I love the dog more...it's official...

Old 12-29-2008, 11:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I love the dog more...it's official...

I posted the before christmas about being told I love the dog more, it's official I love the dogs more.

There are some similarities though in both AH and dogs.

Both need potty training and still make messes in the houses, but dogs are way easier to clean up after.

Both bark, dogs usually are just wanting to eat or go potty though. AH is telling me I'm not doing something enough.

Dogs give unconditional affection and love no matter what.

Dogs are way cheaper to feed.

My dogs don't drink, I know that for a fact because AH has offered my dogs beer before. Being the smart animal they are, they turned it down. Good dogs.

I definately choose the dogs.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

........and, dogs deserve the love and affection that we pour into them. they give so much back to us.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

I have to agree with you on that one. I always said if I had to chose he would lose....
Old 12-30-2008, 03:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

Old 12-30-2008, 04:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have a black lab and he is warm to lay with and give him a good rub down and he is good for the night. I choose the dog too!
Old 12-30-2008, 06:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AKA 'grewupinabarn'

inahaze,
ROTFL!! I almost spewed coffee all over the keyboard.
My lord, the dogs I grew up with were the sanest in the house!
If I could still hug Tara 1, Tara 2, Terry, and Colleen I would - they brought some peace. All dogs go to heaven.
Instead I send some (((((hugs))))) to your dogs. I hope they find lots of good aromatic fence posts and good belly scratching in the new year.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I understand where you are coming from, feeling that you love the dogs more right now. Really I do. But I have to say I find the comparisons you make between dogs and alcoholics rather offensive. As troubled as they are, alcoholics are people worthy of respect whether they are in denial or recovery.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

Originally Posted by Barbara52 View Post
...As troubled as they are, alcoholics are people worthy of respect whether they are in denial or recovery.
I completely agree with that! i hope that none of our AA-ing friends have taken offense, I thought the topic to be light hearted and none judgemental.

Despite my personal beliefs about respecting Alcoholics in recovery or not, as they are humans and deserve such; I still found humour in the post.

Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Old 12-30-2008, 07:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oh I understand humor is often very necessary in dealing with our various situations.

Perhaps I am being overly sensitive today. But just as I find no humor in racist jokes/humor, I find no humor in humor at the expense of alcoholics either.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you found it offensive.

My AH doesn't get a lot of respect from me due to the present and past. If I can't find some humor in my situation, I think I might lose my mind.

My AH hates my dogs and has no problem in telling me he doesn't like them. I just find it humor that the very thing he hates has better manners than he does and can be much more loveable and definately less judgemental.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I hope I didn't make a racist remark. My dog is a black lab and wouldn't trade him for the world. He worries about me more than anyone!!! He feels my stress and follows me from room to room where ever I go. I love him dearly. I also love my husband. Not in the way I used to but always will. I am sorry if I made the error of posting this incorrectly.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing about your dogs!! I love my dogs, I swear my nine year old Yorkie and I get along better than me and most people!!
Old 12-31-2008, 10:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
AKA 'grewupinabarn'

Ok, I am feeling a bit guilty laughing at the joke.
It just reminded me so fully of the contrast of the humans and the so-called non-sentient creatures in an insane alcoholic family.
There was a recent news article regarding scientists who discovered that dogs can experience envy (example from study - a dog will not obey a command if it sees another dog getting more food for the obeying the same command). I don't think this observation is a surprise to any dog owner.
At least the dogs are envious about REAL stuff - we humans often make it up.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I would have to say that I love my dogs too. I love the RAH but when he was active FORGET IT. Give me a dog, cat, a damn donkey and I would love it more.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

ok trying to get a picture to show up on the left of my new baby, but can't seem to do it.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I think it's perfectly okay to keep a sense of humor about this. At times, my dogs have been my only solace in the many unfortunate nights and days I've spent with my AH in his active addiction. It's a scary and sad place to be when the addiction takes over the person you love and long for. Your desperately looking for love, understanding and compassion at those times, and then there it is...looking right at you with those big eyes and a sweet face (I say this as one of mine munches on the kleenex I just used to dry my tears...no joke This post made me laugh at a really hard time...so thank you.

PS- For the record, I think dogs are probably better than most of the people I've known in my life...They are truly precious.

On another note, I've honestly found it quite interesting that many of the members of the friends and family forum are animal owners/lovers...it's something I noticed right off the bat.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:07 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

"Good dogs" LOL
Thank you for making me laugh. Once again at work, now in New Year's eve with my family leaving in a few hours and stuck in the office.
But well. Barb!! I hope you do not take offense. It was just humor.. much needed and yes, reading the joke I do not feel sorry for the people, but for the dogs! If they could talk they would be offended by the comparison, they are so noble...
Old 12-31-2008, 04:16 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I've always loved the prayer:

"Please help me to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Happy New Year!

L
Old 12-31-2008, 04:57 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

thanks for the laugh...as the recovering alcoholic and dog owner...i didn't take offense....maybe when i was drinking, but then again, everything made me angry...i agree that dogs are definitely more loyal and loving than most humans..imo....we just had to put our 10 yr old collie/huskie mix down yesterday from cancer, so i know just how near & dear they are....i appreciate the chuckle at a very difficult time!
Thanks!
Lisa
Old 12-31-2008, 08:59 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

i have always loved my dogs more than my stbxah, they never put me through the kind of h*ll he did, dogs are way easier to love and ten times cuter most of the time!

sorry to the ones who took offense, but i have zero respect for my stbxah, none what so ever, and its hard to think of him as human, he deserves no respect from anyone, the amount of pain he inflicts on others, not only me at one time but his family, makes him lower than low, but i dont believe this post was meant to be taken so literally