks.