I love the dog more...it's official...

Old 12-31-2008, 09:09 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Late stage optimist

Happy new year, inahaze:

My dogs taught me most or all of what I now know about unconditional love. They never had a harsh word or look for me no matter how badly I behaved toward them. After some years of companionship I learned what it means to be tolerant and have restraint toward them and people (well, most people) when I don't like what they are doing. I would rather have a dog as a companion. The emotional investment yields a 400% return.

On the other hand, with humans we can't project anywhere near that healthy a return. It is still worth it to have relationships with our human partners. But if they have addictions, it is better to withdraw the investment until they are out of their personal recession.

We just put down our last Dalmatian on December 1st. She was my best friend, had been with me almost my entire 14 1/2 years of recovery. She was with me through all the best times and worst times of my adult life. I would not have survived those times the same without her. I miss my dogs.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:11 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Toward the end of our relationship, my XABF put his foot down and shouted, "You have to choose: it's me or the dog."
(It was his way of controlling how much happiness I was allowed to have - my dog brought me a lot of joy, and was no trouble at all to any living soul)

Guess which one was still in my bed a year later, chasing rabbits in his sleep?

My motto here: A's need to watch out what they ask for...they might just get it
Old 01-01-2009, 04:39 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

its hard to think of him as human, he deserves no respect from anyone
This is very disheartening to read. I try my best to always remember that there's a human behind the disease. Every person deserves respect.

Perhaps I am being overly sensitive today.
I don't think you're being overly sensitive, Barb. I appreciate humor, too, but not at the expense of others. That's when it gets uncomfortable for me.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:57 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I don't believe every person deserves respect. You have respect, you lose it, you earn it back, it's not a given right.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:23 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FormerDoormat View Post
This is very disheartening to read. I try my best to always remember that there's a human behind the disease. Every person deserves respect.
Although jokes may indeed be funny, I try not to lose the fact that all people are God's creatures and worthy of respect. That doesn't mean their actions/behaviors/choices are worthy of respect but they are people.

Originally Posted by FormerDoormat View Post
I don't think you're being overly sensitive, Barb. I appreciate humor, too, but not at the expense of others. That's when it gets uncomfortable for me.

Thanks. Jokes always are at someone's expense. Always.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:10 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

both bark for no reason
both drool uncontrollably