Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

Surly judge, inauguration in the courtroom and an engagement!

Old 01-21-2009, 08:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What a day yesterday was. Thanks to all of you who thought of me dealing with my divorce hearing. It means a lot for me to come back here and go through your well-wishes on my last thread.

To sum the hearing up- it was surreal. After it being delayed 3 times, we had to sit before a very impatient, crabby judge who wanted no details- only the facts. It threw my lawyer off right away, but she gradually got back her composure and laid everything out. The judge warned us that she was going to watch the inauguration, so she interrupted everything to go back to her chambers and take it in. My lawyer and a friend stayed in the courtroom and watched on the judge's computer. I kept thinking about how years from now I'll remember where was when I saw Obama sworn in.

Afterwards, she had us reconvene and we continued with our arguments and that was that. There were no decisions made. The judge will read over the papers and decide on things in writing in a month or so.

Out of all this, I have to say the best thing about the judge was that she reprimanded STBXAH for flailing around, sighing heavily and rolling his eyes when my lawyer was talking. I have to admit I got a little pleasure out of it- she did something I have not been able to do with him. And after all the verbal/emotional abuse I've endured, it was sort of satisfying to have someone else tell him to knock it off. I'm sure it went right over his head.

And now for the "engagement" part of this thread. . . I picked dd up from STBXAH's apt. last night, and she told me she had big news. He's asking his girlfriend to marry him! I think I've written here how distressed dd has been that he's dating- and he knows this but refuses to believe she might have her own opinion- he thinks it's me feeding her head with ideas. So, knowing that she's not ok with the dating- he asked her how he should propose to his girlfriend?! DD is mad/sad- and so am I, but I have to say that every time I deal with him, I feel more sure of the path I am on. His insensitivity with dd? Flailing around in a courtroom- in front of an obviously cranky judge? That shows some amazing arrogance. No thanks.

Now, my task is to be patient with the bizarre legal system, and try to help dd through yet another weird incident with her dad. It was a really, really hard day- and I'm sleep deprived, but I'll get my mojo back. As usual- thanks for listening- and stillsearching- I hope your hearing went well for you. ~Paj
Old 01-21-2009, 08:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What a bizarre day! Oh well, a bit more waiting and it will be done.

I am sorry your daughter has to deal with your father being an azz but with your help she'll be fine.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hey paj

congratulations!!! i can't believe the judge actually made you wait while she watched the inauguration - unprofessional, geez.... how well, the job got done and you made it through it.

you sound so great!!!
Old 01-21-2009, 09:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Just wanted to say what an amazing woman you sound like, and wonderful it must have been for you to take yourself on the high road while your STBXAH definitely took the low road. I hope you do something nice for yourself today. You deserve it.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CatsnDogs4Me View Post
Just wanted to say what an amazing woman you sound like, and wonderful it must have been for you to take yourself on the high road while your STBXAH definitely took the low road. I hope you do something nice for yourself today. You deserve it.
Thanks- I could use a nap!
Old 01-21-2009, 09:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sounds like a very interesting day!

I can't believe the judge stopped everything to watch the inauguration. Makes you wonder about people sometimes.

I'm sorry your daughter had to deal with more craziness from her father.

Just think in about a month it will all be over. SOunds like YOU did just fine yesterday.

Congrats!
Old 01-21-2009, 10:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Rediscovering myself

What ever happened to the olden days when people got divorced before they got engaged?

((Paj))
Old 01-21-2009, 10:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey Paj
(((hugs))))
the whole thing can get pretty surreal when dissolving a marriage and the quick engagement?!! Well live and let live I guess. Your warm consistent support will guide your DD. I was actually glad when my exH got remarried - because he is such an irresponsible person - and I knew he would hook up with a woman who is organized (he HAS to) so I felt like my kids (they were still little then) were so much safer in the wedded household where I knew someone was on the ball. And they have a really good relationship w/ stepmom and stepsis now - and Dad is STILL out to lunch....
*sigh*
hang in there Paj!!
peace-
B.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Pajarito....amazing! You talked a little while back about going through a rough spot, and doubting yourself. But look at you now! What a role model for the rest of us.

:ghug3