first step

Old 12-28-2008, 04:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
mtr

first step

I'm tired of feeling tense and guarded in my own home. I've been married for 22 years and my spouse has always been involved with some sort of substance abuse. Early on, it was drugs (not completely sure he's 100 percent clean), but now he's substance of choice is alcohol. There has always been a mix of both; however, the alcohol has seem to increase though the years. His father was an alcoholic and he acts like its his right of passage. Unfortunately my household has experiences some very tense and verbally abusive moments due to his drinking. I've always pushed for him to get help, but my time for healing is long overdue. This is just a brief introduction to what I hope will be the door I need to open for some much needed healing to move forward with my life.

Regards,

mtr
Old 12-28-2008, 04:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Welcome, MTR. I found Alanon and daily posting on SR to be real life savers. Check out the stickies on the top of the forum, especially the ones on the various types of spousal abuse. You'll find them informative and eye opening.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, mtr. I'm glad you're reaching out to create some support and healing for yourself, and I'm especially glad you found us. This is a really terrific community of support.

I too would encourage you to check out the Sticky posts (VERY helpful) and if you have a local Al-Anon meeting or two you can check out, you might get quite a lot out of it. I know I did.

Hugs,
GL
Old 12-28-2008, 06:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome! This place has been a wonderful resource for me.