Help for my kids

Old 01-09-2009, 06:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Beebutterfly

Help for my kids

I just found out that my husband has been not only drinking for years (kinda knew that, just didnt know how bad) but has been addicted to pills. Roxy's being the lastest. He is a detox center and will be transfered to a rehab tomorrow. My question is where do I get the help for our children. I have two teenagers and one little one. I have heard of Alateen and someone mention to me Alatot but I have had no luck finding meetings for them. I have spoken with their guidance counselors at their schools and they know they can talk to them but I was hoping to find something that was a little more at their level of understanding and for them see that they are (unfortuately) not a lone in this. Any advise is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome! I suggest you put this post in the Family and Friends forum, as there are many people there with similar troubles and they may have more suggestions for you than we could in this forum. Perhaps one of our mods can move this to Newcomers or Friends and Family.

Again, welcome!:ghug3
Old 01-10-2009, 07:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Many school systems can put you in touch with groups that are age specific. You may also want to look into individual or family counselling.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Alateen has literature you can purchase that is aimed at teens.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You may also be able to call the rehab he is going to and ask if they have family programs or can refer you to counselors who deal with family and addictions. The dynamics of addictions can be different than just regular family counseling.

Alateen is a wonderful resource too, and free!
Old 01-10-2009, 12:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Welcome to SR. There are lots of folks here who have been or are where you are now. Lots of good Experience, Strength, and Hope (ES&H) on these threads.

Since I don't know where you live I couldn't narrow it down to your area, however if you go to this page:

How to find a meeting in the US/Canada/Puerto Rico

It's pretty 'self explanatory' and you will find some meetings in your area.

Hope that helps.

Definitely check with the rehabilitation Center that your Husband will be in and see what they offer for you and the children, or what they can recommend.

Alanon, also has a web page where you can locate meetings in your area.

Again, Welcome to SR.

Please keep posting and let us know how you are doing, we do care very much.

Love and hugs,