More baby steps

Old 01-07-2009, 03:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

More baby steps

Last year I left my AH after 20+ years of chaos and started looking after myself. It's been a painful but rewarding journey that is still continuing. I still battle my demons but not every minute now.

I met a very nice man a few weeks ago and made it very clear that I did not want/need a "relationship" or anything physical, just platonic. We had a good conversation about this, for the first time I was very truthful and clear about my needs. Kudos for me on that one. I continued to see him until a week or so ago when he started getting very possessive about my time. Asking me to change my group meetings, my mediation times, calling me 5 times a day.

In my past I would have ignored the red flags and my inner voice. Guess what? This time I didn't.

I reiterated to him clearly about my needs and recognized his needs - that he wanted a relationship. I told him I understood but it would not be coming from me. My recovery comes first. So, I told him I would not be seeing him anymore.

I feel very good about my decision, I recognized a problem, dealt with it and let it go.

So many times I've ignored my inner voice my gut feelings. I find now that I am much more in tune with myself, this is one of the gifts that self discovery has brought me.

Meditation has really helped me too, I find I am much calmer now. I have my moments of clarity where I can actually sit back and reflect on a problem.

Baby steps are grand! K.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

Wow excellent stuff Kingston! I hope this clarity is with me if I begin a new relationship too,

Thanks for sharing.

Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 01-07-2009, 06:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I see this as much more than a baby step. Good for you!